Prospect Info: 2024 Draft (1/11): Sam Dickinson (D) | London Knights (OHL)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I won’t go into as much detail as I could because my phone is about to die, but here’s the tl;dr for now:

-6’3”, farm boy strong
-Amazing skater in all directions, just covers so much ground in a single stride
-Bomb of a shot from the point, absolutely lethal
-All-situations type of player. Probably PK1 and PP2, 22 minutes a game type of minute muncher
-I have my doubts that he can become a true #1D, but he’s the type of player who can anchor a second pair comfortably with an outside chance to be a top pairing guy
-Decision-making could be better, but it’s no worse than Levshunov and Yakemchuk who went above him
-I prefer Zeev but I’m absolutely not mad about this pick, Dickinson immediately becomes our best prospect after Celebrini and Smith and I think there’s a big gap between him and the next guys (Musty/Mukhamadullin)
-If you browse the main boards thread for Sam, you’ll find me being rather… unkind… but I want to stress that that was when he was being talked about in the 3-5 range. He’s easily worth it at #11
-Probably only one more year in juniors before he’s ready, could probably honestly play a bottom pairing role in the NHL right now and it wouldn’t be a stretch
-Similar playstyle to Noah Hanifin IMO, but his shot is much better than Hanifin while having a little worse puck-handling

I’ll say more later but for now, welcome to SJ Sam! He’s just what the doctor ordered for this team.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
What a stunning outcome for the Sharks. I hadn't even considered Dickinson as a possibility; I started to think earlier today that Silayev might actually be a possibility--there was at least potential reasoning for him to fall--but Dickinson? It just boggles the mind. The combination of size, skating, and shot should have been catnip to NHL managers, but somehow they let him fall. (And yes, Buium, too, very surprising, but at least the defensive questions are a little more valid there.)

The move by Grier to go up to 11 a day early ended up being a masterstroke--what a tremendous outcome. And to think, this was basically the reward for trading Erik Karlsson a year ago, after everyone thought we'd have to pay teams off to get rid of him! I just can't get over it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad