Prospect Info: 2024 7th OA : Carter Yakemchuk (RHD)

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Absolutely the right call. He did everything that was asked of him in camp but the regular season is whole other ball game. This team needs to set their lineup and get reps with a new coach. Plus I'd rather have him be more of an impact player while playing on his ELC. We need good cap outcomes like that in the next few years.

Hopefully I can get out to a Hitmen game soon and see how he looks in person.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
This comment is why I'm okay with sending Yak down.

Call him up for the playoffs when we need a bit of extra scoring in the ECF
Can't always get your guy up, as mentioned depends on the playoffs.

I would imagine he's going to be traded to a contender in January, he should be in a lengthy WHL run.

Stone was able to join in 2012 because the Wheat Kings were eliminated.

Sens tried everything in their power to get Chabot up in 2017, but were not allowed

• Wow
Reactions: bicboi64

SensFanInMTL

Apr 25, 2020
1728326889144.png

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I would have liked to see him get a couple of NHL games, but the pressure to get off to a good start may have something to do with it as Green seems to want his roster set to go right off the bat.

It will be interesting to follow him with the Calgary Hitman & whether they trade him at some point to a contender or he helps them get into the playoffs & go on a run. Either way I expect that after his season is done in junior he will come to Belleville for the end of their season run & be available for an NHL callup, if needed. Hope he has another great yr & continues to develop in a very positive way.

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
I remember when Chicago started it's dynasty.

They had Keith and Seabrook first as they were older. Then Toews and Kane came into the league the same year and they seemed to gell into this machine.

I understand Tkachuk and Stutzle aren't Toews and Kane. I do however think Sanderson is that number 1 defenceman like Keith. Maybe Yakemchuk could be a perfect partner.

Defence wins championships and we have 2 studs.

You know what Toronto doesn't have?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I think they sent Yakemchuk down before playing NHL games because they thought there was a significant probability he would have been better than JBD/Hamonic (not a huge bar to clear there) and would have made it a lot harder to justify sending him down after seeing him continue to outperform them in regular season action.

Between this move and Ostapchuk being sent down, it's really nice having a GM that actually prioritizes the long-term development of prospects over immediate short-term benefit.

sena

Jul 3, 2024
I think they sent Yakemchuk down before playing NHL games because they thought there was a significant probability he would have been better than JBD/Hamonic (not a huge bar to clear there) and would have made it a lot harder to justify sending him down after seeing him continue to outperform them in regular season action.

Between this move and Ostapchuk being sent down, it's really nice having a GM that actually prioritizes the long-term development of prospects over immediate short-term benefit.
I doubt his new coach with be asking him to stay back and play any sort of D, Its probably more that they want Chabot off the books when this guy needs a new contract.
He was the biggest rookie standout that has ever showed up to a sens camp

Reactions: DylanSensFan

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Good decision by the team. Let him start right away in Calgary (but definitely lean on Calgary to develop him better and insulate him a bit more) and dominate. Calgary is the key right now....he definitely needs more support down there than what he had last season.

I would've been ok giving him 2-5 games though....a bit more cash in his pocket and probably enough icetime to get him a Sens NHL card (before his WJC card comes out). But either way is fine.

Reactions: DylanSensFan

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
I thought Jason York made a good point on CIH. I am paraphrasing: It's hard for bottom pairing D to get into the flow of the game when they're only playing 10-12 minutes. Yakemchuk is used to playing 25-30 minutes. The NHL was probably not the best option for him right now.

Reactions: Erik Alfredsson

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I thought Jason York made a good point on CIH. I am paraphrasing: It's hard for bottom pairing D to get into the flow of the game when they're only playing 10-12 minutes. Yakemchuk is used to playing 25-30 minutes. The NHL was probably not the best option for him right now.
Absolutely.

He wouldn't have been dressed every game here, and as a 3rd pairing guy he was likely going to get 10-15 minutes when he played. As good as he showed, he's likely not a fulltime NHL regular right now.

Rewarding him with a week long paycheck and taste of 1/2 games would have been something I think was earned, but him being sent down is a breath of fresh air.

35 minutes in Calgary is definitely beneficial for him.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Absolutely.

He wouldn't have been dressed every game here, and as a 3rd pairing guy he was likely going to get 10-15 minutes when he played. As good as he showed, he's likely not a fulltime NHL regular right now.

Rewarding him with a week long paycheck and taste of 1/2 games would have been something I think was earned, but him being sent down is a breath of fresh air.

35 minutes in Calgary is definitely beneficial for him.

With maybe a trade mid-season.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
With maybe a trade mid-season.
100% will be a trade, barring Calgary turning around and making a huge push.

Hitmen aren't going to let him go for nothing next year.

Ostapchuk was in the same situation and Vancouver turned him into 1st round picks in 2024-2025-2026 and 4 players. They are set to be Mem Cup favorites in 2027/28 now with 6 1st round picks at age 17-19.

Yak will go to a team for a gigantic haul, Calgary in their cycle can't let him age out with nothing back.

Send him to Red Deer or Medicine Hat (once they jump back from the terrible start) in Januray

Last edited:

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Yakemchuk was sent down because he would take the PP quarterback duties right away. Sanderson and Chabot just suck balls on PP to say it politely.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
Yakemchuk was sent down because he would take the PP quarterback duties right away. Sanderson and Chabot just suck balls on PP to say it politely.
What’s with your Sandy slander? Not your first post where you’ve lumped these two where they do not belong together.

Sandy has looked really good QBing a PP, especially so early in his career. He will be PP1 this year, just watch how much he “sucks balls” lol

I’m not even saying Chabot is bad, and have no problem with you making that argument If that’s what you think, but Sandy?

Reactions: Erik Alfredsson

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I am disappointed for him that he didn't get a game or 2, but I am equally excited to have @mianjo track another prospect.

There are a few interesting ones this year after lasts years sad showings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad