Prospect Info: 2024 7th OA : Carter Yakemchuk (RHD)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Hamonic has one yr left on his contract & when we look at the depth chart at RD it's not that deep. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he was pushing for Hamonic's spot in a yr or two.

RD Depth:
Zub
Jensen
JBD
Hamonic
Guennette
Matinpalo
Stanley
Toure

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
Yeah, I don't know if his pivoting or his backward skating is the true issue but he does get burned by speedier forwards.
When Yakemchuk has to do a quick pivot backward, he does this weird wide stance that's ineffective and makes him vulnerable to get burned.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Looks like he's still getting comfortable with his size. Also probably some first day gitters and nerves....hard to relax in your first on ice session with the NHL team.

Reactions: DylanSensFan

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Hamonic has one yr left on his contract & when we look at the depth chart at RD it's not that deep. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he was pushing for Hamonic's spot in a yr or two.

I actually think the Jensen contract lines up perfectly with Yak's timeline. That's not to say he can't jump in and play bottom-pairing minutes in 25-26 but give the kid one more year in the WHL and then close to a full season in the AHL and cross your fingers he can step into a 2nd pairing role in 26-27. Would certainly help the cap situation to have an ELC on the 2nd pair.

Either way it's nice to have a stud RHD in the prospect pool given the atrocious depth on that side.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I actually think the Jensen contract lines up perfectly with Yak's timeline. That's not to say he can't jump in and play bottom-pairing minutes in 25-26 but give the kid one more year in the WHL and then close to a full season in the AHL and cross your fingers he can step into a 2nd pairing role in 26-27. Would certainly help the cap situation to have an ELC on the 2nd pair.

Either way it's nice to have a stud RHD in the prospect pool given the atrocious depth on that side.
it could line up perfectly. As long as he's ready. I don't see this group rushing him as much as the old group would have,

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton

I'm hoping someone like JBD can develop enough to be a serviceable #4, while Yakemchuk can step into 3RD after Jensen's next deal. Might be wishful thinking, but if Yak can step up, we can get some sweet ELC savings.

Plus if Kleven emerges and Yak is playing the 3rd pairing with him, we have two goliaths on the blueline

• Love
Reactions: DylanSensFan

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

1720207170273.png

If Poulie says it's elite, it's elite

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I don't expect the same level, but I remember watching Karlsson at the WJHC in Ottawa, after we drafted him and it was glorious.

Personally, this will be cool because Yakemchuk is playing for Team Canada.

I was hoping that Andonovski would be given a chance at the Summer camp given his reviews from the past season.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I don't expect the same level, but I remember watching Karlsson at the WJHC in Ottawa, after we drafted him and it was glorious.

Personally, this will be cool because Yakemchuk is playing for Team Canada.

I was hoping that Andonovski would be given a chance at the Summer camp given his reviews from the past season.
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Yakemchuk doesn't make the team. Oliver Bonk is locked in on RD, and I think it's likely that they'll only take 1 of Yakemchuk or Parekh.

Could be the first year in a very long time where the Sens don't have a single player at the WJC.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Yakemchuk doesn't make the team. Oliver Bonk is locked in on RD, and I think it's likely that they'll only take 1 of Yakemchuk or Parekh.

Could be the first year in a very long time where the Sens don't have a single player at the WJC.

I don't see TC taking Parekh. Kid is too much of a liability defensively.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Scouting reports say Yakemchuk is at his best once the puck is in the zone and the team is set up and then he generate shots on net - which I think is a big profile of any team but Travis Green stressed the importance of it in his coaching philosophy in having Dman who are big and can get shots through or generate shots on a regular basis - Canada has tons of guys who can get the puck up the ice and having a RD who knows how to make plays once the pucks on his stick and can get the puck back into the blue paint, just think of Norris level Sanderson playing with a young Yacumchuk set up on the points with Brady and Stu down low it’s going to be maybe the best starting 5 Ottawa has ever had

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
I don't know if he is a lock to make the team but there are things definitely working in his favor.

Yakemchuk could do double duty on the PP and PK, which is a rare profile among the group.

Bonk or Dickinson did not run London's PP. Bonk was often the bumper(strange configuration) and Dickinson was the trigger man (a la Norris), when he was on the first unit . They ran forwards as the traditional PP quarterback.

There is obviously Parekh, who certainly represents a real threat to Yakemchuk in securing one of the PP spots. They were both quarterbacks on their respective units and are the only real D-man options as difference makers in leading a PP from the top, although it is feasible the team could go in a completely different direction and run a forward at that position.

Yakemchuk, especially toward the end of the season, was first unit PK . He does quite well in the this context when the game is simplified, with net clearing, physicality and puck battles gaining in importance.

The other element that separates him, which was just mentioned, is his physicality/nastiness. He has a set of dimensions to his game that will definitely make him an attractive option to the team

There are also things working against him. I don't know if the team can carry both Parehk and Yakemchuk. It would be too risky. It may be too much riverboat gambler for lineup to handle.

Some of the other options at RD that have size and/or physicality that may be the safer bet, like Sotheran, Mckinnon, and Gibson.

My prediction is Yakemchuk beats out Parehk for a spot. However, I would not be surprised if Yakemchuk is an odd man out.

Reactions: Dionysus

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
He’s definitely not a lock, but he has a very good shot.

They usually take 2 shutdown/defensive guys, not sure he’s going to be considered for that role.

Hockey Canada has favorites, they always have, and there are usually guys every year who have been marked by HC brass all the way back to their bantam days. Patrice Cormier is one that I saw first hand, which I never understood.

A guy like Dylan Mackinnon is going to be given a very real shot at the team, to the dismay of many, even though he’s nowhere near the prospect of some guys. I will be surprised if both of the guys from the Mooseheads last year aren't on the team come December, Cataford will be there for sure, and may be the only guys from the Q as it's a very, very weak crop of a few years

Last edited:

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
I don't know if he is a lock to make the team but there are things definitely working in his favor.

Yakemchuk could do double duty on the PP and PK, which is a rare profile among the group.

Bonk or Dickinson did not run London's PP. Bonk was often the bumper(strange configuration) and Dickinson was the trigger man (a la Norris), when he was on the first unit . They ran forwards as the traditional PP quarterback.

There is obviously Parekh, who certainly represents a real threat to Yakemchuk in securing one of the PP spots. They were both quarterbacks on their respective units and are the only real D-man options as difference makers in leading a PP from the top, although it is feasible the team could go in a completely different direction and run a forward at that position.

Yakemchuk, especially toward the end of the season, was first unit PK . He does quite well in the this context when the game is simplified, with net clearing, physicality and puck battles gaining in importance.

The other element that separates him, which was just mentioned, is his physicality/nastiness. He has a set of dimensions to his game that will definitely make him an attractive option to the team

There are also things working against him. I don't know if the team can carry both Parehk and Yakemchuk. It would be too risky. It may be too much riverboat gambler for lineup to handle.

Some of the other options at RD that have size and/or physicality that may be the safer bet, like Sotheran, Mckinnon, and Gibson.

My prediction is Yakemchuk beats out Parehk for a spot. However, I would not be surprised if Yakemchuk is an odd man out.

Unfortunately for Yakemchuk, it's an OHL-heavy coaching staff and Parekh's coach from Saginaw is an assistant. I don't see him beating out Parekh if they're going up against eachother for the same offence-first, PP1 role. Parekh is just too good.

To make the team, I think Yakemchuk is going to have to demonstrate that he can be used as reliable two-way defenceman, and one who makes sense on the roster even if he doesn't see any PP time.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I don't see TC taking Parekh. Kid is too much of a liability defensively.
Chris Lazary is one of TC's coaches ; He's the head coach in Saginaw. Parekh will have a very good shot at making it. I personally think he should and he more than makes up for any defensive liabilities. His defensive game improved through the year , though not a strong part of his game. Parekh has the IQ to utilize his linemates effectively on the PP and expose weaknesses in the defense. Yakemchuk strengths come from him being the scoring threat vs advanced playmaking.

Yakemchuck will likely be in the mix as well. It will be about roles and discipline with TC. Parekh will likely be their #1 PP QB ... Assuming all are healthy and ready to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Unfortunately for Yakemchuk, it's an OHL-heavy coaching staff and Parekh's coach from Saginaw is an assistant. I don't see him beating out Parekh if they're going up against eachother for the same offence-first, PP1 role. Parekh is just too good.

To make the team, I think Yakemchuk is going to have to demonstrate that he can be used as reliable two-way defenceman, and one who makes sense on the roster even if he doesn't see any PP time.
Hard to say, Parekh had 3 more points on PP. 34 vs 31
They both had 10 goals. All depends on the camp they have.

Reactions: Dionysus

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
Hard to say, Parekh had 3 more points on PP. 34 vs 31
They both had 10 goals. All depends on the camp they have.
People generally have lower regard for Yakemchuk, and his offensive capabilities compared to Parehk. Yakemchuk can really command a PP and open up lanes for his shot and passing with his skill. It will be an interesting battle between Parehk and Yakemchuk, but my boy will come out on top.

He produces on similar level to Parehk on the PP despite being on a much less talented team.

As for the OHL connection, people will draw these conclusions, but it is mostly up to management. The OHL connection was also supposed to ring true for Staios but he liked two kids, one rumoured and one realized, from the WHL a lot - Iginla and Yak.

Reactions: Dionysus and bert

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Chris Lazary is one of TC's coaches ; He's the head coach in Saginaw. Parekh will have a very good shot at making it. I personally think he should and he more than makes up for any defensive liabilities. His defensive game improved through the year , though not a strong part of his game. Parekh has the IQ to utilize his linemates effectively on the PP and expose weaknesses in the defense. Yakemchuk strengths come from him being the scoring threat vs advanced playmaking.

Yakemchuck will likely be in the mix as well. It will be about roles and discipline with TC. Parekh will likely be their #1 PP QB ... Assuming all are healthy and ready to go.

I kinda wonder about that. Team Canada teams to be a bit more conservative in their selections. The one way offensive dynamos don't always make the cut. They want guys who have the ability to adapt their games to different roles and play the Team Canada way....or at least that's how it used to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad