2024 Draft - 1st Pick: Sam O'Reilly (F)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Well I only learned about this guy 30 seconds ago but seems like a good pick.

Surprised the Oilers would pay to get into the 1st round to make a pick considering the team's goals, but we do need players developing in the minors again.
I think Jackson feels the impending cap crunch coming with the new massive extensions on the horizon and is getting out ahead of it by strengthening the pipeline with a player that might be ready in 3-4 years to contribute when they'll need cheap, young talent to fill spots. A pretty astute move even if it carries risk.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
@Brock

8. Sam O'Reilly - Center/Wing - London Knights
Another guy that I really like. He's my type of player. O'Reilly is physical. He's hard working in all three zones. He's intelligent. He's got great vision as a playmaker and great anticipation as an offensive player off the puck. O'Reilly is one of those guys that you watch play and you say, "this guy plays a mature, pro style game already." Just think, he's kind of the reverse Henry Mews too. He played a bit of defense in his minor hockey career and has only recently shifted to center full time. He's got lots of runway left to get better. This is especially true once he upgrades his skating further. He needs to get quicker. He needs to get better on his edges to help him escape pressure and help him play with greater pace. He also needs to become more confident in using his heavy shot. He can really fire it, but his release needs to get quicker in order for him to start converting on more chances. Then comes the question about whether he's a center long term? It's definitely debatable. All that said, he's a guy I'd really advocate for in the mid second round. For one, I have a ton of trust when it comes to Dale Hunter developing guys like O'Reilly, who play the game that way that he did. For two, I see so many different paths to the league for O'Reilly. He's got a lot going for him and I think we'll see even more creativity and skill from him when he inevitably earns more ice time and responsibility in London. He flashed it at times during the second half and during London's great playoff run. It's the Hunter model. See Easton Cowan last year.

9. Sam O’Reilly - Center/Wing - London Knights
Highest Ranking: 6th (1x)
Lowest Ranking: Outside of the Top 10 (2x)
Total Votes: 10
Comments:
“Another product of London that just keeps getting better. You are drafting the player he is today but knowing that he will be playing for Dale Hunter for the next 2 years boosts him way up in my mind.” - Mark Seidel

“He plays a 200-foot game and was very versatile for a loaded London team this season. He can play all three forward positions as a right-handed shot and seems to be one of those guys who you could put anywhere in the lineup. One reason why coach Dale Hunter trusted O'Reilly in big spots was the fast the 18-year-old only made the adjustment to forward three years ago, moving from defense to right wing playing in the Greater Toronto Hockey League. Former London players like Robert Thomas (St. Louis Blues), Bo Horvat (New York Islanders) and Luke Evangelista (Nashville Predators) figured out quickly what Dale wanted defensively and were each rewarded for it. O'Reilly's on that similar path.” - Mike Morreale

“Finishing third overall in rookie scoring in the OHL with 56 points, Sam O’Reilly was a great surprise and producer for the London Knights. O’Reilly is very opportunistic as he’s always finding himself in the right spots at the right time for a scoring chance. He displays great intensity and physicality in the tough areas on the ice and is always winning battles along the boards or in front of the net. When he has the puck, he isn’t afraid of driving it to the middle of the ice or crash the net and make a move in tight to freeze goaltenders. His weakness was his skating and speed, but I feel like there have been strides made to get quicker throughout the season. He’s smart and displays a strong work ethic.” - Peter Baracchini

“Though O’Reilly’s skating mechanics lack refinement, he can still gain sufficient speed to take on opponents one-on-one. Developing more agility and lateral mobility on his skates would further enhance his game. O’Reilly has an exceptional work ethic and tireless drive. He strives relentlessly on offense to reach the net, forecheck tenaciously, and engage physically when needed. Moreover, he applies the same diligent effort in the neutral and defensive zones. With his keen hockey sense, excellent anticipation, and ability to visualize plays in advance, he leverages his vision and playmaking talents to create prime scoring chances for his teammates.” - Dominic Tiano

“Honestly, the only thing missing from his game (outside of an increased role) is a more dynamic stride. He’s really grown on me late in the year as I tried to pay closer attention to him in the playoffs and at the Memorial Cup. He’s got the skill. He’s got the hands. He’s got the vision and sense. It’s just that he’s not able to be a consistent play driver without better quickness and confidence moving East/West. Putting it all together is tough for him right now. When his stride improves and he builds confidence (like all London players), he could be a really, really good two-way pivot. As is, he’s already one of the best defensive forwards available this year. There’s a lot of Scott Laughton here. However, that may just be the low end of his ceiling.” - Brock Otten

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
from another board

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
They need young, cheap depth ASAP, each year later, the less likely the player contributes during the cap crunch

Next year's 1st will be late as well anyhow
early indication is that next years draft is deeper than this one.

This kids is about 4 to 5 years away from being ready for the NHL on a regular basis, bases upon what I have read elsewhere

I have no problem trading a first but I would have liked to get a guy who would be in the line up this fall

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
What's the conditions? Most likely going to be a 26 first as there's no way the Oilers aren't trading their first in 2025 at the TDL

Reactions: K1984

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
It’s refreshing that for the first time in memory we prioritized drafting hockey smarts and competitiveness with a higher pick despite it being 32. Those guys always find a way, even if they don’t end up being stars.

We have more than enough skill on this roster and even off roster. Long overdue that we supplemented it with competitive players to fill out the rest of the roster. McLeod’s of the world are cool, but no matter how fast or big or skilled they are, they always wither when the chips are down. Glad we’re going in another direction.

Oilception

Oct 11, 2012
St. Albert
My thoughts:

I know absolutely nothing about this kid. I hope he pans out and is excellent. But this seems like best case scenario he is in our lineup in 3 years?

I feel I’d rather have traded the pick for more immediate help with our win now situation

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think Jackson feels the impending cap crunch coming with the new massive extensions on the horizon and is getting out ahead of it by strengthening the pipeline with a player that might be ready in 3-4 years to contribute when they'll need cheap, young talent to fill spots. A pretty astute move even if it carries risk.
I never thought about it but what you’re saying does make sense.

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
What's the conditions? Most likely going to be a 26 first as there's no way the Oilers aren't trading their first in 2025 at the TDL
What did they trade?

IMG_1033.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad