Prospect Info: [2024 - 5th] Ivan Motherbleeping Demidov (RW), SKA St. Petersburg (MHL)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I've now watched over 30 MHL games of the 47 games from this season (reg + playoffs) plus his lone VHL game. In my 25 years or so of following Hab prospects he has to be the most skilled I have ever seen us draft.

The IQ, vision, playmaking, are elite AF, the shot is good, his stickhandling is sick. Love how he attacks with speed when he has the puck, knows what to do and where to put the puck at all times it seems.

On the down side I would say the only concerns are physical, he needs a good bit of improvement in his lower body strength, he's easy to push off pucks and even his upper body needs more strength but most 18 year olds would be in the same boat. While I wouldn't call him poor defensively as his efforts are better then Caufield, Michkov, Mesar, but they are a bit inconsistent in that at times he's really engaged and others he can stand inches from the puck carrier and not even flinch to attempt to defend but I think it's just something to work when he's over here with MSL.

I certainly think he's on par with Celebrini but he's had some help with his dad being a pro trainer for the NBA, we'll see how it all unfolds over the next 10 years, should be fun to watch as someone that saw every NCAA game he played and most of Demidov's games this year. Just 2 fun players to watch play hockey, so skilled/creative.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
Why?

He would benefit greatly from a big year in the KHL and coming into our top 6 immediately in his D+2.
First of all theres nothing guaranteed about him playing in the KHL we already know SKA kept him in the MHL last year because they were petty about him not extending his contract so things might not change since they know hes 100% leaving and if he does make the team how much minutes will a young 18 year old kid get in a team full of vets ?

Hughes also said when he drafted Slaf/Mesar that he likes having his prospects not too far so he can keep track of their development something that he wont have control over if Demidov stays in Russia i rather have him play top minutes plus PP in the AHL and getting familiar with our culture,ice,teammates plus having our coaches like Nicholas close to him

Reactions: cphabs

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
First of all theres nothing guaranteed about him playing in the KHL we already know SKA kept him in the MHL last year because they were petty about him not extending his contract so things might not change since they know hes 100% leaving and if he does make the team how much minutes will a young 18 year old kid get in a team full of vets ?

Hughes also said when he drafted Slaf/Mesar that he likes having his prospects not too far so he can keep track of their development something that he wont have control over if Demidov stays in Russia i rather have him play top minutes plus PP in the AHL and getting familiar with our culture,ice,teammates plus having our coaches like Nicholas close to him

Ok i agree

To me the best scenario is him having quality minutes in the KHL. There is upside here for SKA as he can be a big contributor.

In the event that he would play in the MHL/VHL or have low minutes in the KHL since he is in his last contract year, i also hope we bring him to MTL.

We all know the Russian way ($$$) and they may want to cash on Demidov instead of having for just one year. Very possible.

Reactions: Sagikev

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I've now watched over 30 MHL games of the 47 games from this season (reg + playoffs) plus his lone VHL game. In my 25 years or so of following Hab prospects he has to be the most skilled I have ever seen us draft.

The IQ, vision, playmaking, are elite AF, the shot is good, his stickhandling is sick. Love how he attacks with speed when he has the puck, knows what to do and where to put the puck at all times it seems.

On the down side I would say the only concerns are physical, he needs a good bit of improvement in his lower body strength, he's easy to push off pucks and even his upper body needs more strength but most 18 year olds would be in the same boat. While I wouldn't call him poor defensively as his efforts are better then Caufield, Michkov, Mesar, but they are a bit inconsistent in that at times he's really engaged and others he can stand inches from the puck carrier and not even flinch to attempt to defend but I think it's just something to work when he's over here with MSL.

I certainly think he's on par with Celebrini but he's had some help with his dad being a pro trainer for the NBA, we'll see how it all unfolds over the next 10 years, should be fun to watch as someone that saw every NCAA game he played and most of Demidov's games this year. Just 2 fun players to watch play hockey, so skilled/creative.

How would you compare Demidov and Michkov in terms of skill level?

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
Two very different players. Demidov is firewagon spectacular. Michkov is like a Swiss clock. Plays sharp while doing no unnecessary movement.

Demidov attacks the net, Michkov plays in his office or hides behind the net.

Demidov is more skilled.

He’s a better hockey player in everything except for his shot. Michkov’s better. It’s deadly. Heavy and accurate. He can get it off in a blink in traffic. It’s actually the only area I think there’s real room for improvement for Demidov. It’s good and accurate, but he needs to have more of a varied release/shot arsenal.

Leadership, hard work, dedication to defense, character: it’s two different planets.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

As we've seen at the russian combine, his legs are real tiny right now, so he's only going to gain in the lower body strength department.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
Celebrini had monster numbers in College. His production at every level before was incredible. He wins the Hobey Baker his draft year… Demidov produced against kids 4 years younger. He had no major international success to bolster his CV…. Someone might have a preference for Demidov’s style, stick handling or skating. But there’s too much wishful thinking that goes in objectively comparing Demidov with Celebrini who’s so much more tested and accomplished.

Reactions: dcyhabs

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Celebrini had monster numbers in College. His production at every level before was incredible. He wins the Hobey Baker his draft year… Demidov produced against kids 4 years younger. He had no major international success to bolster his CV…. Someone might have a preference for Demidov’s style, stick handling or skating. But there’s too much wishful thinking that goes in objectively comparing Demidov with Celebrini who’s so much more tested and accomplished.

I dont see it that way.

Who's better

Crosby or Ovechkin?

Toews or Kane?

Bergeron or Pastrnak?

That is a better way to figure out the debate imo

Also, Demidov produced against kid one year younger and two years older. He also produced 9 points in 7 KHL pre season games before being sent to the MHL, also being cut after Michkov.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
So Demidov was playing against 13yr olds?

Max age in MHL is 20 so they have 20yr old young men playing vs 13yr old teenie boppers who probably weighed in at 130lbs?

You know Kucherov also played in this league for 3yrs?

So did Kaprizov amongst other greats and Demidov has outperformed them on the PPG category….just saying

• Haha
Reactions: Habs10Habs and 417

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
IMG_0152.jpeg

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021

Max age in MHL is 20 so they have 20yr old young men playing vs 13yr old teenie boppers who probably weighed in at 130lbs?

So did Kaprizov amongst other greats and Demidov has outperformed them on the PPG category….just saying
I meant that Celebrini played against 22 and 23 year olds while Demidov was playing vs 18 and 19 year olds. I understand Demidov didn’t get the same opportunities to shine. But Celebrini’s CV is stacked and more impressive.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The acceptable take is that Demidov has the higher offensive ceiling and whether that point production will be higher than Celebrinis positional and defensive value. It's a Kane v Toews type of debate only done rhetorically because neither have played a definitive amount of games in the NHL.

Celebrini should and likely is the more valuable player but Demidov could and likely should produce higher raw offensive numbers.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Their skill levels compare, they are 366 days apart in age, both are highly skilled players. I would take Demidov over Michkov easily because of the way he plays, Michkov has a deadly shot much like Caufield's imo, Demidov has a good shot but using it more will help him in time plus once he gets stronger as it seems to have good weight behind it despite him not being strong yet.

I've got over 70 full games of Celebrini and Demidov, when you watch them imo you seee 2 highly skilled, very similar players. With Demidov it's all about what kind of physical progression can he have. The sky is the limit on his talent imo. That doesn't mean he will get close to reach that high of a level or he could end up being even better.

When talking about 17, 18, 19 year olds, anyone that thinks they know for sure what any prospect will turn into is so full of shit outside of the Crosby, McDavid's of the world as there are so many factors and variables involved, then add fans level of knowledge and understanding things will vary greatly among the experienced and inexperienced. The best scouts get it wrong all the time so what hope do we have?

You learn to look for things, doesn't mean it will go the way you think and you don't want to get carried away in either direction until you have see more of them but that can be hard as the very nature of prospects is based on hope and excitement for the future.

Demidov will be what he ends up being no matter what anyone thinks or says. Each of this kids will either progress or they won't and the reasons for both are so numerous, so many things could so easily go wrong or right. That's why I started my channel, so fans can see the good and the bad but also the progress or lack of and make up their own mind.
When talking about prospects I often think of a study I heard about in college so a long time ago and don't remember it exactly but it was for some class on crime where they got say 30 people in a room and then had someone walk into the room and rob the teacher of her purse or something and then ran out of the room. Then each person had to give a statement on what they saw like it was a police report, what where they wearing, how tall, what color skin (this was from the 70's) etc.. Just about every single one of them said something different. He wore a red hat, others would say he didn't have a hat, how the f*** can that even happen? But it just shows that a bunch of scouts could watch a prospect and each see something different, I guess that's why they say opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one. We can all say whatever but in the end it only matters what they do,

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
Their skill levels compare, they are 366 days apart in age, both are highly skilled players. I would take Demidov over Michkov easily because of the way he plays, Michkov has a deadly shot much like Caufield's imo, Demidov has a good shot but using it more will help him in time plus once he gets stronger as it seems to have good weight behind it despite him not being strong yet.

I've got over 70 full games of Celebrini and Demidov, when you watch them imo you seee 2 highly skilled, very similar players. With Demidov it's all about what kind of physical progression can he have. The sky is the limit on his talent imo. That doesn't mean he will get close to reach that high of a level or he could end up being even better.

When talking about 17, 18, 19 year olds, anyone that thinks they know for sure what any prospect will turn into is so full of shit outside of the Crosby, McDavid's of the world as there are so many factors and variables involved, then add fans level of knowledge and understanding things will vary greatly among the experienced and inexperienced. The best scouts get it wrong all the time so what hope do we have?

You learn to look for things, doesn't mean it will go the way you think and you don't want to get carried away in either direction until you have see more of them but that can be hard as the very nature of prospects is based on hope and excitement for the future.

Demidov will be what he ends up being no matter what anyone thinks or says. Each of this kids will either progress or they won't and the reasons for both are so numerous, so many things could so easily go wrong or right. That's why I started my channel, so fans can see the good and the bad but also the progress or lack of and make up their own mind.
When talking about prospects I often think of a study I heard about in college so a long time ago and don't remember it exactly but it was for some class on crime where they got say 30 people in a room and then had someone walk into the room and rob the teacher of her purse or something and then ran out of the room. Then each person had to give a statement on what they saw like it was a police report, what where they wearing, how tall, what color skin (this was from the 70's) etc.. Just about every single one of them said something different. He wore a red hat, others would say he didn't have a hat, how the f*** can that even happen? But it just shows that a bunch of scouts could watch a prospect and each see something different, I guess that's why they say opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one. We can all say whatever but in the end it only matters what they do,
To be clear, I’m more excited than even KevSkill4 about Demidov… I can theorize and project for myself that I think Demidov will be more of a handful for NHL Ds than Celebrini. But there’s reasons all NHL scouts called by McKenzie had Celebrini first. I’m not dumping on Demidov. In fact, it’s because his CV was so bare that we even had a shot at him. If he’s that 6’1 forward that produced in the WJC and looked great in the KHL, he’d be gone by 2OA.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
To be clear, I’m more excited than even KevSkill4 about Demidov… I can theorize and project for myself that I think Demidov will be more of a handful for NHL Ds than Celebrini. But there’s reasons all NHL scouts called by McKenzie had Celebrini first. I’m not dumping on Demidov. In fact, it’s because his CV was so bare that we even had a shot at him. If he’s that 6’1 forward that produced in the WJC and looked great in the KHL, he’d be gone by 2OA.

If Demidov was somehow able to leave SKA last summer and went to BU to play with Lane Hutson, I think it's a very safe bet to say that it would have went well. Celebrini has the physical edge now which would stick out more in the NCAA or KHL or even VHL but had Demidov been at BU I really don't see him going 5th OA. Scouts get it wrong all the time every draft but I think him dropping had more to do with Russia.

But in the end it's the hockey fans who win as both players are going to be so much fun to watch.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

if you werent saying bud.. I was lol
verbatim

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
I get that his contract sucks and his production isn't good anymore, I just don't like the optics of speaking like this about a guy who gave his whole everything to our team. People used to do the same thing with Price.

They make a lot of money and we wanna win, yeah. But "kick rocks, GTFO" all that is a bit extreme in cases where guys have literally done nothing but play well and hard for the Habs.

Definitely time to move on from him, but just saying.
Sounds like that poster probably agreed with MB when he said « if you want loyalty get a dog » …. Class goes. Long way. And I’m proud of how KH handles himself

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Correct me
If I’m wrong, but wasn’t Demidov the one that was four years younger in a U20 league?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad