Prospect Info: [2024 - 5th] Ivan Motherbleeping Demidov (RW), SKA St. Petersburg (MHL)

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
It’s a bunch of BS, just like the “interview is critical” nonsense, unless they’re truly scary. These are 17 and 18 year old kids. The Ducks didn’t even interview Sennecke ever.
They met with him at the combine but did not talk to him in the days leading up to the draft.

Gorton recently said very clearly in Montreal's case that an interview can absolutely move a kid up or down their list so I would lay off of the nonsensical comment as it is not applicable to this topic.

Reactions: Jaynki

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Looks like they released it August 31st last year, so they probably have it earlier but sit on it until then to ramp up excitement into training camp.

Nothing much to look forward to for the next 6-8 weeks right?

There a couple of good boxing match!

Nice card august 3. Dubois vs Joshua sept 12.

Maybe a trade for Laine until then?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I was chatting with a coworker the other day and he made the same comparison. That Demidov reminds him of Datsyuk.

Yup, I find Datsyuk is the better comparison but no two players are alike. I just don't see Demidov developing the one timer that Kucherov has. His game is puck possession and dynamic creativity like Datsyuk.

Reactions: HabzSauce

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Yup, I find Datsyuk is the better comparison but no two players are alike. I just don't see Demidov developing the one timer that Kucherov has. His game is puck possession and dynamic creativity like Datsyuk.

Agreed on Kucherov as they look very different on the ice as Kucherov is very upright and deliberate with a great one timer. Kucherov also prefers to slow the game down whereas Demidov plays with more pace and abandon. If Kucherov was not Russian he would not be used as a comparison.I know that Demidov himself even mentioned Kucherov but I think that was little more than naming a contemporary Russian star with great puck skills. Truthfully he is closer to Panarin but that is also a sketchy comparison as Demidov is bigger, stronger and more defensively aware.

I see potential for more of a Mitch Marner with more jam and grit as well as having a better shot. Datsyuk isn't a bad comparison either but I don't think that he will get to that level as Datsyuk is in the conversation as the greatest puck handler to ever play the game as well as being elite defensively. Demidov may very well be great at both of those things as well so stylistically you may have a very good point.

Picking a player as a comp is always a flawed endeavour destined for failure on some level but we all do it in order to envision a prospect playing in the NHL. I generally prefer to use a hybrid so how about a Datsyuk/Marner hybrid?

I also hear very little talk about Demidov at center although he played a fair bit of it last season, especially in the playoffs. I heard "Le Stupide" Boisvert entirely dismiss him as a potential center but he quite literally has all the qualities that you want as a center as well as having recently played the position in the most high leverage games that his team played last season. I am not saying that he will be a full time center in Montreal as we look to have a lot of them. I suspect that the Habs management see the potential as well as all of Suzuki, Dach, Hage, Beck and Kapanen are all right handed and with Demidov being a lefty could very well alternate with a right handed center on strong side draws without necessarily needing to switch during play as he can actually play the position.

We are hitting the Sahara desert portion of the hockey year so I suppose these types of extrapolations are going to take over the board until Hughes trades a dman or two lol.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I work side by side with some of the top executives on the planet and we’re wrong all the time, if we hit 80% of the time we’re happy. I agree he’s one of the best but still he could look back in 3 years and not be very happy about the decision, especially if someone in the room was banging on the table for Demidov. But if he hits most of the time it’s fine, just sucks when you miss. Again I think Sennecke is a special prospect
And I believe GMs have influence on the selection. Verbeek loves big physical players and Senneke has that plus the skill set.

Reactions: Gally11

MatWilson

Jan 7, 2020
When I watch Demidov's highlights, I can't help but think about Zheredev in terms of his hands. I always wondered what would have happened if Nikolai would have put it all together. We might find out.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Looks like they released it August 31st last year, so they probably have it earlier but sit on it until then to ramp up excitement into training camp.

Nothing much to look forward to for the next 6-8 weeks right?

Demidov's training camp/preseason start next week so there will be some games that I get access to and will post vids of them.

Kaladin

Nov 5, 2017
This pick has restored my faith in HuGo. Let's gooo!!!! Haven't been this excited for a Habs pick in forever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad