Not open for further replies.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
2024 CFHF Calgary Flames Prospect Rankings

1) Zayne Parekh
2) Dustin Wolf

Here's where it could get interesting.
Coronato or Brzustewicz would be my debate. Leaning Coronato slightly based off that late season callup and how he performed with the Wranglers. Just seems closer to making an impact and definitely has 25G potential maybe even this season if he finds some chemistry.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
I lean towards Coronato, but I could see Brew getting votes here as well. I think the prospects options get real debatable after the top 4.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I like Brzustewicz here. I think his ceiling is bigger than Coronato’s and I’m a big Matty fan. That Lindholm trade feels like a fever dream, how did Conroy pull that off

Reactions: Volica

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I went Gridin, but it wasn't easy. I have him, Solo, Bruiser, Coronato and Pelletier all right there. Picked Gridin because he has the most "boom", even though he also has the most bust potential.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Brewski for me. I think he’ll be a Ryan Ellis calibre player.

I like Coronato but I still have some worries about his skating and how that will limit him in the NHL.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Brewski for me. I think he’ll be a Ryan Ellis calibre player.

I like Coronato but I still have some worries about his skating and how that will limit him in the NHL.

Isn't that still potentially in the vein of a Toffoli type player if he doesn't hit his ceiling?
Brewski a Barrie type if he passably graduates but doesn't fully round out?

Gridin might be a Monahan type of phantom if he hits his peak, but I don't like him here at #3. TBH, I still don't fully understand the type of player he is and when I watch his game, I don't completely agree with the NHL player style comparisons and I've seen Hoffman and Schmaltz here. On paper it kinda seems similar when you look at the tool sets vs Hoffman and Schmaltz, but in the video clips, it doesn't really seem fully accurate either. I think Kuzmenko was mentioned in one of the threads and I sorta see why, but again, something about Gridin's game to me says that he will create his own style that we haven't seen yet. We've seen bits and pieces, but not fully assembled. I'm also not sure what to think due to his high scoring season being comparable to Coronato. I was thinking he might be closer to 5, but I'm also not sure how to rank our defensive minded D prospects.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Gridin might be a Monahan type of phantom if he hits his peak
No. Monahan was all heart. Gridin is more like Alexei Kovalev, immensely skilled but his work ethic is questioned.

Reactions: Fig

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Wolf just speed-running his spot.
Probably going to need more than 4 hours to decide the rest of the list.

Coronato to me looked very close to an NHL player last year, was a tier ahead of everyone in the Wranglers games that I caught with his shot and puck-decisions. Just creates more space than other prospects and I don't know that there's much higher ceilings than his either beyond #1 & 2.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Isn't that still potentially in the vein of a Toffoli type player if he doesn't hit his ceiling?
Brewski a Barrie type if he passably graduates but doesn't fully round out?

Gridin might be a Monahan type of phantom if he hits his peak, but I don't like him here at #3. TBH, I still don't fully understand the type of player he is and when I watch his game, I don't completely agree with the NHL player style comparisons and I've seen Hoffman and Schmaltz here. On paper it kinda seems similar when you look at the tool sets vs Hoffman and Schmaltz, but in the video clips, it doesn't really seem fully accurate either. I think Kuzmenko was mentioned in one of the threads and I sorta see why, but again, something about Gridin's game to me says that he will create his own style that we haven't seen yet. We've seen bits and pieces, but not fully assembled. I'm also not sure what to think due to his high scoring season being comparable to Coronato. I was thinking he might be closer to 5, but I'm also not sure how to rank our defensive minded D prospects.
Tofolli seems like a good projection for Coronato. I am just very high on Brewski. I think he’s got the kind of game that will translate him into being a top 4 D for a long time. Probably doesn’t have the skating to be a top pair D but I think there is just so much talent there that he ends up being very impactful. I see him developing into a Rasmus/Ellis calibre player, and I think that’s quite a bit better than a Toffoli type

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I like Brzustewicz here.
Coronato I’m just not sure about. Like, he might cap out as a slow Mangiapane.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
People seem to have a hard time separating Coronato’s age from his NHL debut and are holding it against him. He was a full year younger than Zary and Pelletier were in their debut seasons. Zary was 4th on the Wranglers in point per game and didn’t get a single game that season, while Pelletier was 3rd and didn’t play a single game either. Coronato paced the Wranglers by a country mile this season while still having a better point per game than either of them, it’s not his fault he got his cup of tea well before the other 2.

He is our 3rd best prospect by far, has a reasonable shot at being a 30-30 player (with room for more), and our only player with top line upside in our forward group outside Gridin who is a long shot to get there.

Reactions: Fig and User1996

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I see Brzustewicz as a cut from the Jay Bouwmeester mold.

Not quite elite but very good. Checks almost everything you want in a minute heavy guy in the top six. Good variety of skills.
Offensively? Sure. Skating? Maybe, I don't know but that is pretty rarified air. Defensively? No, not even a litttle. Bouwmeester could play defense and do it very well. Bruiser has a whole lot of defensive growth to do before one can consider him to be in that mould. He's more in the mould of John Klingberg, if we're very lucky, a poor man's Quinn Hughes.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I've only watched Brzustewicz a little but what I like about him is the % of correct plays he makes. Not flashy by any means but if there's an open man he hits him. Not the high end skater but always in the right position, manages to be very effective without expelling a bunch of energy. Not at all saying he'll reach the same highs but maybe a discount Adam Fox.

The amount of very short passes he makes and completes is promising. I like to see fast and correct decisions from my defenseman. Dmen get so little time and space these days that those kind of 6ft passes on the money or the correct fake and turn is really invaluable. TJ Brodie was a master at this, there's a lot of Pacific teams that wouldn't even bother forechecking him his last couple years with the Flames.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
No. Monahan was all heart. Gridin is more like Alexei Kovalev, immensely skilled but his work ethic is questioned.

I think we're using different words but trying to explain the same thing we're having issues explaining.

Or at least I am.

• Haha
Reactions: Lunatik

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Coronato for me, has an NHL shot and seems to want to improve his skating which he's working with our skating coach on (I forget her name). If he can improve his skating, which I never saw as a big problem anyway, and just build up some strength I see him as an effective 1B/2A winger.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Coronato..we are starting to see the impact of the renovation as I am not sure that Pelletier end up in the top 7 anymore.

Reactions: Mobiandi

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Coronato..we are starting to see the impact of the renovation as I am not sure that Pelletier end up in the top 7 anymore.
I think Pelts deserves to be in the conversation as soon as pick 4, although I'd still have Brewski & Honzek ahead

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I like Brzustewicz here. I think his ceiling is bigger than Coronato’s and I’m a big Matty fan. That Lindholm trade feels like a fever dream, how did Conroy pull that off

When you add 2 of your top 6-8 prospects into your pipeline off one trade that the other team did nothing with; like Van only got to the second round; it's just such a major win for you.

Honestly Conroy with a bit of a rebuilding masterclass last year in terms of pending UFA's.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
@Volica so just because I thought it was interesting on our discussion about Parekh in Poll #1

For what it's worth, Scott Wheeler has Parekh as his 6th best prospects under the following criteria:

"To be eligible for inclusion, a skater must be under 23 years old and not established as a full-time NHL player with their club. The latter qualifier is the arbitrary section of the criteria."

Not saying it proves anyone right or wrong, just how fascinating I view this past draft as out of the ordinary.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Yeah this one is weird to me too. IMO Pelletier deserves to be in the top 5 (see Avatar), but I also feel like he's going to graduate and isn't a prospect... so it's OK he's not in the top 5... or something. I'll probably vote pellets after Coronato and then choose others once we get past the top 5.

Ugh, my brain is kinda mushy from illness and I admit I haven't followed our prospects in much detail for a while due to personal reasons and illness.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
@Volica so just because I thought it was interesting on our discussion about Parekh in Poll #1

For what it's worth, Scott Wheeler has Parekh as his 6th best prospects under the following criteria:

"To be eligible for inclusion, a skater must be under 23 years old and not established as a full-time NHL player with their club. The latter qualifier is the arbitrary section of the criteria."

Not saying it proves anyone right or wrong, just how fascinating I view this past draft as out of the ordinary.

Yeah I know Scott Wheeler was a huge Parekh fan.
Pretty sure he was covering him for a long time compared to other prospects.

I mean it's great to have outside folks high on your prospects, there's no doubt what he did last year in the O was special.

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
I think Pelts deserves to be in the conversation as soon as pick 4, although I'd still have Brewski & Honzek ahead

If this was a next prospect to graduate to the NHL Pelletier should be in the top 3 or 4 for sure BUT that would also mean Parekh should not be in the top 3 or 4 either.

It's when you add in the chances to make a significant impact in the NHL he starts to drop now as more higher ceiling prospects are drafted/acquired such as Brewski, Honzek, Gridin

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
My biggest problem with Coronato right now is that he bleeds goals against at even strength.

The Flames need to find a way to teach Coronato to translate his game to the NHL and at least break even on 5v5 goals for and against. What they shouldn't do is try to turn him into a checking winger, which is why I would hesitate to put him with Backlund-Coleman despite how tempting it would be. I think Zary would be good for him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad