News Article: Colorado Avalanche Media Coverage Part VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

OH, I misread that, I thought he was still talking about Cogs. That's what confused me.

I think Foote would rather be a coach, that's his primary motivation, and right now given the situation with his son I think he'd want to be as far away from the place where he grew up as possible.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Moser is fine. And his long history with the team provides insights and anecdotes that others wouldn't be able to provide.

The things people criticize him for (catch phrases, homerism, mistakes) are things that almost every other PBP guy can be accused of. Some clearly worse than Moser.

You replace him, and you'll either get more of the same that upsets you, or you get a more boring, less personable PBP guy, which makes for worse television.

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
Moser is fine. And his long history with the team provides insights and anecdotes that others wouldn't be able to provide.

The things people criticize him for (catch phrases, homerism, mistakes) are things that almost every other PBP guy can be accused of. Some clearly worse than Moser.

You replace him, and you'll either get more of the same that upsets you, or you get a more boring, less personable PBP guy, which makes for worse television.

Moser stinks

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

One thing I hate about Moser is his use of nicknames. Sure, it's the local feed but I don't want to be hearing anything but last names.

Too often it's "Nate to Mikko back to Sammy G for a bomb!" And it's just bad.

The best announcers call the players by their last names at all times. He's trying way too hard to be "in" with the Avs players and show it off.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
One thing I hate about Moser is his use of nicknames. Sure, it's the local feed but I don't want to be hearing anything but last names.

The best announcers call the players by their last names at all times. He's trying way too hard to be "in" with the Avs players and show it off.

Everyone has different preferences and things that irk them.

I don't think he's doing it to try to be "in" with the players though. I think he's trying to personalize them more. Trying to make fans have a semblance of being part of the team.

IMO that's a better broadcasting approach for the local feed, but it should be used sparingly. Mostly in terms of first names. Overusing nicknames isn't great though I agree. There's a middle ground of objectivity to strive for.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
McGahey is the worst for nicknames, sometimes I'm like "who the f*** just scored?" if I am listening to the radio, as he has some random ass name for them.

I don't have any ill feelings towards Moser really. He's a bit of a numpty for sure, but I watch the Avs feed over any other teams feed because I want to hear excitement for my team, I don't want someone getting jazzed because some douchey Wild player did a dangle. f*** the Wild.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I tried to convince Conor to say "Vladdy, Vladdy, Boom-ba-blatty" the next time Kamenev scored, sure enough he did and he didn't do it, I followed up and he apologized and said he forgot. I was irked because obviously opportunities like that weren't going to happen often with THAT particular player. :laugh:

I do wish McGahey would mix it up a little, otherwise I really like his calls.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
I tried to convince Conor to say "Vladdy, Vladdy, Boom-ba-blatty" the next time Kamenev scored, sure enough he did and he didn't do it, I followed up and he apologized and said he forgot. I was irked because obviously opportunities like that weren't going to happen often with THAT particular player. :laugh:

I do wish McGahey would mix it up a little, otherwise I really like his calls.
Yeah, I wish he wouldn't use, "The Mack Attack is Back, Jack!" after EVERY MacKinnon goal, or, "The Moose is Loose!" after every Mikko goal, etc, etc. Would be nice if he had more than one catchphrase for those players, or simply just used them every now and again. It does get kind of old. Otherwise, he is quite entertaining to listen to.

I will say, that both Mike Haynes and Moser were quite different calling games on radio that they are/we're on TV. A LOT more excitable and homer-ish on the radio than on TV, if you can believe it. They both dialed the intensity way down once they got on TV.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yeah, I wish he wouldn't use, "The Mack Attack is Back, Jack!" after EVERY MacKinnon goal, or, "The Moose is Loose!" after every Mikko goal, etc, etc. Would be nice if he had more than one catchphrase for those players, or simply just used them every now and again. It does get kind of old. Otherwise, he is quite entertaining to listen to.

I will say, that both Mike Haynes and Moser were quite different calling games on radio that they are/we're on TV. A LOT more excitable and homer-ish on the radio than on TV, if you can believe it. They both dialed the intensity way down once they got on TV.
I simply did not like Haynes on TV, I’m probably in the minority there. He was at his best alongside Norm Jones. Conversely, John Kelly was damn near perfect alongside the late great Peter McNab and we simply haven’t had anything even close to those two tandems since.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Lets face it, Altitude has to see this entire crew of broadcasters as a pile of steaming dogshit and say its time to rebuild. Go find the best talent you can, dig into the minors if needed, and bring something worth watching. But preferably, do it as you finally get your shit together and find a way so your fans can actually watch the games.

Reactions: lionsDen

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I simply did not like Haynes on TV, I’m probably in the minority there. He was at his best alongside Norm Jones. Conversely, John Kelly was damn near perfect alongside the late great Peter McNab and we simply haven’t had anything even close to those two tandems since.
When Haynes focused strictly on calling the game I thought he was fantastic. He just didn't do it often enough.

Reactions: Pokecheque

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I really like Connor McGahey, but I must admit, I don't listen to him nearly at all. The little bits I've heard, I've enjoined.

Unfortunately, the exact same thing could be said for Moser back when he was the radio guy. I didn't hardly listen to him at all, and of course the clips you do hear at the absolute best...so yeah, I was okay with the Moserisms became too annoying.

I have a feeling swapping McGahey in for Moser would only be rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. I'm sure Connor would grow annoying to me fairly quickly because lets face it...if he was better than Moser, he'd probably already have the job.

All I really want is one straight guy in the booth. I don't want them both to be doofuses. We lost every bit of professionalism contained in Altitude with the passing of McNab. Everyone left is in complete frat boy mode and enjoy their banter more than the game of hockey at play. It's amazing how long the Avs broadcast booth can go without even referencing the game they are airing. We're not tuning in to listen to Keefe mispronounce a name (although that was funny as hell...once), we are tuning in to watch the Avs.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC

That never happened.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003

I agree, it seemed like Haynes lost something on TV. It felt like he dialed down his emotions which was key to what made his radio calls work. Though perhaps part of it is rosy retrospection from when he was on the radio... I listened to the radio a lot more often then. I worked evenings and often listened to games at work or driving home. During the early part of the pandemic when sports was shut down ASR was playing these old retrospective highlight compilations and it he didn't sound quite as great as I remembered (admittedly listening to old radio highlights can't touch the excitement of hearing a call live).

Reactions: Pokecheque

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
So the Avs' official Twitter account got hacked, they regained the account, deleted the scam tweets and acted like nothing happened?

Reactions: sethro109

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Not telling your followers that you were hacked, and that they potentially got scammed, is a pretty shitty thing to do. Even if it was obvious, you have to at least address the problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: Balthazar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad