GDT: 2024 Blues Draft Day Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Shwabeal

Feb 24, 2016
Definitely wouldn't classify that as a "Bluesy" pick. Absolutely love the player ignoring the injury. Simultaneously a pretty high floor pick, assuming health, while also being very much boom or bust because of health.

Reactions: BleedBlue14

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I'm more stunned than anything by this pick, even though there was lots of chatter for this last couple days. Jiricek is not a typical Blues 1st round pick in that he has relatively low floor. He is young and raw and missed key development year and was really struggling against men before he got hurt, so this is bigtime risk here that he's Justin Holl or someone similarly unremarkable. I had him ranked 21 because of that risk, because the upside is there. Going into the season he was thought to be likely top 10 pick and may well have been one if he hadn't gotten hurt. So while there is risk, it's not inconceivable that he could be next Petro.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Was not expecting the Blues to pick Jiricek. But I’m hoping that means we arent worried about the injury.

Nonetheless, really like the player. But not the safest pick

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Ok gonna put a positive spin. Before he got hurt he was projected to go top10 and maybe even top 5 according to several experts. This could be a major sleeper.
Kinda.....I remember back in October there were a lot of places that had him 10th-14th. Crazy that he had a lost season and barely dropped at all.

Reactions: Blueston

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I'd consider him much much more of a Boom-Bust pick. He's probably one of the last ones that have the ceiling of a top pair D. But, he also has a big possibility of being a bust. It will all be based on his injuries.

You would have to believe the Blues did their due diligence on the medical side of things before making the pick.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I am not incredibly excited about the pick, but a safe stay at home with a limited ceiling would not have been good. We need to strike gold on defense in the worst of ways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad