Prospect Info: [2024 - 5th] Ivan Motherbleeping Demidov (RW), SKA St. Petersburg (MHL)

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Brunet said « his Russian source » or something of the like. Up to now, that story only has one official source and a bunch of people repeating the « news ».

We also have teammates that spoke highly of Michkov. So unless more real sources come out, I don’t see this as a real red flag but more like bullshit to help him slid down the draft.
If you’re an NHL veteran, you have the right to negotiate a NTC. You’ve earned it.

If you’re a draft eligible prospect, you shouldn’t have the right to refuse an interview with a specific team. Liberia was always seen as a dickhead for refusing to go to Quebec. Michkov is the same for not even meeting with the Coyotes.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Brunet said « his Russian source » or something of the like. Up to now, that story only has one official source and a bunch of people repeating the « news ».

We also have teammates that spoke highly of Michkov. So unless more real sources come out, I don’t see this as a real red flag but more like bullshit to help him slid down the draft.
It’s a bunch of BS, just like the “interview is critical” nonsense, unless they’re truly scary. These are 17 and 18 year old kids. The Ducks didn’t even interview Sennecke ever.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
If you’re an NHL veteran, you have the right to negotiate a NTC. You’ve earned it.

If you’re a draft eligible prospect, you shouldn’t have the right to refuse an interview with a specific team. Liberia was always seen as a dickhead for refusing to go to Quebec. Michkov is the same for not even meeting with the Coyotes.
Guess what? They do have that right . . . and then they have to deal with the consequences, if any.

Reactions: ReHabs

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal

Jagr, Lindros, etc… it’s been done before.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Fair enough. I guess I worded it wrong. It should be held against him. He’s not above any team at the age of 18. He wasn’t even the best prospect in his draft class.
I agree with your basic point but Arizona still could have drafted Michkov. Like I said, Anaheim didn’t interview Sennecke.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021

Phillly did a great pick @7. I would have done the exact same thing. But I’m not deluding myself in thinking he’s a likeable guy. He’s not. IMO it’s the captain, the coach and the GM’s job to have him toe the line.

Reactions: dinodebino

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Phillly did a great pick @7. I would have done the exact same thing. But I’m not deluding myself in thinking he’s a likeable guy. He’s not. IMO it’s the captain, the coach and the GM’s job to have him toe the line.
A lot of guys are ass at 18 but they grow up, specially when a few vets put them back into their place. That’s one of the reasons why teams need leadership.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Anyone know when Habs TV will release some draft footage? They typically seem to upload a somewhat lengthy post-draft video with behind the scenes footage, interviews with prospects, scouts roundtable discussions etc..and this year’s should be awesome with Demidov and Hage. But nothing yet. I thought that is usually posted a few days after the draft but maybe I’m remembering wrong and it’s normally later in the summer.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Fwiw Mathias Brunet is on record naming Michkov attitude issues and he also named his sources who is a former Q players who played with Michkov in the KHL... valentin Zykov iirc?? But not sure i cant remember the name.

Btw, Brunet pretty much corroborated what his said in these shitty ass articles. Adding things like kicking his teammates when they are on his way instead of asking them de se tassez politely.

Honestly, from Nikolishin, Brunet. One can't ignore Michkov obvious red flag. His disrespect for defensive and hockey basic system is also an extension of what we hear from him. Insane talent but not a likeable personality.

Courtesy of The Athletic:

When Kent Hughes mentioned Friday night that the Canadiens had Demidov on their radar last year when they took David Reinbacher at No. 5 instead of a forward, that was only part of the story. Bobrov’s father, Sergei, has been a scout for SKA Saint Petersburg for 15 years. He had insight on Matvei Michkov most other teams did not have, and he also had insight on Demidov.

He’s been on the Canadiens’ radar for far longer than one year.

We’ve known Ivan for a number of years now because of my dad’s position and knowing young players in that organization is a big part of his job,” Bobrov said. “So we knew the kid, the family really well. I was fortunate enough to get there a couple of times and spend time with him and his family. We felt that we might have a chance at him, but not a significant one. It worked out, and clearly he was very happy to end up in Montreal. His family was looking forward to that.

“Part of the reason he wanted to be in Montreal was because he loves pressure. He embraces pressure and thrives on it. Sometimes we ask kids whether or not they will be OK playing in this city. He was begging for it. So that’s a good sign.”

That last part is the kicker. Demidov embracing pressure is a big part of what the Canadiens look for.

“His ceiling is as high as some of the best players in the league,” Bobrov said. “And he expects nothing less than that from himself, which is the most important part.”

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Anyone know when Habs TV will release some draft footage? They typically seem to upload a somewhat lengthy post-draft video with behind the scenes footage, interviews with prospects, scouts roundtable discussions etc..and this year’s should be awesome with Demidov and Hage. But nothing yet. I thought that is usually posted a few days after the draft but maybe I’m remembering wrong and it’s normally later in the summer.
Typically it drops about the third week of august as a primer ahead of rookie camp

The Don Hughes

Jun 22, 2017
Montreal, Qc
Oh man, I can't wait for this!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad