Prospect Info: [2024] 7th rd selection - #200 OA - LD, Matt Lahey - Nanaimo Clippers, BCHL (6′5″/203lb)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
LD, Matt Lahey
Screenshot 2024-06-29 151035.png

Rights held until Aug. 15, 2028.

This pick originally belonged to OTT and was acquired by Toronto on Jul. 11, 2022.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
1719688379111.png

Lahey is not just a physical force, but a strategic player who intelligently leverages his size advantages. His defensive style isn’t really centred around cataclysmic hits, but about disrupting the game. He excels at sealing the boards, often pinning puck carriers, trapping feet, and forcing pucks to the outside, showcasing his cerebral approach to the game. -EliteProspects 2024 NHL Draft Guide

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
View attachment 889566

Lahey is not just a physical force, but a strategic player who intelligently leverages his size advantages. His defensive style isn’t really centred around cataclysmic hits, but about disrupting the game. He excels at sealing the boards, often pinning puck carriers, trapping feet, and forcing pucks to the outside, showcasing his cerebral approach to the game. -EliteProspects 2024 NHL Draft Guide

This pick is Mess approved

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Nanaimo Clippers blueliner Matt Lahey is the top-ranked BCHL defenceman on NHL Central Scouting’s Final Rankings ahead of this weekend’s draft, coming in as the 110th-ranked North American skater.

In his second full season in the league in 2023-24, the Victoria, B.C. product took a significant step forward in his development, contributing 19 points in 54 games, a massive improvement from the one assist he registered the year prior. He earned a spot in the league’s Top Prospects Game in January.

We caught up with Lahey to discuss his development in Nanaimo, his thoughts on the draft, his commitment to Clarkson University and more.

+++

BCHL: With this year being your draft year, how were you able to handle that extra pressure?
Lahey: It’s hard to avoid that kind of stuff, but I don’t think I thought about it once when I was on the ice. That being said, it’s definitely something that kind of lingers in the back of your mind when you’re off the ice though.

BCHL: You ended up as the BCHL’s highest-ranked defenceman on Central Scouting’s Final Rankings. Does that mean anything to you?
Lahey: Obviously it’s a big accomplishment, but there’s a ton of other talented defencemen in the league as well.

BCHL: What has your time in Nanaimo done for your development?
Lahey: I think I took a big step forward, in my second year especially. My first year, I kind of used it as a an opportunity to learn from the older guys that had already been there for the previous two or three years. Overall, it’s been a great experience. I’ve really enjoyed my time in Nanaimo.

BCHL: If you were speaking with an NHL general manager or a scout, how would you describe your game?
Lahey: I’m a big puck-moving defenceman who can make plays in all three zones. I like to think of myself as someone who can be relied on in any situation.

BCHL: What would it mean to you if you were to get drafted this weekend?
Lahey: It would mean the world to me and my family, but it’s not the be-all, end-all. My goal is to have a long pro career, so it would be a step in the right direction.

BCHL: You’re committed to Clarkson University once your junior career wraps up. Why was that school the best fit for you?
Lahey: I think the school matches my personality a lot. They’re a smaller school and were actually the first ones to reach out to me, so I think it’s a really nice fit.

Reactions: horner and htpwn

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
View attachment 889566

He's just too big for some. Best we write him off for being over 6 foot.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto

Sort of sounds like Keith Aulie.

Seems like a lot to like, though, especially for a 7th rounder.

Ideally, he is going to have show more offence next year, but he's one of the youngest players in the draft, so there's plenty of time to add that element to his game.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
These very long term projects rarely ever work for the Leafs. He's going to the USHL next season, then the Clarkson afterwards. Unless he spikes in development, I wouldn't expect him to be on the Marlies for 5 years

A lot of times these super long term projects don't work out for the teams that draft them cause it's just not that likely you'll hold onto their rights for years and years for some modest payoff at the end. But hopefully the development curve ramps up and you have a solid citizen at some point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad