Prospect Info: 2024 7th OA : Carter Yakemchuk (RHD)

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Who was rushed? Norris played two NCAA and one in the AHL seasons. Boucher isn't even in the NHL so you can't say he was rushed.

Stutzle and Tkachuk didn't suffer at all from playing their draft years and aren't injury prone.

Chabot and Pinto have had injuries but weren't rushed.
Ya, this doesn't make any sense.

Norris already had a shoulder injury when we traded for him, Pinto was more than ready when he came to the NHL.

Sh!t happens, is really all it boils down to. Maybe Pinto shouldn't have come back so quick and maybe he wouldn't have missed the season, but other than that, it's just bad luck, really.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I love the kid but I don’t want to make any rash changes on my rankings atm.
He has the most upside of any D man in the draft especially considering the is a RHD. I think if you dont have him higher then you still question his skating and hockey sense. Skating sure it could hold him back defensively but he might have the most hockey sense out of all the D men except for Buium.

Reactions: Dionysus

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Exactly. We have enough young guys on the roster dealing with chronic injuries as it is. It's one of the side effects (not the only reason, of course!) of being a bad team and rushing kids into the league.

We really need to stop doing that. Yak has been looking really, really promising.....last thing we need is this kid to get a "Norris shoulder" or have "Tyler Boucher luck". It's a damned epidemic on this team.
Who have we rushed into the league in recent years?

Tkachuk? No.
Stuetzle? No.
Sanderson. No.

You said Norris. He played 2 years uni and a year AHL before being a full timer. Is that rushing a first rounder? No.

Pinto. No.
Greig. No.
Chabot?

They all mature differently. But first rounders becoming full time NHLers in D3 seasons isn't rushing.

Tyler Boucher didn't come up with his luck in the NHL. He's never played in the NHL and what's happened to him certainly isn't rushing.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Exactly. We have enough young guys on the roster dealing with chronic injuries as it is. It's one of the side effects (not the only reason, of course!) of being a bad team and rushing kids into the league.

We really need to stop doing that. Yak has been looking really, really promising.....last thing we need is this kid to get a "Norris shoulder" or have "Tyler Boucher luck". It's a damned epidemic on this team.
norris was injury prone before coming here. Same with Greig

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
The only concern I had about Yak after the draft was the chatter that he lacked hockey sense.

After watching him play in pre-season, it is clear that is not the case. In fact, his vision and deception in the offensive zone is one of his biggest attributes.

He can pass it when needed, make space with his hands or feet, absolutely wire the puck, and beat defenders.

Since he is a threat to do so many things, his deception is very good. Defenders have to respect his shot, worry about being beat 1 on 1, or getting passed around. He keeps the opposing defenders off-balance, takes the room he is given and makes confident plays leading to offense.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
At this point I’d give him some games but I think long term another year would be good for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad