Prospect Info: 2024 7th OA : Carter Yakemchuk (RHD)

The Waffler

Smartest Man-Child on HF
Jul 10, 2009
Planet Earth
That's why one should not base their opinions on a group of regular guys on a message board who think they know more than the actual scouts.

I’ll go one further. Most people get their opinions off of what the people on TSN, SNET, etc say. They’re all just monkeys like us with a camcorder and a microphone.

Watch the players yourself, form your own judgements.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Seemed just a little while ago we werent even sure he was going to make the top 6 of WJC this Christmas. Is he a lock now? He has definitely tantalized but i'd like to give him a few games to help him get some confidence when he goes back to dominate enough that he's a lock for a top spot at the World Jrs.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Seemed just a little while ago we werent even sure he was going to make the top 6 of WJC this Christmas. Is he a lock now? He has definitely tantalized but i'd like to give him a few games to help him get some confidence when he goes back to dominate enough that he's a lock for a top spot at the World Jrs.
I'm not sure he is a lock yet, but he has to be close at this point.

If he gets a handful of regular season games, he should cement his spot.

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
The Sens have the longest stretch of no playoffs in the league.

We always lose the season in the first 10-20 games.

History shows us we most likely aren't going to make the playoffs.

For that reason I think we should play Yakemchuk this year. Get him 9 games and in a year or two he might actually help us win games in October and November.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

For that reason I think we should play Yakemchuk this year. Get him 9 games and in a year or two he might actually help us win games in October and November.
Sens are third worst
Sabres are almost double the Sens in not making it, and Detroit is second.

Oct 10, 2010
Everyone talks about Yak playing 9 games I’m sure if they give him the 9 games they won’t be able to send him down because he’ll likely be our 2nd best D-man lol
He should definitely start will the team and management should have an understanding that if he plays well you can’t send him down, especially if the team is winning.

Reactions: SensFactor

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
If Yak helps the Sens win, where his offensive contributions outweigh his defensive growing pains by a satisfactory margin, let him play. He won't get overwhelmed physically, 6'4 207. Seems like a confident guy who won't let mistakes get him down as he learns.

If the Devils / Habs can have small offensive defensemen on their bottom pairing, Yak can surely play bottom pair too. They need sheltering, tough for guys like that to handle big players in front of the crease. Which is why Brannstrom only makes $900K. Of course, those 2 will contribute a lot to their teams' offenses, so it's worth it to live with their defensive weaknesses as they help the team win.

I'm saying if really good young offensive d-men Casey and Hutson contribute in the NHL, on the PP, even strength minutes sheltered so they're not playing vs. offensive stars, Yak can be handled the same way.

If he's deadly on the PP, and generates a lot of offense, he needs to stay.

If his defense is intolerably bad, he needs to go down after 9 games. How much do you tolerate?

It doesn't help that Kleven, Hamonic, and JBD are so-so, Yak is clearly better. The top 4 needs to play a lot, and not have any long-term injuries.

Last edited:
Reactions: Good in Osgoode

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
At this time, the reason for him not to be on Team Canada for the WJC is if he is still with the Sens and that will dredge up a lot of debate of whether they should consider releasing him for 2-3 weeks to play in the WJC or keep him up with Ottawa.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
0 chance Yakemchuk plays more than 9 games. Thats not how you develop talent like him. I see him sticking around for practices and maybe get in a game or two, but I would be surprised if he even plays 9.
I agree. The first 9 games are looking pretty tough and this team MUST get off to an adequate start.

Panthers
Canadiens - Road
Kings
Devils
Lightning
Utah - Road
Vegas - Road
Avalanche - Road
Blues

Those 3 games on the west coast are against really tough teams and there's no way to shelter him in matchups. I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable letting the season potentially slip away to dress a guy drafted this year on defense. I think they'll give him the first 3 games and evaluate him pretty quickly from there.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I agree. The first 9 games are looking pretty tough and this team MUST get off to an adequate start.

Panthers
Canadiens - Road
Kings
Devils
Lightning
Utah - Road
Vegas - Road
Avalanche - Road
Blues

Those 3 games on the west coast are against really tough teams and there's no way to shelter him in matchups. I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable letting the season potentially slip away to dress a guy drafted this year on defense. I think they'll give him the first 3 games and evaluate him pretty quickly from there.
The nine game road trip during the WJC will be tough as well.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Yakemchuk
Kleven - Jensen
JBD

Rookie Sanderson carried Hamonic into "respectability" so he can surely help Yak get more comfortable in this league. First pair as the 2-way ES pair but also as a threat with Chabot's transition ability. Then you have the 2nd pair to push the offense but who could own their own defensively with Sanderson's ability.

Each of the first 2 pairs would get 20-24 mins per game at ES (let's say no PP/PK), depending on which pair is the most effective in the game. 3rd pair would play around 16 mins

Of course, TOI for each D-man would be greatly influenced by their work on special teams

PP : Yakemchuk, Sanderson, Chabot
PK : Sanderson, Zub, Jensen, JBD, Kleven

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Yakemchuk
Kleven - Jensen
JBD

Rookie Sanderson carried Hamonic into "respectability" so he can surely help Yak get more comfortable in this league. First pair as the 2-way ES pair but also as a threat with Chabot's transition ability. Then you have the 2nd pair to push the offense but who could own their own defensively with Sanderson's ability.

Each of the first 2 pairs would get 20-24 mins per game at ES (let's say no PP/PK), depending on which pair is the most effective in the game. 3rd pair would play around 16 mins

Of course, TOI for each D-man would be greatly influenced by their work on special teams

PP : Yakemchuk, Sanderson, Chabot
PK : Sanderson, Zub, Jensen, JBD, Kleven
If he stays up I would live to see him stapled to Sanderson's hip.

Jake would give him a ton of confidence to be creative offensively and cover up any rookie mistakes.

Also makes the bottom paring look much better.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Jake would give him a ton of confidence to be creative offensively and cover up any rookie mistakes.

Sanderson has been used in our toughest deployment, not sure I'd want Yakemchuk in that role, and we don't have a particularly good alternative to Sanderson for that deployment

Reactions: Flamingo

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa

As good as Sanderson is, I feel he'd still benefit from a reliable veteran partner, so he can develop his own offensive game. I wouldn't want Sanderson to be saddled with being the defensive conscience of a pairing just yet.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
As good as Sanderson is, I feel he'd still benefit from a reliable veteran partner, so he can develop his own offensive game. I wouldn't want Sanderson to be saddled with being the defensive conscience of a pairing just yet.
Put Yak with Chabot, Zub with Sanderson and this way you can drop 34 year old Jensen to the third pairing.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

Against really, really, really tough opponents though.

Florida, Montreal, LA, NJ, TB, Colorado, St Louis, NYR and Seattle.

That's an indoctrination by fire.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad