2024 Draft - 1st Pick: Sam O'Reilly (F)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Not sure if this move makes much sense, but I guess you can keep trading your first every trade deadline only to re-acquire it at the draft almost indefinitely. Perpetuum mobile.

Not sure if this move makes much sense, but I guess you can keep trading your first every trade deadline only to re-acquire it at the draft almost indefinitely. Perpetuum mobile.
I guess it is also possible they liked a particular player.

• Haha
Reactions: iCanada

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
They need young, cheap depth ASAP, each year later, the less likely the player contributes during the cap crunch

Next year's 1st will be late as well anyhow
Assuming they do not trade Draisaitl and everything goes well. This season could be an anomaly. But the window to win is now. And I guess it is better to get young players into the system earlier.

Sounds more like Ryan O’Reilly 2.0 to me
Sounds like Griffin Reinhart 2.0. lol.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
Assuming they do not trade Draisaitl and everything goes well. This season could be an anomaly. But the window to win is now. And I guess it is better to get young players into the system earlier.

Have you ever read Ryan orielly scouting report from 09? It’s very similar to what I’m seeing in Sam’s

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
My thoughts:

I know absolutely nothing about this kid. I hope he pans out and is excellent. But this seems like best case scenario he is in our lineup in 3 years?

I feel I’d rather have traded the pick for more immediate help with our win now situation
I agree with this statement. We do not know how this team organization will be in 24 months. We maybe in full rebuild mode again. I am looking around on line and most scouting reports had him as a 2nd rounder.

No idea who to compare him to

OilynutEsquire

Sep 24, 2021

What an intelligent comparable, i look forward to seeing more of your astute observations in the future.......

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
to help with the discussion. Looks like a lot people scouts looked at him

Ranked #47 by CONSOLIDATED RANKING
Ranked #48 by ELITEPROSPECTS.COM
Ranked #32 by TSN/BOB McKENZIE
Ranked #35 by TSN/CRAIG BUTTON
Ranked #68 by THN/FERRARI
Ranked #61 by THN/KENNEDY
Ranked #56 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY
Ranked #49 by FLOHOCKEY/CHRIS PETERS
Ranked #124 by FCHOCKEY
Ranked #51 by DAILY FACEOFF
Ranked #24 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (NA Skaters)
Ranked #53 by HPR/MALLOY
Ranked #51 by DRAFT PROSPECTS HOCKEY
Ranked #50 by SPORTSNET/BUKALA
Ranked #31 by RECRUIT SCOUTING
Ranked #44 by DOBBERPROSPECTS
Ranked #32 by SMAHT SCOUT

What an intelligent comparable, i look forward to seeing more of your astute observations in the future.......

I have seen a few places compare him to Dave Bolland

OilynutEsquire

Sep 24, 2021
Watched his 20 min highlight video on youtube, seems to have a decent toolbox and liked to hear about how hard of a worker he is. He seems to be the type of player that helps you win, if his offence continues to improve with more opportunities he could be very valuable to the organization.

Welcome to Edmonton Sam

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
giphy.gif

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
This was a quick scouting report from Ryan Orielly in 09 playing his second year with the Erie otters
One-Timer: O’Reilly, who’s brother Cal suits up for the Nashville Predators, was a point per game player this year in the OHL. He basically is your do-it-all forward and a great team player. The only thing that might hold Ryan back is his skating, even though some scouts have described it as adequate. He’s likely able to overcome any deficiencies with his hockey IQ. He was close to a point per game player in Erie of the OHL this year.

He was drafted 33rd overall and worked on his skating to getting Calder votes as an 18 year old in the nhl.

16 goals 66 points in 68 games with erie

You could call the similarities eerie

Edit I don’t expect him to push for an nhl job next year, but in 2-3 years you bet I think McLeod is looking over his shoulder for 4/3C

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad