Prospect Info: [2024 - 5th] Ivan Motherbleeping Demidov (RW), SKA St. Petersburg (MHL)

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
From what I’ve heard Orr’s major knee surgeries in the seventies would be non-invasive and treatable today. Maybe someone with more knowledge could confirm… Don Cherry who coached him in Boston said that Orr’s skating mechanics (that made him change direction on a dime) is what inevitably caused his knee problems. Demidov’s twists and turns are a lot with the 10-2 so it might not put as much stress on his knees.
Not a medical professional….but no doubt arthroscopic surgery would’ve lengthened Orr’s career but pro hockey players now train year round vs Lafleur puffing cigarettes in between periods.

I’m sure Demigod’s off ice training regiment is quite extensive w focus around strengthening knee structure support systems given edgework is paramount to high end player success & specifically his game

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs10Habs

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
On the pp everyone will be crawling with broken ankles trying to cover Hutson while he opens lanes so I imagine the kids could have fun and put on a show out of camp.

5v5 road december games vs vet physical teams is another thing. No idea how long it’ll take Demidov (all these kids) to become positive impact players. I wish they had a few more upscale vets to emulate for those bits. Will be fun to follow.

It's just going to be a treat to be able to watch entertaining hockey again. Long time coming!!

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
It's maybe been 2 weeks, but I still can't believe.

I really liked Tij Iginla before the draft, but
never ahead of Demidov. We have Ivan freaking Drago, Demidov.

Amazing 2 weeks to become a Habs fan, I'm still so happy guys!!

He's the single best prospect we've draft since Lafleur. And no... I didn't forget about Richer and LeClair.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I remembered liking him a lot at the U18s and Hlinka tournament, when following the draft for 2011 and 2012, Russia had one of the best U18 back then and the most talked about were Mikhail Grigorenko and Nail Yakupov, and Kucherov was often overlooked but he ended up dominating the tournament the most, record just broken by Hagens.

Not gonna lie, my process has always been reading especially here on HFBoards, youtube highlights videos (didn't have shift by shift videos back then) and any televised or streamed international tournaments. I made a Craig Button of myself and really was hyped by Kucherov at the U18s.

I just looked back at this official HFBoards Prospect Thread and I was discussing already in the first few pages and getting backlash hahaha But good talks and other posters also saw great potential in him. Craig Button had him 18th overall in May 2011. After seeing him at U18 and his skill level and how he read the plays, he was just an executioner. Deadly. And, rumours of him going to Quebec in the CHL Import Draft to play with Grigorenko (who I liked a lot back then too) made me followed Kucherov even more.

View attachment 894848

View attachment 894849
Loved these highlights videos with emo music! LFG!

And, what all of that being said… I am even more excited about Ivan Demidov!!! Much more dynamic than Kucherov at the same age. I think the sky is the limit for Demidov. We are extremely lucky and just so much to look forward to. With adding another top prospect in 2025 too.

Yes, I'm really excited about Demidov. I can't help but ask, what did you and do you think about Michkov? I wonder if we shouldn't have added both. Ultimately, for sure time will give us the answer. But I'm glad we'll be able to see Demidov play with Hutson, Suzuki, Slaf, Dach, and Caufield.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Yes, I'm really excited about Demidov. I can't help but ask, what did you and do you think about Michkov? I wonder if we shouldn't have added both. Ultimately, for sure time will give us the answer. But I'm glad we'll be able to see Demidov play with Hutson, Suzuki, Slaf, Dach, and Caufield.
During last year's lead up to the draft, I have always voiced out that I truly believe Michkov was on the same level as Connor Bedard when they faced each other. Everytime you would watch a Canada-Russia game at the U18 or even the start of the U20 before they closed for COVID, Michkov was relentless, was a gamer, a pitbull and doghound. He would never back down from confrontation and adversity. Bedard would score 1 goal, Michkov would score 1 too. His team was behind against Canada, and he would step up and try to equalize and tie it up. I will always remember his hit on Simon Edvindsson who's 6ft7 or something.

He was my top prospect for the Habs after Bedard. I think that ultimately what us fans don't see and don't get to understand is that NHL teams and their scouting staff get to know the prospects better than us, on and off the ice. Ultimately, I think that there were some aspect of maybe his game, his personality that lead the Habs to skip over him as they didn't see a fit with the core of what they are trying to build.

I also think it would be hard for us to be truly competitive and contending in playoffs with 2 sub 5ft10 forwards in Caufield and Michkov. And adding a sub 5ft10 Hutson on the back end. I think ultimately, HuGo made the right choice in Reinbacher and Demidov. Demidov for me is more dynamic than Michkov, better passing, better edge work but Michkov has a better shot, a deadly shot. But I think it will come down to Demidov may be more mature and has a stronger personality for Montreal.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
During last year's lead up to the draft, I have always voiced out that I truly believe Michkov was on the same level as Connor Bedard when they faced each other. Everytime you would watch a Canada-Russia game at the U18 or even the start of the U20 before they closed for COVID, Michkov was relentless, was a gamer, a pitbull and doghound. He would never back down from confrontation and adversity. Bedard would score 1 goal, Michkov would score 1 too. His team was behind against Canada, and he would step up and try to equalize and tie it up. I will always remember his hit on Simon Edvindsson who's 6ft7 or something.

He was my top prospect for the Habs after Bedard. I think that ultimately what us fans don't see and don't get to understand is that NHL teams and their scouting staff get to know the prospects better than us, on and off the ice. Ultimately, I think that there were some aspect of maybe his game, his personality that lead the Habs to skip over him as they didn't see a fit with the core of what they are trying to build.

I also think it would be hard for us to be truly competitive and contending in playoffs with 2 sub 5ft10 forwards in Caufield and Michkov. And adding a sub 5ft10 Hutson on the back end. I think ultimately, HuGo made the right choice in Reinbacher and Demidov. Demidov for me is more dynamic than Michkov, better passing, better edge work but Michkov has a better shot, a deadly shot. But I think it will come down to Demidov may be more mature and has a stronger personality for Montreal.

I don't see it as Michkov or Demidov. We will add many players over the years. So I see it as Michkov vs. Reinbacher. We had the choice of who to add and we chose Reinbacher. Right now, I don't know which would have been better. I suspect they made the decision personality/character, hockey (small and not that fast), and fit (we already have Caufield in the top 6).

Reactions: HabbyGuy

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
Or Demidov AND Michkov is better than Demidov and Reinbacher? We'll see in time what the answer to that question is.
In a non-cap world you can throw more money, pile on more skill and character issues can be diluted. If money is no issue, you can add a Toews or Bergeron like player to Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Tavares and better your chances at the Cup. In a cap world, you need to put more effort in figuring out the right mix. Without Demidov, Michkov would be worth the risk for me. With Demidov, it becomes touchy. Is the team better with Michkov or investing in a higher quality supporting cast to surround our current core?

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
In a non-cap world you can throw more money, pile on more skill and character issues can be diluted. If money is no issue, you can add a Toews or Bergeron like player to Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Tavares and better your chances at the Cup. But you need to figure out the right mix with the cap. Without Demidov, Michkov would be worth the risk for me. With Demidov, it becomes touchy. Is the team better with Michkov or investing in a higher quality supporting cast to surround our current core?

I'm happy with Reinbacher and Hage. But given our struggles with offense for many many years, I'm happy adding offense players even to the point where we have too many. Then, once you get to that point (where "too many" good offensive players have actually hit a point in their development curve where they're really good offensive players and we have too many) you can choose which ones to keep and which ones to move. I would have been fine with too many offensive weapons in Demidov, Michkov, and Eiserman, and then making moves in the future to balance out the lineup.

Reactions: Angler

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
But, but . . . Michkov is better. 😀
I know this is a joke but the little I saw of Michkov, I wasn’t that impressed. When he’s on he looked like Patty Kane but there just seemed like too many question marks for me to want him over Reinbacher. And yes I wanted Rein before the draft.

Demidov on the other hand I was blown away with but thought there was no way he’d fall to us.

Michkov could be better but I certainly wouldn’t bet on it. Demidov and Hutson are gonna have opposing teams falling all over themselves. Only to have that lumbering yesterday’s news oaf Slafkovsky running over the remaining defenders still on their feet. Then you have those other bums Suzuki, Caufield and Dach to feast on the scraps. Plus Guhle, Reinbacher, Xhekaj bros., Hage, Roy, Newhook, Beck, Mailloux etc., etc.

• Love
Reactions: HabbyGuy and bopeep

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
I know this is a joke but the little I saw of Michkov, I wasn’t that impressed. When he’s on he looked like Patty Kane but there just seemed like too many question marks for me to want him over Reinbacher. And yes I wanted Rein before the draft.

Demidov on the other hand I was blown away with but thought there was no way he’d fall to us.

Michkov could be better but I certainly wouldn’t bet on it. Demidov and Hutson are gonna have opposing teams falling all over themselves. Only to have that lumbering yesterday’s news oaf Slafkovsky running over the remaining defenders still on their feet. Then you have those other bums Suzuki, Caufield and Dach to feast on the scraps. Plus Guhle, Reinbacher, Xhekaj bros., Hage, Roy, Newhook, Beck, Mailloux etc., etc.
Michkov actually reminds me a lot of Brière. Similar size. A lot of goals coming directly from tapping in pucks around the crease.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Kind of cooled a bit on him but he could be an absolute beauty. I don’t know about wanting him over Demidov but Tij has a pretty insane shot.
Every GM is saying they got the player they want. Ir may be true, as lists differ. But I think HuGo would have been happy with Lindstrom, Senecke, or Iginla.

Reactions: Chr1s97

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad