2024 Copa América

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I’m just wondering if Argentina playing this tournament so far without the need to take it out of 3rd/4th gear will be a problem for them in the final.

Colombia has looked better imo, and are more recently battle tested vs quality teams like Brazil and Uruguay. Argentina conversely has marched to the final without having had to play anyone higher than 30th in FIFA rank.
I would agree. It’s a 50/50 final imo. I could easily see James and Columbia continuing their good form and walking over Argentina

Reactions: DaveG and koyvoo

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I would believe you but you constantly bring up refs and call the win a miracle, you clearly think the WC was undeserved. So too bad so sad we can all see how bitter you are.

Nope no deflection, just pointing out the hypocrisy.

I’d never insult you outrightly. When I say you have amnesia or Alzheimers I’m totally kidding as this is a serious illness I wouldn’t wish on anyone. My uncle suffers from it. Plus you’re one of the very few I like or don’t mind on here.
Yes a miracle save, no idea how it's controversial.

Hypocrisy about me never saying the contrary? OK chief. Go and look at the definition of hypocrisy.

lindros07

Jul 11, 2024
Brazil
Yes a miracle save, no idea how it's controversial.

Hypocrisy about me never saying the contrary? OK chief. Go and look at the definition of hypocrisy.
France was dominated for seventy minutes in that game. Their first shot came from Mbappe, ten minutes into the second half. Had France won the title, it would have been akin to Liverpool's victory in 2005, capitalizing on a moment of inattention from Argentina/Milan.

In the last three minutes, France managed two shots, having failed to register a single attempt in the first sixty-seven minutes of the match. Going sixty-seven minutes without a shot, had they become champions, would have been quite a shame.

France's supposed 'dominance' in world football in recent years seems more attributable to the incompetence of other national teams rather than their own prowess. Never in the history of international football has the state of national teams been as poor as it has been in the last decade. Italy has missed out on two World Cups, Germany has failed to progress past the group stage in two consecutive World Cups, Brazil has experienced a period of decline, and Argentina, from 2016 until 2021, was in a similar situation. A highly troubled Argentina in 2018, which struggled to advance from the group stage, even managed to score three goals against France.

France, with their physically robust team and a few skilled players, have taken advantage of this situation. While this is not meant to belittle their achievements, the deterioration of national team football is undeniable. I sincerely hope to see an improvement in the coming years.

Last edited:
Reactions: BMann

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
France was dominated for seventy minutes in that game. Their first shot came from Mbappe, ten minutes into the second half. Had France won the title, it would have been akin to Liverpool's victory in 2005, capitalizing on a moment of inattention from Argentina/Milan.

In the last three minutes, France managed two shots, having failed to register a single attempt in the first sixty-seven minutes of the match. Going sixty-seven minutes without a shot, had they become champions, would have been quite a shame.

France's supposed 'dominance' in world football in recent years seems more attributable to the incompetence of other national teams rather than their own prowess. Never in the history of international football has the state of national teams been as poor as it has been in the last decade. Italy has missed out on two World Cups, Germany has failed to progress past the group stage in two consecutive World Cups, Brazil has experienced a period of decline, and Argentina, from 2016 until 2021, was in a similar situation. A highly troubled Argentina in 2018, which struggled to advance from the group stage, even managed to score three goals against France.

France, with their physically robust team and a few skilled players, have taken advantage of this situation. While this is not meant to belittle their achievements, the deterioration of national team football is undeniable. I sincerely hope to see an improvement in the coming years.
As I said previously, yes France had no business being in the game in OT.
It doesn't mean that it didn't take a miracle save to prevent them from winning.
Would have been a miracle comeback as well, one doesn't exclude the other.

As for the rest of the post lol.
France being underrated after scoring the most goals in KO stage in 18, knocking out WC in the 16 EC, managing back to back finals, losing only on penalty shootouts, that's hardly just being "robust with a couple of skilled players".
1 player out of 10 in the top 5 leagues is from the Paris area.
I'm sure it's only the "robust ones". :rolleyes:

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
You can tell from the posters who only watch the big tournaments when they say the French team is just made up of big physical players with few skills.

lindros07

Jul 11, 2024
Brazil
As I said previously, yes France had no business being in the game in OT.
It doesn't mean that it didn't take a miracle save to prevent them from winning.
Would have been a miracle comeback as well, one doesn't exclude the other.

As for the rest of the post lol.
France being underrated after scoring the most goals in KO stage in 18, knocking out WC in the 16 EC, managing back to back finals, losing only on penalty shootouts, that's hardly just being "robust with a couple of skilled players".
1 player out of 10 in the top 5 leagues is from the Paris area.
I'm sure it's only the "robust ones". :rolleyes:
In 2018, France conceded 3 goals from an Argentina team that had easily lost 3-0 to Croatia, drew against Iceland, and suffer against Nigeria. They played an average Uruguay team and had a balanced game, with France benefiting from a ridiculous mistake by Muslera for one of their goals. The game against Belgium was very tough, and they won with a goal from Umtiti. The only knockout game where France dominated was against Croatia, a team with many players close to or over thirty (like Mandzukic) who had played three extra-times.

In 2022, when facing the two best teams in the knockout stage, France saw England perform better in the quarter-finals (England had 16 shots compared to France's 8). In the final, Argentina had 20 shots compared to France's 10.

France is one of the most talented teams, though in the current scenario, that may not mean much. Unlike the Brazil teams of 1958, 1962, and 1970, which dominated their opponents, France has never achieved such dominance. This team is more comparable to Germany in the 1980s: consistently strong on the world stage with exceptional individual players like Rummenigge, Völler, Littbarski, and Harald Schumacher. In many decisive moments, they managed to prevail, such as in the 1982 World Cup semi-final against France. Despite being down 3-1 in extra time, Germany came back to draw and ultimately won on penalties. However, they didn't play dominant football.

Reactions: BMann

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
This third place game from Uruguay reminds me a bit of what happened to Team USA at the Olympics after losing 1-0 to Canada, feels like a lethargic game from them after just losing that heartbreaker to Colombia.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
In 2018, France conceded 3 goals from an Argentina team that had easily lost 3-0 to Croatia, drew against Iceland, and suffer against Nigeria. They played an average Uruguay team and had a balanced game, with France benefiting from a ridiculous mistake by Muslera for one of their goals. The game against Belgium was very tough, and they won with a goal from Umtiti. The only knockout game where France dominated was against Croatia, a team with many players close to or over thirty (like Mandzukic) who had played three extra-times.

In 2022, when facing the two best teams in the knockout stage, France saw England perform better in the quarter-finals (England had 16 shots compared to France's 8). In the final, Argentina had 20 shots compared to France's 10.

France is one of the most talented teams, though in the current scenario, that may not mean much. Unlike the Brazil teams of 1958, 1962, and 1970, which dominated their opponents, France has never achieved such dominance. This team is more comparable to Germany in the 1980s: consistently strong on the world stage with exceptional individual players like Rummenigge, Völler, Littbarski, and Harald Schumacher. In many decisive moments, they managed to prevail, such as in the 1982 World Cup semi-final against France. Despite being down 3-1 in extra time, Germany came back to draw and ultimately won on penalties. However, they didn't play dominant football.
Uruguay was super strong. Very tough to beat. Argentina was no gimme opponent, Belgium was arguably the second best team in the tournament and Croatia had beaten squarely every opponent in their path.
In 22, they didn't face Spain because Spain lost to Morocco that France beat. And as I said almost beating this 12 men Argentina was something.

As for the history lessons, I'll pass, I'm not exactly new to the game.
And I never said France was Brazil 70.
But if that's your standard, I suggest you stop watching because nobody will reach these heights ever again.

lindros07

Jul 11, 2024
Brazil
Uruguay was super strong. Very tough to beat. Argentina was no gimme opponent, Belgium was arguably the second best team in the tournament and Croatia had beaten squarely every opponent in their path.
In 22, they didn't face Spain because Spain lost to Morocco that France beat. And as I said almost beating this 12 men Argentina was something.

But if that's your standard, I suggest you stop watching because nobody will reach these heights ever again.
Interesting, a Frenchman talking about Supposed aid, maybe you doesn't know what Platini did for France in 1998, fixing the draw To prevent France from catching Brazil in a knockout phase other than the final, Or let's talk about Henry's hand.

Or how Marseille won the only Champions League of France.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford

Embarrassing to say 12 men like all the other losers who keep moaning about the penalties received by Argentina ignoring the fact those were deserved penalties. That Argentina dominated their matches for the large part post the first goal against Mexico and really should have put SA out of sight too.

France barely had a sniff until Argentina tired and Scaloni didn't make the substitutions quick enough. Created chances again as soon as they were made. Keep crying though.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Embarrassing to say 12 men like all the other losers who keep moaning about the penalties received by Argentina ignoring the fact those were deserved penalties. That Argentina dominated their matches for the large part post the first goal against Mexico and really should have put SA out of sight too.

France barely had a sniff until Argentina tired and Scaloni didn't make the substitutions quick enough. Created chances again as soon as they were made. Keep crying though.
They cry about penalties ignoring the fact that they’d win every game even without the penalties. Getting 2 pens in the final isn’t enough I guess.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Interesting, a Frenchman talking about Supposed aid, maybe you doesn't know what Platini did for France in 1998, fixing the draw To prevent France from catching Brazil in a knockout phase other than the final, Or let's talk about Henry's hand.

Or how Marseille won the only Champions League of France.
Ah Henry's hand which resulted in nothing.
OM I've always been clear about.
As for the 98 match fixing lol, France had to face Italy in the QF. Lol.

12 men lol. You’re a joke
Yup.

They cry about penalties ignoring the fact that they’d win every game even without the penalties. Getting 2 pens in the final isn’t enough I guess.
Hey more power to you.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
As for the subject of France...
They've been in 4 of the last 7 WC finals. They've also been in 4 of the last 8 EC semi finals.
At some point, give credit to France's football formation.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
2000 to 2006 France was very dominant. Way more dominant than the current French NT.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
2000 to 2006 France was very dominant. Way more dominant than the current French NT.
And yet reached 3 finals to this one 3.
And it started in 96, not 00.
And I'd disagree with he dominant. In 98 they barely made the final. They had huge trouble scoring.
In 00 they won tight games all KO stage. Including 2 in OT.
As for the 06 WC, they also struggled (as usual) in the group stage and had tight games again.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
And yet reached 3 finals to this one 3.
And it started in 96, not 00.
And I'd disagree with he dominant. In 98 they barely made the final. They had huge trouble scoring.
In 00 they won tight games all KO stage. Including 2 in OT.
As for the 06 WC, they also struggled (as usual) in the group stage and had tight games again.
I don't care abour 'finals' that current french team stank at the Euro and their supposed best player was MIA. They might have more finals but in term of players and level of play they are not it. You have to be very indoctrinated to find them entertaining and/or dominant.

Last edited:

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
To me, the biggest issue seems to be that the team is stale. In ideas and motivation. Deschamps is a proven winner, but every coach has a shelf life.

Reactions: gary69

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I don't care abour 'finals' that current french team stank at the Euro and their supposed best player was MIA. They might have more finals but in term of players and level of play they are not it. You have to be very indoctrinated to find them entertaining and/or dominant.
Oh look!
In 98 their best player sucked as well. He only shone in the final on two corner kicks.
If you think this team is worse than the 98 you must be endoctrinated yourself or simply ignorant.
Both teams has incredible defenses and awful offense.
In 98 Blanc scored in OT, then 0-0 draw against Italy (penalties) and then the only two goals of Thuram's career.

To me, the biggest issue seems to be that the team is stale. In ideas and motivation. Deschamps is a proven winner, but every coach has a shelf life.
It's possible, we'll see.
ZZ is waiting and there's politics involved.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad