GDT: 2024 Draft Discussion

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I get you have to take BPA, but I can't say I won't be a bit disappointed if it is Solberg. Opinions on him seem to vary greatly.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Don't we usually have one of those 'who do you think we will draft?' polls up? I don't know how to make polls, but I'd vote for one of the Norwegians.

Who I'd like us to draft assuming there are no surprise fallers:
(In order of preference)
Hage
MBN
Solberg
Luchanko
Jiricek

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
My favorites in order:

If they fall (they probably won’t)
Iginla
Helenius
Catton

Guys expected in our range
MBN
Hage
Solberg
Luchanko
Boisvert
Stiga

Reactions: jkutswings

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
Please no. That’s like the one outcome that would actually piss me off.

If he’s the player available with the highest expected impact on the ice then it’s a solid choice. Most players picked 15 and later score less than 0.5ppg as defensemen and less than 0.7ppg as forwards so you need to consider the other stuff like defensive ability, physicality, intangibles.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If he’s the player available with the highest expected impact on the ice then it’s a solid choice. Most players picked 15 and later score less than 0.5ppg as defensemen and less than 0.7ppg as forwards so you need to consider the other stuff like defensive ability, physicality, intangibles.
I don’t think he is and I just don’t value this type of player this highly.

Those of you that think we should trade a first for Cernak should like this pick.

Again, I just don’t value that type of player this much. I don’t think he has enough of an offensive game to be picked this high.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020

Those of you that think we should trade a first for Cernak should like this pick.

Again, I just don’t value that type of player this much. I don’t think he has enough of an offensive game to be picked this high.

I’m a huge fan of Cernak but he’s only worth a 2nd or a B prospect like Buium or Wallinder. I’d do that move, but a 1st for a second pair defender in the offseason is crazy talk.

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006

It is a difference to trade a 1st for 27-year-old Cernak at 5,2mil with some mileage or draft a Cernak and enjoy at least 7 years of limited cap hit.

Reactions: OldnotDeadWings

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It is a difference to trade a 1st for 27-year-old Cernak at 5,2mil with some mileage or draft a Cernak and enjoy at least 7 years of limited cap hit.
I wouldn’t trade a 1st for Cernak, either. Guy has never players more than 19 minutes a night in his career and gives you nothing on offense.

Ask those that have suggested we do it on here.

Reactions: Michael Brand Eggs

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Cernak played 6 seasons already

Yes D+1 and D+2 in Erie and D+3 in Syracuse then in his D+4 he graduated from Syracuse to Tampa.

Isn't Solberg considered one of the most NHL ready players in the draft?

Maybe so. If Edvinsson didn’t get a real cup of coffee in this org until his D+3 I don’t see Solberg getting involved much faster.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I'm still hoping for Eiserman.

We need a goal scoring winger, and thats exactly what he is. Draft him, and try to develop the other areas in his game over the next 2 seasons before he makes the NHL.

Who I want in order (I'm assuming there are no drastic falls like Catton)

1-Eiserman
2-Hage
3-Connelly
4-MBN

Reactions: Barry Amsterdam

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Maybe so. If Edvinsson didn’t get a real cup of coffee in this org until his D+3 I don’t see Solberg getting involved much faster.
They are 4 pounds apart despite Solberg being 5 inches shorter and 2-3 years younger.

IE - Solberg is very advanced physically for his age.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
They are 4 pounds apart despite Solberg being 5 inches shorter and 2-3 years younger.

IE - Solberg is very advanced physically for his age.

Yeah that’s a key distinction. I’m still deeply suspicious that Yzerman would give him meaningful NHL minutes before his D+4, Seider is the only outlier and I don’t think Solberg is that guy.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
For what it's worth, Solberg is much stronger than both Seider and Ed were in their draft years and for several years after, too. Seider had an edge to his game - Solberg is legitimately violent. I would much rather a high-skill forward, but I wouldn't hate the pick. He would be an ideal partner for ASP.

Reactions: lilidk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad