Prospect Info: [2024 - 5th] Ivan Motherbleeping Demidov (RW), SKA St. Petersburg (MHL)

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
Really? There's lots of 19/20 yrs old in the MHL. Playing on Demidov's line were two 20 yrs old.
I find the MHL to be maybe a bit stronger than the USHL. It's pretty close tho, not too shabby.
There’s the league, then what both players offer. Celebrini has the Center premium.
I prefer Celebrini’s shot. He also has a bit more killer instinct around the net I find. Both players are energetic but I feel Celebrini might have a bit more jump. And he’s a bit faster. I think that goes a long way to explain why scouts preferred Celebrini.

Both have top-notch vision. Both are excellent passers. But because of his edge work and his superior stickhandling, Demidov opens up a bunch of playmaking options that don’t exist for Celebrini. Celebrini maximizes crossovers and classic edge work but it still limits his time and space for decisions.

I think scouts agree Demidov’s game will translate very well to the NHL. However, there’s more uncertainty to what degree his style will be valuable. You can’t bank everything like you do for Celebrini. A lot of the stuff he does is very new. There’s more wait and see.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
In a six team league. Chelios won 3 in a 25-30 team league. Comparable.
Doesn't matter. A 30 team league simply means the talent is watered down. In a six team league you're playing against superstars every night. If it's not Rocket Richard, it's Bobby Hull. If not Hull then it's Gordie Howe. If not Howe then you're playing Red Kelly. Every night it's the best players in the world.

If you're going to chuck out 6 team leagues as being inferior, then I don't know why Rocket Richard would be in your top players. He played at the same time Harvey did. And Harvey was every bit the player Richard was. It's really, really close between them. Might as well put Stephane Richer over Richard because he played in a 25 team league too. Would Wayne Gretzky be the best player in the world in a 30 team league vs a six team league? It wouldn't matter. He'd be the best no matter how many teams there were.

Chris Chelios is a great blueliner. HOFer. But he doesn't come close to Doug Harvey.

Last edited:

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
In a six team league. Chelios won 3 in a 25-30 team league. Comparable.
It was easier to win the Cup (1 chance out of 6) but you still had to go against the 36 best defenders in the world.

In today’s game, there must still be around 8-10 threats to win the Norris every year, no more than that

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Chelios had most of his success after he left Montreal. Harvey all day...every day.
Chelios won zero cups in his prime w Hawks - did they even make it to a Cup final?

I do agree about Harvey - to me generational refers to redefining how a given position is played.

Harvey changed the way Dman played the position - there is no Orr, Coffey, Makar without Harvey.

The NHL changed the rule book on minor penalty being over after goal is scored in large part due to Harvey’s puck possession in leading the PP attack which was unstoppable.

Dman didn’t lead a PP rush before Harvey

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs10Habs

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Chelios won zero cups in his prime w Hawks - did they even make it to a Cup final?

I do agree about Harvey - to me generational refers to redefining how a given position is played.

Harvey changed the way Dman played the position - there is no Orr, Coffey, Makar without Harvey.

The NHL changed the rule book on minor penalty being over after goal is scored in large part due to Harvey’s puck possession in leading the PP attack which was unstoppable.

Dman didn’t lead a PP rush before Harvey
Yes in 1991-92 Chelios lost in the cup final with Chicago against Lemieux pens.

The guy missed the playoffs once in 25 years ...

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Oh boy, can’t help but get excited about that.

Do think next year would be the Joshua Roy year, but maybe Demidov and Roy and Dach back, and Slafkovsky… maybe they all take the pressure off each other.

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
The players I would call generational are (outside of goalies) : Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, Howe, Crosby and McDavid.

A tier below that, I would have the Ovechkin, Ray Bourque, Jagr, Lidstrom of this world.
Richard was generational

Two players have better goals per game ratios in the playoffs (who played at least 50 playoffs games) than Maurice Richard, it's Mario Lemieux and Mike Bossy. Now factor in the era they played...

Now add to this the 500+ regular season goals and the 50 goals in 50 gp record that stayed for 36 years. 14 all-star, Hart, 8 stanley cups, Team Captain, 5 retroactive Maurice Richard trophies.

Sidney Crosby is generational, but you could argue that the difference between him/his career and Beliveau and Joe Sakic is not that big.

Last edited:

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

His usage of the word inevitable bothers me, but I was looking at the SKA roster the other day and they've got quite a few forwards sticking around that have history there and are above 0.5ppg.

Alistrov, glotov, grigorenko, gritsyuk, khairullin, tolchinsky, vorobyov are all dependable point producers for them, and that's not counting the role players they trust and the captain who will get a spot despite being a <20 pt forward. Even if demi 'makes' the team, he's not gonna get the ice time he needs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad