2024 Draft - 1st Pick: Sam O'Reilly (F)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Donner

Jul 16, 2022
Dont know a lick about him, so cant discuss the player. But I am surpised we made this pick and didnt save the 2025/2026 1st for a deadline addition

My other initial impression I couldnt help but shake is comparisons to Kyle Platzer. Ofcourse this guy looks much better. But Platzer at the time was seen as a steal.
-Both were on London Knights
-Draft years were both their first full years, both won Mem Cups their draft year
-Both played a 3rd line center role due to stacked team
- Both seen as high IQ players with room to develop

Reactions: oilers'72

Giggleplex

May 18, 2015
Dont know a lick about him, so cant discuss the player. But I am surpised we made this pick and didnt save the 2025/2026 1st for a deadline addition

My other initial impression I couldnt help but shake is comparisons to Kyle Platzer. Ofcourse this guy looks much better. But Platzer at the time was seen as a steal.
-Both were on London Knights
-Draft years were both their first full years, both won Mem Cups their draft year
-Both played a 3rd line center role due to stacked team
- Both seen as high IQ players with room to develop
Platzer was trending pretty well until 2016, when for whatever reason his numbers fell off a cliff and never recovered.

Interestingly, William Nicholl (7th round pick this year, also a London Knight) has similar numbers to Platzer. Perhaps he'll follow a similar career trajectory, and hopefully without the falling-off-the-cliff part.

Reactions: oilers'72

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Pitlick had 4 things going for him, he was big, he was fast, he was physical and he had a hard shot.

Based on what little I've seen of O'Reilly he has a lot more going for him. He doesn't have that same level of tope end speed or as hard of a shot, not sure how hard he hits, etc. That said he is a good passer, good finisher, has a high hockey IQ, has good vision, plays a gritty style, goes to the areas to score (like Hyman), knows how to find passing lanes, the list goes on and on. Add in that he's a hard working kid and who really knows what his upside could be? If he can get faster and stronger and add a more dynamic element to his skating and shooting the sky is the limit for this kid. If not then you still have a forward that you can trust and can chip in in all areas of the game, like a grittier RNH.

Even looking at his picture, he looks like an AI Mashup between Hyman and Nuge :laugh:

Screenshot_20240703_123347_Instagram.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad