Prospect Info: [2024 - 5th] Ivan Motherbleeping Demidov (RW), SKA St. Petersburg (MHL)

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Michkov refused to meet with certain teams before the draft and it's a known fact. A player without character problem wouldn't have done that.
Jagr did the same thign

I honestly think the "putin is bad" political narrative that has been beat to death in the US played a major role in him dropping onto out laps.
Of course it did. Russophobia is just as real as islamophobia. Public opinion matters a whole lot and you can read it in the comments on most russian players/prospect's.

Reactions: themilosh

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I think if Demidov put 30-40 pts in 45-50 KHL games that would be a very very good season from him.

He can produce really well with his hockey IQ, I'm really confident with his potential production in KHL.

But the truly matters, it's If he put great highlights in KHL, that would be fantastic to see.

Reactions: themilosh

CaptnNemo

Nov 4, 2016
I think if Demidov put 30-40 pts in 45-50 KHL games that would be a very very good season from him.

He can produce really well with his hockey IQ, I'm really confident with his potential production in KHL.

But the truly matters, it's If he put great highlights in KHL, that would be fantastic to see.
I think he will

Imagine for this kid to have wanted to play for the Habs an original 6 club with 24 cups the motivation and will he'll have to compete up there and make sure he lives up to his talent and confidence compared to lets say Utha!?

That can make a huge difference imo mentally for a young adult dreaming about being in the nhl.

No prospects would not love to be drafted by the Montreal Canadiens.

We can't say this for all teams though!

• Love
Reactions: KevSkillz4

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
I honestly think the "putin is bad" political narrative that has been beat to death in the US played a major role in him dropping onto out laps.
I have a hard time seeing how one could lead to the other.

Do you think NHL general managers somehow believe that hockey players are collectively responsible for the war in Ukraine?

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I see more of a Datsyuk but with better height/size. I think Demidov's skating is much better than Kucherov. Kucherov skating is good for sure but it's not on Demidov's level IMO. Kucherov has 40%+ of his points on the PP and his best value as a star is his one timer. I'm not so sure Demidov will have that style of game as a star.

I was chatting with a coworker the other day and he made the same comparison. That Demidov reminds him of Datsyuk.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Jagr did the same thign

Of course it did. Russophobia is just as real as islamophobia. Public opinion matters a whole lot and you can read it in the comments on most russian players/prospect's.
I don't think you have a real understanding of the word phobia, if you do you are using it in an inappropriate context. Phobias

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
This is just patiently false. Former teammates have come out to persecute his attitude. Here's some links my dude:

I wouldn't trust any of those places.

Also, I believe I saw something that KHL teams have to have 2 players under the age of 20, or 21.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
I wouldn't trust any of those places.
Those places quote a Washington scout and an unnamed russian teammate of Michkov, and the same quotes were also mentionned in more mainstream media.

But in the end, it doesn't really matter if you or I believe or not they should be trusted or not. What matters if if GMs trusted them or not. And they had far better ways to learn more than any of us.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
im sure if SKA dont want him they will make some deal with the Habs to let him leave some will talk about cba rules but Philly/Michkov just broke a contract with 2 years left so we can do something about it also

This has been in the back of my head since we drafted him.

Not getting my hopes up, but it would be pretty nice if he could come over this year. I think a year in Laval would be good for him and would make watching Laval games much more fun.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Gord Miller’s been talking about it for a couple of years - he and Melnick were discussing how fans blame management / scouts but there’s many instances like 2012 draft where Edm scouts were split between Forsberg, Murray & Galchenyuk but absolutely wanted nothing to do with Yakupov.

Daryl Katz when told about the choice overruled hockey ops and told them to draft Yakupov.

Years later - One of Hollands conditions for joining Edm was he would have final say on all player movement without being overruled and Katz agreed

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Gord Miller’s been talking about it for a couple of years - he and Melnick were discussing how fans blame management / scouts but there’s many instances like 2012 draft where Edm scouts were split between Forsberg, Murray & Galchenyuk but absolutely wanted nothing to do with Yakupov.

Daryl Katz when told about the choice overruled hockey ops and told them to draft Yakupov.

Years later - One of Hollands conditions for joining Edm was he would have final say on all player movement without being overruled and Katz agreed

That's interesting, thank you.

Reactions: salbutera

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Don't know if it was posted in this thread as I'm coming back from my 10 days shift and did not have the time to read the whole thread yet but this is my favorite Demidov compilation on YT. I know it's junior but those hands are crazy. He makes those dangles and crazy tight passes look easy and effortless. Seems to have solid anticipation and hockey IQ too.

If his game translate to the NHL and he end up as the spectacular gamebreaking superstar we're all hoping him to become then he's gonna sell jerseys like hot cakes lol

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
I have a hard time seeing how one could lead to the other.

Do you think NHL general managers somehow believe that hockey players are collectively responsible for the war in Ukraine?

Certainly not, but the player's public opinion about the war, if one is known, may be a factor.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
This has been in the back of my head since we drafted him.

Not getting my hopes up, but it would be pretty nice if he could come over this year. I think a year in Laval would be good for him and would make watching Laval games much more fun.
i like the KHL but yes i would rather have him in Laval closer to our coaches,SKA knowing hes leaving wont care about his development specially in a team full of vets he might not see top 6 minutes or PP time

Reactions: Habssince89

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
Certainly not, but the player's public opinion about the war, if one is known, may be a factor.
You mean that GMs wouldn't want to draft a russian because they believe the public will disapprove? I mean, maybe, but I don't recall anyone in social media making such a point.

And not sure what is has to do with "Putin bad" or whatever that means.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
Those places quote a Washington scout and an unnamed russian teammate of Michkov, and the same quotes were also mentionned in more mainstream media.

But in the end, it doesn't really matter if you or I believe or not they should be trusted or not. What matters if if GMs trusted them or not. And they had far better ways to learn more than any of us.
The Washington scout wasn’t enough for me to buy the bad character meme. What did it for me was fan hockey boards like this in Russian language saying that he was a spoiled child even with all his money.

I still draft him if I’m Philadelphia. And if I know I can’t get Demidov, I still draft him with all the warts. There’s only a dozen elite forwards in this league and 30 teams.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Don't know if it was posted in this thread as I'm coming back from my 10 days shift and did not have the time to read the whole thread yet but this is my favorite Demidov compilation on YT. I know it's junior but those hands are crazy. He makes those dangles and crazy tight passes look easy and effortless. Seems to have solid anticipation and hockey IQ too.

If his game translate to the NHL and he end up as the spectacular gamebreaking superstar we're all hoping him to become then he's gonna sell jerseys like hot cakes lol

Watching all the Demidov stuff,
I am immediately transported to 2012 where, and I'll say it until I die , I was head over heels for Forsberg (and Galchenyuk for obvious C reasons)
But of all the footage I've seen of prospects the last 20+ years
I'll never forget the Forsberg vids and how badly he stood out in a great way, Just ridiculing everyone

But the turn off was obviously : yeahhhh but he's doing this vs tier 3 tier 2 swedes/leagues..
Will it translate to NHL?

Well, he went 12th OV and turned out to be the best player of the Draft

So while that doesn't 'seal it' for Demidov to be sure-fire PPG star player
I still just can't shake that feeling thinking back to allll those Forsberg vids of him terrorizing his junior league and how he 'obviously' was gonna 'make it'

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
I still draft him if I’m Philadelphia. And if I know I can’t get Demidov, I still draft him with all the warts. There’s only a dozen elite forwards in this league and 30 teams.
It's funny how, in the end, the "bad boy" ended up in Philadelphia, and the "Goody-two-shoes-model-prospect" ended up in Montreal. It just... fits. Franchises have their types.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad