2024 Draft - 1st Pick: Sam O'Reilly (F)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Donner

Jul 16, 2022
Dont know a lick about him, so cant discuss the player. But I am surpised we made this pick and didnt save the 2025/2026 1st for a deadline addition

My other initial impression I couldnt help but shake is comparisons to Kyle Platzer. Ofcourse this guy looks much better. But Platzer at the time was seen as a steal.
-Both were on London Knights
-Draft years were both their first full years, both won Mem Cups their draft year
-Both played a 3rd line center role due to stacked team
- Both seen as high IQ players with room to develop

Reactions: oilers'72

Giggleplex

May 18, 2015
Dont know a lick about him, so cant discuss the player. But I am surpised we made this pick and didnt save the 2025/2026 1st for a deadline addition

My other initial impression I couldnt help but shake is comparisons to Kyle Platzer. Ofcourse this guy looks much better. But Platzer at the time was seen as a steal.
-Both were on London Knights
-Draft years were both their first full years, both won Mem Cups their draft year
-Both played a 3rd line center role due to stacked team
- Both seen as high IQ players with room to develop
Platzer was trending pretty well until 2016, when for whatever reason his numbers fell off a cliff and never recovered.

Interestingly, William Nicholl (7th round pick this year, also a London Knight) has similar numbers to Platzer. Perhaps he'll follow a similar career trajectory, and hopefully without the falling-off-the-cliff part.

Reactions: oilers'72

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Pitlick had 4 things going for him, he was big, he was fast, he was physical and he had a hard shot.

Based on what little I've seen of O'Reilly he has a lot more going for him. He doesn't have that same level of tope end speed or as hard of a shot, not sure how hard he hits, etc. That said he is a good passer, good finisher, has a high hockey IQ, has good vision, plays a gritty style, goes to the areas to score (like Hyman), knows how to find passing lanes, the list goes on and on. Add in that he's a hard working kid and who really knows what his upside could be? If he can get faster and stronger and add a more dynamic element to his skating and shooting the sky is the limit for this kid. If not then you still have a forward that you can trust and can chip in in all areas of the game, like a grittier RNH.

Even looking at his picture, he looks like an AI Mashup between Hyman and Nuge :laugh:

Screenshot_20240703_123347_Instagram.jpg

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Did a deep dive into this player last night. Absolutely loving what I see. Pro style game, high IQ, good skill level and excellent in both ends of the ice. If our development team can help him improve his skating he seems like a sure bet to be a long term NHLer. To play such a mature game as a 17 year old OHL rookie is amazing. Gained a ton of trust from Dale Hunter and was given last minute faceoff duty and D zone assignment when up by a goal late in playoff and mem cup games. Tons of room for him to grow, I expect a big year in London for him next year. Played defense until 2021, so only a few years as a C. Played Junior B just last year and then to come in and earn this role as an OHL rookie is very promising. Rose quickly up draft boards all year as he was given more opportunity.

As always in London plenty of older players with high skill in front of him so will get a lot more offensive opportunity next year. Scouting Report reminds me very much of ROR.

Such progress in short amount of time is what you want to see from prospect, he has that in spades and seems to only be getting better.

Pracey looked over the moon to pick this guy on the draft stage, and I respect the team really stepping up for a guy they believe in. Going to be a fun guy to follow next 2 or 3 years.

Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

For those of you that are more in tune with Junior hockey than I am, what are his chances when it comes to making the WJ team?

I'd say the odds are against him. '05 is pretty stacked for centers with Brayden Yager, Calum Ritchie and Carson Rehkopf. And he probably gets overshadowed by the '06 guys that went higher than him this year in Cayden Lindstrom and Jett Luchanko.

Team Canada does like guys like O'Reilly, so he might squeak onto the fourth line on the wing, but I'd say the next year will be the year he makes it.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I'd say the odds are against him. '05 is pretty stacked for centers with Brayden Yager, Calum Ritchie and Carson Rehkopf. And he probably gets overshadowed by the '06 guys that went higher than him this year in Cayden Lindstrom and Jett Luchanko.

Team Canada does like guys like O'Reilly, so he might squeak onto the fourth line on the wing, but I'd say the next year will be the year he makes it.
I agree he is a longshot. To get a good look he will have to put ups some solid numbers in October. But next year he may well be much more likely to make it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad