Prospect Info: 2024 7th OA : Carter Yakemchuk (RHD)

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Who was rushed? Norris played two NCAA and one in the AHL seasons. Boucher isn't even in the NHL so you can't say he was rushed.

Stutzle and Tkachuk didn't suffer at all from playing their draft years and aren't injury prone.

Chabot and Pinto have had injuries but weren't rushed.
Ya, this doesn't make any sense.

Norris already had a shoulder injury when we traded for him, Pinto was more than ready when he came to the NHL.

Sh!t happens, is really all it boils down to. Maybe Pinto shouldn't have come back so quick and maybe he wouldn't have missed the season, but other than that, it's just bad luck, really.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I love the kid but I don’t want to make any rash changes on my rankings atm.
He has the most upside of any D man in the draft especially considering the is a RHD. I think if you dont have him higher then you still question his skating and hockey sense. Skating sure it could hold him back defensively but he might have the most hockey sense out of all the D men except for Buium.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Exactly. We have enough young guys on the roster dealing with chronic injuries as it is. It's one of the side effects (not the only reason, of course!) of being a bad team and rushing kids into the league.

We really need to stop doing that. Yak has been looking really, really promising.....last thing we need is this kid to get a "Norris shoulder" or have "Tyler Boucher luck". It's a damned epidemic on this team.
Who have we rushed into the league in recent years?

Tkachuk? No.
Stuetzle? No.
Sanderson. No.

You said Norris. He played 2 years uni and a year AHL before being a full timer. Is that rushing a first rounder? No.

Pinto. No.
Greig. No.
Chabot?

They all mature differently. But first rounders becoming full time NHLers in D3 seasons isn't rushing.

Tyler Boucher didn't come up with his luck in the NHL. He's never played in the NHL and what's happened to him certainly isn't rushing.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Exactly. We have enough young guys on the roster dealing with chronic injuries as it is. It's one of the side effects (not the only reason, of course!) of being a bad team and rushing kids into the league.

We really need to stop doing that. Yak has been looking really, really promising.....last thing we need is this kid to get a "Norris shoulder" or have "Tyler Boucher luck". It's a damned epidemic on this team.
norris was injury prone before coming here. Same with Greig

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
The only concern I had about Yak after the draft was the chatter that he lacked hockey sense.

After watching him play in pre-season, it is clear that is not the case. In fact, his vision and deception in the offensive zone is one of his biggest attributes.

He can pass it when needed, make space with his hands or feet, absolutely wire the puck, and beat defenders.

Since he is a threat to do so many things, his deception is very good. Defenders have to respect his shot, worry about being beat 1 on 1, or getting passed around. He keeps the opposing defenders off-balance, takes the room he is given and makes confident plays leading to offense.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Who have we rushed into the league in recent years?

Tkachuk? No.
Stuetzle? No.
Sanderson. No.

You said Norris. He played 2 years uni and a year AHL before being a full timer. Is that rushing a first rounder? No.

Pinto. No.
Greig. No.
Chabot?

They all mature differently. But first rounders becoming full time NHLers in D3 seasons isn't rushing.

Tyler Boucher didn't come up with his luck in the NHL. He's never played in the NHL and what's happened to him certainly isn't rushing.

Honestly, we kinda rushed all of them. Even Brady was somewhat weak physically in his rookie NHL season.

Everyone is racking up the miles on their bodies and injuries lists, and we haven't even made the playoffs, yet, let alone opened up the contention window.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
Honestly, we kinda rushed all of them. Even Brady was somewhat weak physically in his rookie NHL season.

Everyone is racking up the miles on their bodies and injuries lists, and we haven't even made the playoffs, yet, let alone opened up the contention window.
No. We have actually rushed none of them.

Brady and Tim were ready.

Everyone else took several years of CHL/NCAA/AHL development.

No ones development curve was hurt.

You do not hold back people careers because of a retrospective view on when our "window" is.

Their performance dictates when a player is ready or not.

You are struggling to add more reasons to shit on the old regime when there are plenty of well know and legit things.

Playing in the NHL is not automatically worse for young players development.

Reactions: Masked

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Burning a year might not be the worst thing you could do. Even if he plays 40 games for Ottawa and goes to the WJC, if he’s the bottom pairing sub guy with a JBD or Hamonic - contractually it might be not be horrible. He’s never going to see 1st PP minutes or top 4 D group in the next 2 years so his points totals won’t be super high and signing him at 21 to an 8 year contract would be just like Brady and Timmy. Could be better then managing to slide him and his contract year he’s playing in the top 4 and you’re paying hik more because his contract year he’s 22-23 playing top 4 immediately after Jensen moves along instead of 21 and he would be getting more points (or you’d be signing up after a 30 point season at 21yrs instead of 43 points at 23yrs old)
If he keeps shooting the puck like that then he should get pp time on a pp with 2D. (IF they want to keep him up)

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
He has the most upside of any D man in the draft especially considering the is a RHD. I think if you dont have him higher then you still question his skating and hockey sense. Skating sure it could hold him back defensively but he might have the most hockey sense out of all the D men except for Buium.

I’m just not ready to jump and make a huge new bold claim. I’m not reactionary , need a little more time .

Again big fan of his and have defended him all offseason Bert.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Is that why we have a bottom 5 ranked prospect pool despite not making the playoffs for almost a decade?
We have a terrible prospect pool because we traded 7oa in 2022, 12oa in 2023, 25oa in 2024, 39oa in 2022, 44oa in 2023, 49oa in 2024, and almost everyone from 2020 and earlier has graduated, so really it's only the last 4 drafts that matters.

The scouts aren't great, but they've got to work with what they have, we could have a better pool had we held onto some of those picks instead of adding DBC and Chychrun. Don't mind giving up 25oa for Ullmark though.

RickyLafleur

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
We have a terrible prospect pool because we traded 7oa in 2022, 12oa in 2023, 25oa in 2024, 39oa in 2022, 44oa in 2023, 49oa in 2024, and almost everyone from 2020 and earlier has graduated, so really it's only the last 4 drafts that matters.

The scouts aren't great, but they've got to work with what they have, we could have a better pool had we held onto some of those picks instead of adding DBC and Chychrun. Don't mind giving up 25oa for Ullmark though.
Aside from the first round is there anything good from the 2nd round onwards? Since 2020 the sens have gotten 47 games and 6 points from everyone combined from rounds 2-7. It looks worse when you include players drafted before 2020 and exclude Pinto & Batherson.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Aside from the first round is there anyone worth keeping from the 2nd round onwards? Since 2020 the sens have gotten 47 games and 6 points from everyone combined from rounds 2-7.
Well, 2023 draft as a whole has 1 gp outside the 1st round, 2022 has 49gp, and 2021 has 504, of which over 200 is moser, and about 84 is knies. Everybody else is under 40gp.

The reality is most teams don't have a lot outside the first round from 2021-2024, those guys are mostly still developing,

Just an example, had Batherson been drafted in 2021, he'd have 20gp by the end of the 2024 season, Stone would have had 1 playoff game under his belt. Pageau would have 9 games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dino Tkachuk

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Aside from the first round is there anything good from the 2nd round onwards? Since 2020 the sens have gotten 47 games and 6 points from everyone combined from rounds 2-7. It looks worse when you include players drafted before 2020 and exclude Pinto & Batherson.
which is about normal since most of them could easily spend 3, 4 years in the minors

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
if we want to win games he should be on the roster.
It's really amazing how the narrative has changed with Yak over the course of the last few weeks.
It has gone from being 'why did we pick this guy so early over this guy and that guy' and he can't skate, questionable hockey intelligence, very raw, he's 3 years away from being on the team, etc.

Now, a few weeks later, we get comments like this above, which are pretty tough to argue with right now.
I would admit that I thought Yak was going to take at least 2 years (back to junior for 1 year and then AHL for 1 year) before he was ready.

At this point, he is at least earned the right to get some games in and see where that goes.
Should he continue to be one of our best d-man every game and help us to win hockey games, then he should stay.
I think ultimately, he goes back to Junior at some point and that is probably the best thing for his development, but this is such a great problem to have right now.

Reactions: Agent Zuuuub

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
It's really amazing how the narrative has changed with Yak over the course of the last few weeks.
It has gone from being 'why did we pick this guy so early over this guy and that guy' and he can't skate, questionable hockey intelligence, very raw, he's 3 years away from being on the team, etc.

Now, a few weeks later, we get comments like this above, which are pretty tough to argue with right now.
I would admit that I thought Yak was going to take at least 2 years (back to junior for 1 year and then AHL for 1 year) before he was ready.

At this point, he is at least earned the right to get some games in and see where that goes.
Should he continue to be one of our best d-man every game and help us to win hockey games, then he should stay.
I think ultimately, he goes back to Junior at some point and that is probably the best thing for his development, but this is such a great problem to have right now.

i think we keep him up until at least december. if he is slowing down, he goes back.

if he is still knocking it out of the park, keep him up past that too.

but winning nhl games is the most important thing for the franchise right now, and Yak is heck of a lot better than Hamonic and JBD and will very soon be better than Jensen if he isn't already.

I prefer slow cooking prospects too, since that never hurts development, but we need NHL wins dammit!

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
They got the donuts? Excellent....

You wouldn't expect guys picked after the first round to step in for at least 3 or 4 years so its really too early to tell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad