Prospect Info: 2024 7th OA : Carter Yakemchuk (RHD)

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
This is actually the first time I'm pretty pissed with the new management.

Quality of play should dictate who plays and Yak was good enough to get regular season games. If he played well enough he should stay up all year. In my mind it's a terrible message to players like JBD who gets a shot they don't deserve.

You are only rushing a player if he doesn't play up to standards.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Expert

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
Should have got a couple of games but given how important it is to start the year off right, I get it.

Awesome flashes of what's to come from him in the future. No surprise if he's playing in the big club next year

Silky Johnson

Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
I like this decision because it shows that we mean business.

We're not at the point where we're giving "candies" to 19 year olds anymore. Yak had a GREAT training camp and preseason, and he could have played a couple of games, but that can potentially put our regular season record in peril if he costs us goals when the real show starts.

I don't mind this at all, and everybody agrees long-term it's the best move. He got a good taste. Let him dominate and let's see if he's improved even more by the time the WJC comes.

WTF? Giving candies to 19 year old...

Better to give "candies" to 24 year olds who underachieved in camp and get significantly outplayed by a D+1 player.

Yak EARNED a good look over other players. Likely he doesn't keep it up and goes back but the message is terrible.

• Haha
Reactions: Sensinitis

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024

Quality of play should dictate who plays and Yak was good enough to get regular season games. If he played well enough he should stay up all year. In my mind it's a terrible message to players like JBD who get a spit they don't deserve.

I think a management and coaching group with ~4000 NHL games played that includes 3 former captains realize that the pre-season is just the pre-season. Much of what you see in games is a mirage.

While it does matter, their job is to forecast what roster will have the best results over 82 games, not just reward the players who played best over a 2 week span in September.

And for a young guy like Yakemchuk, the priority is on what will set him up best for the next 5 years, not the next 6 months.

I personally would've like to see him get the 9 games, but objectively, going back to junior to play 23+ minutes a night and gear up for the WJC is probably the right call.

Reactions: DylanSensFan

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
I am slightly disappointed that Yak isn't getting a few regular season games, but honestly I am glad that our management team isn't screwing around. I like Staios' position on this.

"We love you kid! We think you have a bright future and a massive ceiling, but we want you to develop more to reach that full potential."

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

Quality of play should dictate who plays and Yak was good enough to get regular season games. If he played well enough he should stay up all year. In my mind it's a terrible message to players like JBD who get a spit they don't deserve.

I think they should have given him an actual NHL game, and he might have surprised, but I can't be mad about them sending him down and prioritizing his development.

I think the biggest issue is his strength. He has size, but he isn't strong enough for the league yet. Pre-season was basically below AHL in terms of competition, except for that Montreal game where everybody tried their best to reinact a prison riot. I'm half surprised Xhekaj didn't try to fashion his skate blade into a weapon.

I think if they got him into the NHL, he would exceed expectations - but I also understand the fear that with his "yellow D wtf are you playing wing" EASHL style of hockey, he very well could get physically destroyed in the wrong situation. They are protecting him because if he gets hurt or his development stalls, we have nothing else. The selling point for our next best prospect taken in that draft was that punches people.

Silky Johnson

Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
I think a management and coaching group with ~4000 NHL games played that includes 3 former captains realize that the pre-season is just the pre-season.

While it does matter, their job is to forecast what roster will have the best results over 82 games, not reward the players who played best over a 2 week span in September.

For a young guy like Yakemchuk, the focus is also on what sets him up best for the next 5 years, not the next 6 months.

I personally would've like to see him get the 9 games, but objectively, going back to junior to play 23+ minutes a night and gear up for the WJC is probably the right call.

I agree that it was likely the correct outcome but you gotta give him a chance.

If leading the league in preseason defenceman scoring while not looking bad defensively doesn't earn you a look in the regular season, what does?

It's the same loser message this team has been delivering the last 7 years...

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024
I agree that it was likely the correct outcome but you gotta give him a chance.

If leading the league in preseason defenceman scoring while not looking bad defensively doesn't earn you a look in the regular season, what does?

It's the same loser message this team has been delivering the last 7 years...

I loved Yakemchuk's pre-season, but like I said, he just turned 19 and it was the pre-season.

The message I see is that this group actually has a plan for the short and long-term, and aren't just chasing the next shiny object to sell tickets and puff out their chest about how smart they are.

On Pierre Dorion's Senators, Yakemchuk is on the opening night roster paired with Sanderson, his new fish is named Yak, and he's trying to file adoption papers.

• Haha
Reactions: DylanSensFan

Silky Johnson

Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
I loved Yakemchuk's pre-season, but like I said, he just turned 19 and it was the pre-season.

The message I see is that this groups actually has a plan and aren't just chasing the next shiny object to sell tickets and puff out their chest about how smart they are.
Agree to disagree.

I like meritocracy. It's the best message to a team. Worst case he goes down after a couple games and his development is the same or better. Best case he proves he is ready and has a great season. It's win win.

This is just bad messaging and In my opinion a mistake by the leadership group. By no means am I giving up on them but it just shows how human hockey people are.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Would have loved to see the Sens give him at least a couple of games but Yak was always destined back to the WHL.

I'm cautiously optimistic about our bottom pairing D of Kleven-Hamonic/JBD. However, I hope Sens brass can find some waiver wire help to add some depth on LD.

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024
Agree to disagree.

I like meritocracy. It's the best message to a team. Worst case he goes down after a couple games and his development is the same or better. Best case he proves he is ready and has a great season. It's win win.

This is just bad messaging and In my opinion a mistake by the leadership group. By no means am I giving up on them but it just shows how human hockey people are.

I suppose, but like I said, decisions are made based on factors that go beyond the last 2 weeks of pre-seasons games.

Even for veterans or established pros, fans watch a couple pre-season games and say "this guy deserved it more than that guy", but we're not at any of the practices, we don't see the PP and PK drills, etc.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Agree to disagree.

If they plan to make a waiver claim they needed to send him to junior.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
It's the patient approach, and likely the best for the Sens and Yak. Not exciting, but will be fun to follow Yak in the WHL this season.

Would have loved to see Yak in the regular season lineup. Giving him a couple games just means it takes longer to get the actual defense for the season set though.

Reactions: BigRig4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad