Prospect Info: [2024 - 5th] Ivan Motherbleeping Demidov (RW), SKA St. Petersburg (MHL)

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Szemberg seems to deny that the NHL allows teams to pay transfer fees. He’s either misinformed or he is so anti-Russian he allows it to get in the way of his “work”. He’s therefore worthless.
The NHL disallowing paying transfer fees outside what is covered by the CBA (the various transfer agreements they have) is accurate.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
The NHL disallowing paying transfer fees outside what is covered by the CBA (the various transfer agreements they have) is accurate.
There would not be any transfer fees paid by Montreal though. Demidov would be paying a fee to terminate his contract. People must be gullible if they think rich people can't manipulate numbers to make things appear to be what they are not. It's more than likely very easy for a rich NHL owner to pay that fee in the name of the player while making it look like the player himself paid it. And i doubt the NHL would care much as long as it's not official. Rich people manipulate numbers to avoid taxes all the time. They pay people full time to do it.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Would be exciting if the Habs brought him over this year. But, I would like to see him in training camp before deciding between Laval and the big club. Assuming they bring him, over I wouldn't want any promises made that its with the big club. Controlling whatever development he needs will be key.

Reactions: HankyZetts

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Difference as of right now is CKA seems to want Michkov to play for anyone but them.

It's so strange. This is the first time I've seen a KHL club, nevermind SKA, care so little for a player, much less a high profile player. They signed him to a huge deal only to make him play elsewhere three years straight. And we basically have no confirmation why that is.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Yes and Szemberg, in another tweet, said this doesn’t exist. Which throws his credibility into the gutter.
I don't mean to defend the guy and I don't really know anything about him but I presumed he meant it's not allowed for KHL players, which is either true or was true until a few weeks ago.

Yes I’m aware — I think the KHL and NHL couldn’t come to terms on the fee. KHL wanted variable to-be-negotiated fees (like with the soccer market) and the NHL wanted a flat fee.
Fair enough, I just saw the mention of the Leo Carlsson situation which has nothing to do with whether or not KHL transfer fees are permitted under the CBA so I was just responding to that specific point.

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
It looked it worked for Slafkovsky and signing Reinbacher and playing him in Laval would have been the better choice too. There's something to be said about having control over a player's deployment. I'd even say the Reinbacher experiment of last season soured Hughes quite a bit on the whole business of trusting other professional teams with the Habs biggest assets

Also, the Habs could chose to go a similar route to what was chosen for Leo Carlsson last season; have him in the NHL, but rest him more as the season goes on to keep him fresh. That's what I would do if I could chose: play him 50-60 games with some rest inbetween and more emphasis on some physical training while spending the whole season on the Habs
Why take risk on such high skill. Demidov only ever played in weak junior league.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
My understanding is that you can only buyout your contract in the KHL if it is not the final year like Michkov. Demidov is not eligible because only one year is left on his.

Reactions: vokiel

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Would be exciting if the Habs brought him over this year. But, I would like to see him in training camp before deciding between Laval and the big club. Assuming they bring him, over I wouldn't want any promises made that its with the big club. Controlling whatever development he needs will be key.
The problem with the AHL option is the “cheap shot” artist factor.

Reactions: Tyson

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
My understanding is that you can only buyout your contract in the KHL if it is not the final year like Michkov. Demidov is not eligible because only one year is left on his.
Yeah seen it mentioned a bit everywhere. Habs don't have any control over what will happen. It'll be KHL or VHL it seems.

Reactions: Tyson

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
Can someone Google SKA’s training camp and exhibition schedule so we can start to watch and get a timeline as to whether Demidov makes the team? This will give us a good sense of whether the Habs brass will try and bring him over

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
There would not be any transfer fees paid by Montreal though. Demidov would be paying a fee to terminate his contract. People must be gullible if they think rich people can't manipulate numbers to make things appear to be what they are not. It's more than likely very easy for a rich NHL owner to pay that fee in the name of the player while making it look like the player himself paid it. And i doubt the NHL would care much as long as it's not official. Rich people manipulate numbers to avoid taxes all the time. They pay people full time to do it.
Given all the sanctions in place I would imagine it's not actually all that easy for an NHL team to actually send money to Russia.

And the NHL very much cares about teams paying for things in the players name since it would make the salary cap meaningless if teams could pay for anything in the players name why not buy a mansion off book for the player so that they save millions of dollars.

Reactions: morhilane

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
And the NHL very much cares about teams paying for things in the players name since it would make the salary cap meaningless if teams could pay for anything in the players name why not buy a mansion off book for the player so that they save millions of dollars.
It's considered cap circumvention by the CBA already.

The only options are Demidov buying back the last year of his contract with his own money (even if he didn't op for it and haven't done so yet??) or SKA agreeing to terminate his contract.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
If Demidov's contract gets terminated and comes over, I think he will be playing in the AHL unless he has a great camp.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
We all better get use to Demidov playing in the VHL this season. I am surprised he didn't play in that league last season actually.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
If Demidov's contract gets terminated and comes over, I think he will be playing in the AHL unless he has a great camp.
Honestly
I just don't see how he isn't the 3rd or 4th best Montreal Canadien already lol, no joke
But personally I'm not opposed to him staying 1 more year in Russia either
It's all good either way

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
It's so strange. This is the first time I've seen a KHL club, nevermind SKA, care so little for a player, much less a high profile player. They signed him to a huge deal only to make him play elsewhere three years straight. And we basically have no confirmation why that is.
They said it was due to his father's death they are trying to do right by the player, no?

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
Everytime we did this past has been massive mistake. And everytime posters on this board said this time it would be different. It never was. Kotkaniemi, Wickenheiser, Galchenyuk. Don't rush them and play with their confidence. Let them develop properly. Lafleur was 23 before he developed.
Both KK and Galch had their best seasons with the Habs if i remember correctly. It's not on the Habs if they peaked early and never became stars. It would be very different if they went to another club and actually developed there.

I think you're stressing for nothing.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
They said it was due to his father's death they are trying to do right by the player, no?

That was their quote but he died during his draft year and they still loaned him out to Sochi last year, and the deal is if he doesn't make the NHL that he would be loaned out again in the KHL.

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
It looked it worked for Slafkovsky and signing Reinbacher and playing him in Laval would have been the better choice too. There's something to be said about having control over a player's deployment. I'd even say the Reinbacher experiment of last season soured Hughes quite a bit on the whole business of trusting other professional teams with the Habs biggest assets

Also, the Habs could chose to go a similar route to what was chosen for Leo Carlsson last season; have him in the NHL, but rest him more as the season goes on to keep him fresh. That's what I would do if I could chose: play him 50-60 games with some rest inbetween and more emphasis on some physical training while spending the whole season on the Habs
Almost as if tiger cubs will grow into tigers regardless of their upbringing right?

I find it a lot easier to believe that we drafted like clowns for a long time than we somehow completely ruined the careers of otherwise surefire superstars by letting them play in the NHL.

Just look at KK. Guy has no part of a star in him and he's been with a good franchise for a while.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad