2024 Draft Thread - Friday June 28 and Saturday June 29 - Sphere Las Vegas

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DragoGrizzly

Oct 2, 2019
His brother Cole is draft eligible this year and many project him as potentially better.
Speaking of Cole, I wonder why he’s not getting talked about very much. Especially since he broke the record for most points by a d-man in the USNDTP surpassing his brother. Is it just the size thing like it was with his brother?

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Speaking of Cole, I wonder why he’s not getting talked about very much. Especially since he broke the record for most points by a d-man in the USNDTP surpassing his brother. Is it just the size thing like it was with his brother?
He's taller apparently at his age than Lane Hutson.

He will rise.

Reactions: DragoGrizzly

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
His brother Cole is draft eligible this year and many project him as potentially better.
That was true before this year started, but I havent really seen anyone say this as the years played out. He'll be gone in the 2nd. Wouldnt take him at 23.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Lane scored more points during their draft year. Cole outproduced him in the u18s.

Fonzieleaf

Jul 8, 2013
Collingwood, Ontario
The more I hear about EJ Emery the more I think he will be a good fit for us if Solberg is gone before 23. He's a true shut down D man who skates like the wind. 6'3 and around 200 pounds, the guy is jacked. There are 15 drills in total. He was in the top 10 in 8 drills, top 5 in 7 drills, and 1st in 4 drills (body fat %, horizontal jump, vertical jump, and no arm vertical jump). He is probably the best conditioned prospect. He's considered the best rush defender in the draft by dobberprospects. Also an adequate cycle defender. Loves to hit but is not always looking for the big one; he picks and chooses wisely. His offensive production isn't the greatest but he still managed 16 points (all assists) in 61 games for the NTDP and had 6 assists in 7 games in the Under 18's (Cole Hutson was his partner).

Would be a great option, especially considering that Tre has made it clear we are looking for big, strong, shut down D for playoff style hockey.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
The more I hear about EJ Emery the more I think he will be a good fit for us if Solberg is gone before 23. He's a true shut down D man who skates like the wind. 6'3 and around 200 pounds, the guy is jacked. There are 15 drills in total. He was in the top 10 in 8 drills, top 5 in 7 drills, and 1st in 4 drills (body fat %, horizontal jump, vertical jump, and no arm vertical jump). He is probably the best conditioned prospect. He's considered the best rush defender in the draft by dobberprospects. Also an adequate cycle defender. Loves to hit but is not always looking for the big one; he picks and chooses wisely. His offensive production isn't the greatest but he still managed 16 points (all assists) in 61 games for the NTDP and had 6 assists in 7 games in the Under 18's (Cole Hutson was his partner).

Would be a great option, especially considering that Tre has made it clear we are looking for big, strong, shut down D for playoff style hockey.
Also when is the last time we had a legit D prospect to get excited about? Lilly? Like we scream about improving our D but at some point we should address that in house. EJ would a nice addition to the prospect pool

Fonzieleaf

Jul 8, 2013
Collingwood, Ontario
Also when is the last time we had a legit D prospect to get excited about? Lilly? Like we scream about improving our D but at some point we should address that in house. EJ would a nice addition to the prospect pool
We haven't drafted a D with our first pick since Sandin in 2019. He's gone and Lily I don't think is going to be here much longer. So yes we need a legit D prospect.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
So because the Leafs don't have a 2nd round pick, they would select a lower ranked player on their list over a higher ranked one 🤔
Letourneau. We need dmen. So, yes, not having a second is potentially bad. I see a bunch of would be firsts slipping through. How do you resist a 6ft 6 Cman Tage deux? Or a Cole Hutson? Just saying.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
When you are 23 you truly take what falls. Yes we need dmen and C. But if yet another 40 to 50 goal winger falls? They interviewed Eiserman, if that guy falls, trade up.Toronto needs dmen and C but don't have the draft capital.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
When you are 23 you truly take what falls. Yes we need dmen and C. But if yet another 40 to 50 goal winger falls? They interviewed Eiserman, if that guy falls, trade up.Toronto needs dmen and C but don't have the draft capital.

This draft is unlikely to help for 2-3 years, especially on defense, so BPA.

Any defenseman this year isn't going to solve any problems before Matthews is UFA again.

Scion

May 25, 2012
He is a little big bigger than his brother and better defensively, but despite the point totals he is not as dynamic as Lane.

chamchibap

Jun 15, 2018
What? If you haven't watched them play that's fine but don't say they can't move the puck when that's just not true at all. Emery definitely needs to get better with the puck but Elick can move the puck just fine. Both are good skaters and already sound defensively and on the PK. That alone makes their floor higher than most. I wasn't too high on either a while ago but Elick has grown on me and Emery I won't act like I know too much about because I've seen very little of him but his reach and defensive game is already very good.

Elick on the other hand probably has a higher ceiling because he has shown already he has some offensive potential. His team wasn't great this year but next year they should be pretty damn good and Elick will be the #1D most likely and possibly playing on the PP. So he'll be in the perfect situation to get better offensively.

Friej is just like a lot of other defenders like him. Good skaters but if they aren't producing offece they aren't really doing much of anything. He's weak on the puck and we see players like that all the time not have a good career in the NHL. I wouldn't be mad with picking him because I do like him but is he really better just because his offensive game is better? I think I like the defender who can play defence better and can get better offensively over a guy who is better offensively and not a great defender. I also like Luchanko and wouldn't be mad with that pick.

Maybe I caught the wrong games, but neither Emery or Elick looked remotely skilled offensively. Emery seemed a little more explosive (could even just be the camera angles) but I don’t think there’s much separating the two. Both were making sort of reactionary and simple plays, which could be the product of coaching or teammate quality as well.

Defensively, the skating, size, and the competitiveness were great to see. At this point, think both are a level below the top tier guys in controlling the game, understanding the game and preventing plays, and playing with poise. But like you say, a little opportunity, growth in confidence and coordination/strength, these guys could be impact players. Tons of top 3 D are picked outside the top 15, could definitely happen with these two.

I think their floors are something similar to Benoit, which may sound bad but it’s valuable and playable in the playoffs. On the other hand, the floor for small offensive D who struggle on the defensive side (i.e Sandin) are unplayable. All that to say, I hope Stolberg is still available but wouldn’t mind Emery or Elick if our scouts see something they love. Might be able to trade back and still get one or both though

Reactions: aingefan

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
It may well be that the best option available at 23 will be a C, and it would be hard to argue if they could add a potential 2C.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin

This draft must be crazy. First youre sayin we could get a Tage Thompson late first/early 2nd, and now youre say we could get a 40-50 goal scorer too. Sheesh, I wonder what the top 15 players are going to become if this is the case.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002

Any defenseman this year isn't going to solve any problems before Matthews is UFA again.
I sus
This draft must be crazy. First youre sayin we could get a Tage Thompson late first/early 2nd, and now youre say we could get a 40-50 goal scorer too. Sheesh, I wonder what the top 15 players are going to become if this is the case.
Louterneau a 6ft 6 C, is compared to Tage but could go say 32nd. Eiserman was interviewed by us and could very well be a 40 goal guy but not likely to fall to 23rd spot. I think its a good draft and we need a 2nd rounder.

horner

May 22, 2007

We have been saying this for 5 yrs we have one one rd.
We have no dman in the system , we have traded every pk to go for it , it hasn't worked out.
With what McDavid is doing shows that greatness can carry a team .
I have never seen mathews rise to these hieghts.
We need to build a defense.

or

Grab a forward with the most potential and trade one of our young players to grab said dman
Ljiligren
Robertson
Minten
Grebyonkin

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
We have been saying this for 5 yrs we have one one rd.
We have no dman in the system , we have traded every pk to go for it , it hasn't worked out.
With what McDavid is doing shows that greatness can carry a team .
I have never seen mathews rise to these hieghts.
We need to build a defense.

or

Grab a forward with the most potential and trade one of our young players to grab said dman
Ljiligren
Robertson
Minten
Grebyonkin

The problem we've never seen that from Matthews and it likely isn't in him.

So whatever they've done the past 5 years should be flushed. It's gone. Maybe Matthews is Ovechkin, and his career will be about chasing most goals, and a fluke Cup somewhere.

So grab the BPA for the future, not to fix Matthews.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The problem we've never seen that from Matthews and it likely isn't in him.

So whatever they've done the past 5 years should be flushed. It's gone. Maybe Matthews is Ovechkin, and his career will be about chasing most goals, and a fluke Cup somewhere.

So grab the BPA for the future, not to fix Matthews.

I don't know how to describe it but it felt like that team got a lot better when it became about more than just Ovechkin and friends, they genuinely had good players around him and good depth. Ovechkin didn't have a playoff like McDavid is having, he was just consistently good and they had other guys step up with some big performances too.

The problem is the Leafs haven't had the $$ to surround the top end guys with additional depth because so much was going to only 4 guys. They never pivoted off this and until they do, there will be no success.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Not going to lie

Eiserman scares the crap out of me, he's got a great shot on him but he's been slowly falling on a lot of public draft boards and we have shoot first centers

I'm not sure that's a great mix

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Not going to lie

Eiserman scares the crap out of me, he's got a great shot on him but he's been slowly falling on a lot of public draft boards and we have shoot first centers

I'm not sure that's a great mix

How do we feel about Alfons Freij?

He could be an option for us.

I feel like we're at the spot where we can get a little lucky with 1-2 guys dropping to us.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Is there a plausible scenario we could trade back and draft Emery or Elick and another between Shuravin or Pulkkinen? That would totally change our D pipeline
It could very well be one of those years that trading back is successful. I see more serious discrepancies in the rankings than usual which could lead to teams still seeing their guy available at 23 and wanting to secure him. Of course that could happen any year but the volatility in this drafts rankings suggests to me a higher potential for a solid trade back option than other years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad