Prospect Info: 2024 7th OA : Carter Yakemchuk (RHD)

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
i think we keep him up until at least december. if he is slowing down, he goes back.

if he is still knocking it out of the park, keep him up past that too.

but winning nhl games is the most important thing for the franchise right now, and Yak is heck of a lot better than Hamonic and JBD and will very soon be better than Jensen if he isn't already.

I prefer slow cooking prospects too, since that never hurts development, but we need NHL wins dammit!
Idk, we're a team that first and foremost needs to clean up the defensive side of things. Winning hockey means having the right guys to put out there for the right situations.

I think we're better off having Jensen and Zub in the top 4, and imo the bottom pair is better suited to be defensive minded players, or two way guys. I think keeping Yakemchuk up won't likely do much to move the needle, I'm good with him getting a game or two, but he's got stuff to work on that would benefit from playing 25+ mins a night in the W rather than 10-14 in the NHL.

Reactions: Icelevel

Inf4mous0ne

Jan 28, 2010
At this point I'm hoping they give Yak 9 games (assuming he keeps up this play) but space it out a bit longer by not playing them in a row.
Then he isn't playing as much as he would down in the CHL? If you mean spread the 9 games over the season, I believe once a prospect goes back to the CHL, they can't be called back up until next season, but people can correct me on that. I'd give him a look for 5 games or so and send him back unless he absolutely blows your socks off and proves you can't send him back.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Then he isn't playing as much as he would down in the CHL? If you mean spread the 9 games over the season, I believe once a prospect goes back to the CHL, they can't be called back up until next season, but people can correct me on that. I'd give him a look for 5 games or so and send him back unless he absolutely blows your socks off and proves you can't send him back.
Once sent back they can only come back on an emergency recall, and even then, you need to hit 3 emergency recalls before you can pull a guy from the CHL from what I understand.

Reactions: Inf4mous0ne

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
It's really amazing how the narrative has changed with Yak over the course of the last few weeks.
It has gone from being 'why did we pick this guy
so early over this guy and that guy' and he can't skate, questionable hockey intelligence, very raw, he's 3 years away from being on the team, etc.

Now, a few weeks later, we get comments like this above, which are pretty tough to argue with right now.
I would admit that I thought Yak was going to take at least 2 years (back to junior for 1 year and then AHL for 1 year) before he was ready.

At this point, he is at least earned the right to get some games in and see where that goes.
Should he continue to be one of our best d-man every game and help us to win hockey games, then he should stay.
I think ultimately, he goes back to Junior at some point and that is probably the best thing for his development, but this is such a great problem to have right now.
I'd like to line up for my plate of crow first. I thought it was a mistake picking Yak over Parekh and still think Parekh will be the better guy, but Yakemchuk has been an absolute stud for us and I want him on the big club for 9 games.

Play him on the 3rd pairing to get some defensive minutes, but then let him run the 1PP, he's got a better shot than Sandy and Chabot and we'll see some sweet one timer goals

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Thomas Chabot in 2 seasons will go from #1 PP guy and our best player and do everything guy to not even being on the PP
our best hope with Chabot is that we find a trading partner

In 2 seasons, he is not likely to
play on the PP
play on the PK
play shutdown

so he's a limited use player making 8

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Honestly, we kinda rushed all of them. Even Brady was somewhat weak physically in his rookie NHL season.

Everyone is racking up the miles on their bodies and injuries lists, and we haven't even made the playoffs, yet, let alone opened up the contention window.
I don't think they rushed the young players themselves, it was their inability to surround them well enough with decent vets that was the much bigger issue imo. The young guys weren't just making the team, but were typically the best options at the Coach's disposal, with little for effective support.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I don't think they rushed the young players themselves, it was their inability to surround them well enough with decent vets that was the much bigger issue imo. The young guys weren't just making the team, but were typically the best options at the Coach's disposal, with little for effective support.

That definitely plays a role in it. Part of the reason why some teams just remain good even through rebuilds. Surrounding the kids with bargain bin UFAs wasn't the best thing for our kids.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
That definitely plays a role in it. Part of the reason why some teams just remain good even through rebuilds. Surrounding the kids with bargain bin UFAs wasn't the best thing for our kids.
Nope definitely not. I get that it can be tough, but for example, I look at Calgary and I think, hang on to Weegar, Kadri and maybe another 1 or 2. They can be good examples, but more importantly, help contribute and not immediately expect the kids to carry the torch as all of your best players.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
There are 2 deadlines for CHL players, 9 games for ELC slide and 40 to burn a year of service toward UFA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad