Prospect Info: 2024 Development Camp

Wpgpage

Nov 25, 2010
Think Barlow gets a few games to start the season? Similar to what they did with Sheifs way back when he was not AHL eligible.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
I’m really intrigued by Sward. Is he scheduled to attend other teams’ development camps?

Everything I’m reading about him is very positive. Just sign him Chevy. We all enjoy free prospects especially if they seem to have legit potential.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Thinking about it, I am pretty excited to see our top prospects in the main camp. Salomonsson, Chibrikov and Lambert are pretty much all pro ready. Lucius likely needs a run of games before he's knocking at the door.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Zach Nehring. 6'3".
Speaking of Nehring, he seemed to have a down season in the USHL. Don’t know if it was usage or quality of team, but I was expecting a bit better of a season.

Seems to have the size and tools to be a big physical net front presence/agitator if he can improve his skating and fill out his frame.

Reactions: Gm0ney

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
If Lucius runs he will tear something and miss the whole season.
TNSE had a bunch of these delivered to the Iceplex for him

1000029859.jpg

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
Speaking of Nehring, he seemed to have a down season in the USHL. Don’t know if it was usage or quality of team, but I was expecting a bit better of a season.

Seems to have the size and tools to be a big physical net front presence/agitator if he can improve his skating and fill out his frame.

Nah he was a huge reach at the draft and the poor USHL season was pretty much expected. He's going to be lucky to even make it to the AHL level. Just not a very good prospect.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Nah he was a huge reach at the draft and the poor USHL season was pretty much expected. He's going to be lucky to even make it to the AHL level. Just not a very good prospect.
From what I read, he was expected to go in the 4th round with some teams having him ranked in the 3rd. A reach, sure, but players develop differently. No reason he couldn’t carve out a career as a role player down the road.

Why invite him to development camp if he has no future?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Most lower round picks are long-shots from the moment they are drafted. It's the exceptional ones that develop into players that can alter a franchise's success. Even the small percentage that do carve out an NHL career tend to be more at the lower end of the roster, and there are many ways to acquire that level of player without draft and development.

My view has shifted somewhat, so that I don't think it's all that important to draft and develop prospects that end up in the bottom of the line-up because they are easily available for low cost, and you can actually then acquire players that fit particular needs / roles at the bottom of a roster. Instead, I really think it's quality over quantity of prospects. That usually means picking in the first couple of rounds and hoping to hit a few home runs from those types of picks. Generally, the Jets have done well with their 1st round picks, and until recently they haven't been all that good in the 2nd round. However, Salomonsson and Lambert look like they might be 2nd round / late 1st round picks that can transcend their draft position and become impact players (jury is still out, though).

If Samberg transitions to a good 2nd pair D, he's another option. They have to hope that one of their other higher picks like Perfetti, Barlow, Freij or Lucius develop into top-of-the-lineup difference-makers, but the odds are long.

McGroarty needs to be converted into a prospect or young player or pick that can be a difference maker at the top of the F or D roster.

Lately, the Jets' success has been driven more by some good trades by Chevy, moreso than draft hits. That's helped them to remain competitive, but they really need to nail some draft picks, and hope that some of their drafted players take a leap forward in the next year or two. That's how Dallas has leaped forward, with Hintz, Oettinger, Robertson, Johnston and Stankoven.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad