Prospect Info: [2024 - 70th] Aatos Koivu (F) TPS Turku

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
If he's anything like his dad grit and character wise, then I'd say don't underestimate his chances at being in the lineup one day. I don't think this will be another Danny Geoffrion.

Reactions: BLONG7 and Wats

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Last edited:
Reactions: BLONG7 and Guess

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
Screenshot_20240630-235747_Instagram.jpg

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I see this as a potential Kapanen story. Flies under the radar to some degree (in development) and once they are 20+, you got something you can insert into the line-up.

I don't expect Koivu to be a top 6F but there is always a chance. My wildest guess is he has Kapanen type value when he is age 20. Still don't know but got a better idea.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I see this as a potential Kapanen story. Flies under the radar to some degree (in development) and once they are 20+, you got something you can insert into the line-up.

I don't expect Koivu to be a top 6F but there is always a chance. My wildest guess is he has Kapanen type value when he is age 20. Still don't know but got a better idea.
My hope is they make some crazy shutdown line few years from now: Xhekaj-Koivu-Kapanen

Reactions: Habs Halifax

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
He have some qualities like his father and he even bigger. Great pick! Not just because he is the son of Saku, he have some skillz in him. Great shot and great hands. Looks like a good two-way guy aswell.

Can't wait to see his progression in SM-Liigaa.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Love the pick. He is a good example of why bloodlines/privilege will boost a prospect. He has the right habits and a professional attitude, and of course the best training a kid could get with NHL connections. That's without getting into genetics of pro athlete families. I'm very case-by-case basis when it comes to the sons of former NHLers, but Aatos seems like a great pick regardless of Saku's history in MTL.

Reactions: Erika and Tyson

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
So what's this guy's ceiling?

Never seen him play.
I mean he's a 3rd round pick so his ceiling before D+1 is "likely not a NHL player" like all 3rd round picks. Now that ceiling could go up in the upcoming years but i don't like how some of our fans act like we just wasted a top 50ish pick on him. I mean the sample size is small he mostly played international so who knows. The only atrocity in the last draft is we traded our 37th pick in the trade for Dvorak so we effectively gave almost two 1st round pick for Dvorak which obviously hurt the rebuild a bit.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Koivu is at least 3 years away, if he ever makes it. It will be interesting to see how he develops. Don't underestimate the Koivu bloodline.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
It's an interesting dynamic. Let's say that aatos develops into an nhler. Is montreal a good environment for him?

Let's face it, when montreal seed that koivu name stamped on the back of that jersey, they are thinking about the guy who was once touted as the best prospect outside of the nhl.

There might be an immediate perception that he is supposed to be a top line guy, just because of that name. Will he be accepted as a bottom 6 kind of player, and is that something that would phase aatos?

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It's an interesting dynamic. Let's say that aatos develops into an nhler. Is montreal a good environment for him?

Let's face it, when montreal seed that koivu name stamped on the back of that jersey, they are thinking about the guy who was once touted as the best prospect outside of the nhl.

There might be an immediate perception that he is supposed to be a top line guy, just because of that name. Will he be accepted as a bottom 6 kind of player, and is that something that would phase aatos?

I'd say very little pressure considering all the pieces in place to be successful are already there. The pressure is on Slaf Caufield Suzuki Dach Reinbacher Guhle Demidov.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
I mean he's a 3rd round pick so his ceiling before D+1 is "likely not a NHL player" like all 3rd round picks. Now that ceiling could go up in the upcoming years but i don't like how some of our fans act like we just wasted a top 50ish pick on him. I mean the sample size is small he mostly played international so who knows. The only atrocity in the last draft is we traded our 37th pick in the trade for Dvorak so we effectively gave almost two 1st round pick for Dvorak which obviously hurt the rebuild a bit.
Just another series of MBs complete mismanagement. A 37th oa pick during his tenure might as well have been a 5th rounder, as he couldn't identify talent anyways.. in his simpleton mind, he figured Dvorak would be the answer to the "massive" hole left by a kid who was benched during the playoffs a few weeks earlier..

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

Probably. His dad knows the city and probably still have friends here, His dad knows the team too. Saku will be able to help him navigate the city, getting installed and avoiding the pitfall. He'll be in relatively familiar water.

Skilled Europeans tend to not have too much problem adjusting to this market. Less than local guy i'd say. I mean if you look at our best players in this century there's a couple Europeans. Top 10 scorers from 2000 to 2024.

1. Plekanec
2. Markov

3. Patch
4. Gallagher
5. Koivu
6. Suzuki
7. Subban
8. Kovalev
9. Galchenyuk
10. Desharnais

Man Gallagher 4th, Galchenyuk 9th and DD 10th ishhh that team has been devoid of skills for a long time.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Probably. His dad knows the city and probably still have friends here, His dad knows the team too. Saku will be able to help him navigate the city, getting installed and avoiding the pitfall. He'll be in relatively familiar water.

Skilled Europeans tend to not have too much problem adjusting to this market. Less than local guy i'd say. I mean if you look at our best players in this century there's a couple Europeans. Top 10 scorers from 2000 to 2024.

1. Plekanec
2. Markov

3. Patch
4. Gallagher
5. Koivu
6. Suzuki
7. Subban
8. Kovalev
9. Galchenyuk
10. Desharnais

Man Gallagher 4th, Galchenyuk 9th and DD 10th ishhh that team has been devoid of skills for a long time.
This list is simply tragic. I suspect that Caufield, Slaf and Suzuki will climb up the spots sooner than later

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site

1. Plekanec
2. Markov

3. Patch
4. Gallagher
5. Koivu
6. Suzuki
7. Subban
8. Kovalev
9. Galchenyuk
10. Desharnais

God it's depressing that Desharnais is in the top 10, thankfully those days are gone

Reactions: Toene

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
This list is simply tragic. I suspect that Caufield, Slaf and Suzuki will climb up the spots sooner than later
For fun since i was born in the mid 70ies i decided to do 1976-2000 and 2000-2024

Top 10 scorer 1976 to 2000 :

1. Lafleur
2. Robinson
3. Naslund
4. Shutt
5. Carbonneau
6. Tremblay
7. Damphousse
8. Bobby Smith
9. Mondou
10. Gainey

Top 10 scorer 2000-2024 :