2024 Draft - 1st Pick: Sam O'Reilly (F)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
We saw with Reid Schaeffer that we can still trade DRAFTED first round picks at the TDL. We didn't really lose a 1st rounder here. We swapped one in the future for now. So if Pracey sees something in this kid, probably smart to go for the first round steal now as opposed to future drafts where you don't know what you will be looking at.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Jeebus, you run out to the store and clean the kitchen for a few minutes, and what happens? We actually do something! I was about to make a "our scouts are just there to look pretty today" joke earlier, but decided against it.

Seems like a gamble, but the scouting report on this kid is good. Very good. Sounds like a solid pick up.

Now, sign our UFAs Jackson. Lock 'em up!

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The weird part is it seems like this guy projects as a 3rd liner and that’s what the org sees him as too. Trading a first for a bottom 6 forward seems like a lot but whatever. JJ isn’t an NHL GM.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The weird part is it seems like this guy projects as a 3rd liner and that’s what the org sees him as too. Trading a first for a bottom 6 forward seems like a lot but whatever. JJ isn’t an NHL GM.
A lot of scouting reports are reporting low end as a 3rd liner with potential to be more. Let's hope he's more.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
New sheriff in town. Bold move for new Oil management group and its head amateur scout to move aggressively into the first round. Huge faith in Pracey to make this deal. Like it.

No idea about the player but did see his Memorial Cup goal against Moose Jaw when it happened (my first impression was the MJ tender was too deep in his net). Seems like a quality good character kid. Hope his development is at centre and fosters centre wing versatility. Love the Scott Laughton comp which would deliver a mid lineup hard ice competitive player.

Highly recommend peeps check out Gregor's June 26th interview with Pracey. One of the best, albeit dry, interview that gives insight into the scouting process and variables through which to assess a prospect's potential. He seems to have a similar mindset to Jackson and Knoblauch's left-brain logical, analytical thinking style. Link: Archive Shows Archives - Jason Gregor

Draft climber, big upside, strong character and two way game. Welcome to the Oilers Sam O'Reilly.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
They were Vegas fans. They boo'd the shit out of Dallas when it was their turn too with Dallas sucks.

Ah, so fans that will be invisible in a few years once Vegas falls off completely I guess. Lame. Dallas deserves better. Great fans (though I think a few on here were a bit salty). Better than Vegas fans at least

Reactions: TB12

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Oilers Nation I believe
Thanks. Found it. Will listen.

Spotify Link if anyone wants to join me:

Ah, so fans that will be invisible in a few years once Vegas falls off completely I guess. Lame. Dallas deserves better. Great fans (though I think a few on here were a bit salty). Better than Vegas fans at least
Dallas fans were allllll good. Just a bit over confident pre-series but they were fine. Vegas fans took ALOT of Cap Cheating Shit from me all year lol..... surprised they didn't come after me more but still f*** that franchise.

Reactions: Oilhawks

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Seems like he’s a late riser. He’s highest only on Mckenzie’s list which is rare but Mckenzie’s list is the general consensus among actual nhl team scouts. Seems like a high floor player.

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
Seems like he’s a late riser. He’s highest only on Mckenzie’s list which is rare but Mckenzie’s list is the general consensus among actual nhl team scouts. Seems like a high floor player.
First full year in OHL roughly point per game playing team roles on a championship team, bigger role and maturity and growth to his game he could be 80+ points next year with London

Edit and if he really works on his skating you’re looking at a real gem. I wasn’t a fan of the schaeffer pick but I’m fan of this pick

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Yes. Anyone who analyzes a draft and the metrics of the liklihood of a kid even playing in the NHL/being a regular knows that As you get further and further down the draft chain it becomes far far less likely to do that. At some point it kinda evens out (ie a late 3rd vs a 5th) but yes, a late 1st becoming a regular 3rd liner is a great, great result.

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Depends on definition of 3rd liner I guess, only skills I see separating Sam to say Dylan Holloway is skating. Just get Draisaitls workout routine to the kid and we are looking good
Fair I guess.

At the end of the day no trade or move is done in isolation. Interesting to see what else we do here.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Show the receipts...

His last 3 years as director of scouting in Colorado he basically got MacKinnon as the consensus generational #1 Overall pick, and 0 other significant players?

Butcher was decent for a season but cratered after that

1#23
3.png
Conner Bleackley (F)
3#84
3.png
Kyle Wood (D)
4#93
6.png
Nick Magyar (F)
4#114
3.png