Prospect Info: [2024 - 5th] Ivan Motherbleeping Demidov (RW), SKA St. Petersburg (MHL)

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Demidov wearing #11 or another number will make no difference in terms of marketing.
It could end up being a marketing boom. Demidov takes #91 to start his career and lots of jerseys get sold. Then Gallagher is gone two years later, Demidov switches to #11, and all those people with #91 jerseys buy a new one. Cha-ching!

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It could end up being a marketing boom. Demidov takes #91 to start his career and lots of jerseys get sold. Then Gallagher is gone two years later, Demidov switches to #11, and all those people with #91 jerseys buy a new one. Cha-ching!

Gallagher being allowed to wear Koivu's 11 is one of the biggest failures of the organization.. now he tainted the number and I want nothing to do with 11 on Demidov. Get 91, keep 91.

CaptnNemo

Nov 4, 2016
Just keep 11 for Aatos to bring back the Koivu legacy in a few years and let Ivan choose whatever number.

Personally I'd vouch for 27 but 91 would be good or maybe 96?

Reactions: DAChampion

InAG-P

Jun 19, 2003
T.O.
Visit site
Demidov demanding #11 is one thing, but if the org wants to market the hottest prospect in the past 30 years they might value that over Gally's hypothetical ego. I should say that Gallagher hasn't done anything yet, and if Demidov chooses another number out of respect that's fine. If Gally was going to be here for the long haul then I can understand, but the career overlap will be minimal.

Come to think of it, they might play 1-2 season together max. Maybe Demidov will be like gally and change his number after a few years wearing something else
I wonder if it's counter productive from a marketing perspective. Hear me out. Demidov taking 11 means everyone with a Gallagher jersey (and there are a lot) can simply change the name plate. If they want to make money, you get Demidov to take #91

Reactions: crosbyshow

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
Ice time. Playing in the top 6. PP time. Obviously I didn’t mean the extreme examples you gave.

But since you're just speculating, you can't speculate one and not the other.

Are you saying you can't develop without those things (top 6, pp time etc.)? Well that's hogwash.

What if he did come over, made the big club, but didn't get top 6 and PP time here? Would he, under your assumption, not develop here then?

All of this is nonsense.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
Gallagher being allowed to wear Koivu's 11 is one of the biggest failures of the organization.. now he tainted the number and I want nothing to do with 11 on Demidov. Get 91, keep 91.

I think the worse thing they did to Koivu was when they didn't offer him a contract, not even 1-year, after he became a UFA. Talk about a disrespectful snub to your captain.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Demidov demanding #11 is one thing, but if the org wants to market the hottest prospect in the past 30 years they might value that over Gally's hypothetical ego.
And they can’t market him if he wears say… number 15?
I should say that Gallagher hasn't done anything yet, and if Demidov chooses another number out of respect that's fine. If Gally was going to be here for the long haul then I can understand, but the career overlap will be minimal.
Demidov “chooses another number out of respect?”

You say that as though he’s doing Gallagher a favour.
Come to think of it, they might play 1-2 season together max. Maybe Demidov will be like gally and change his number after a few years wearing something else
Exactly. If he wants the number so bad, he can wait for it.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Doesn't really matter if Demidov gets 11 or not. In fact I'd prefer him to get #91 and let the guy etablish that number as a recognizable one in Habs history. Plus he is a very different player compared to Gallagher and Koivu so #91 just suits him better imho

Also , and no disrespect to Suzuki , Koivu , Plekanec , Gallagher , Gomez etc but i watched the number #11 and #14 in our top 6 for the last 2+ decades. Watching a highly skilled gamebreaker wearing #91 is just gonna feel fresh for some reason lol.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
But since you're just speculating, you can't speculate one and not the other.

Are you saying you can't develop without those things (top 6, pp time etc.)? Well that's hogwash.

What if he did come over, made the big club, but didn't get top 6 and PP time here? Would he, under your assumption, not develop here then?

All of this is nonsense.
If you’re a highly touted, offensive player, yes. You don’t think limited ice time, playing with scrubs, no PP time would hurt your development? There are a ton of posts of people bitching about prospects ice time and not getting opportunities. Why would a Khl team focus on some kid who may or may not be around for the year as opposed to another guy that will? In the end, I could be wrong (hope I am) but let’s see what shakes out this season.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Going from the MHL to the NHL is a real big step, probably too big in just one jump. Playing half a season in Laval would make for an easier transition.
It's not that big of a step IF you do not expect him to dominate. Juraj did make the move to the NHL early. I think it is fine if the player is developping.

Reactions: Hacketts

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
What would you rather AHL or KHL?
I would like him to play in Laval not only to get used to the NA way of playing the game but to also spend an extra year with future teammates. That time is invaluable. I also believe the AHL is a better league than the K these days.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I would like him to play in Laval not only to get used to the NA way of playing the game but to also spend an extra year with future teammates. That time is invaluable. I also believe the AHL is a better league than the K these days.
If we could get him to NA right away I think that would be a huge win. If you can control his development why wouldn't you?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad