Prospect Info: [2024 - 5th] Ivan Motherbleeping Demidov (RW), SKA St. Petersburg (MHL)

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
The only way to mess up a draft is to draft the wrong guys. If you have the choice between Suzuki and David Pasternak and draft Suzuki because you need a center then yeah you made a mistake Pasternak is the superior player but Suzuki is still a good pick and if your scouting team is good enough to draft a Suzuki every year you'll be in a very good position. Don't mix up drafting for need versus drafting the wrong players.

Yeah I’m not saying Sennecke was the wrong pick, I love his profile and upside. It’s just there seems to be a significant gap between him and Demidov from what I can see but wtf do I know. I liked KK lol

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
When the Habs picked Reinbacher, a lot of naysayers on this board said it was a bad strategic decision because the 2024 draft was obviously going to be too heavy with elite defenders.

That was a common take on here.

It stands out as a particularly dim one, as well as a particularly refuted one.

Yes, I'm guilty.
1520256134-risitasue2.png

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Yeah I’m not saying Sennecke was the wrong pick, I love his profile and upside. It’s just there seems to be a significant gap between him and Demidov from what I can see but wtf do I know. I liked KK lol
Martin Madden saw something in Sennecke. Madden is considered one of the best amateur scouts...

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
When the Habs picked Reinbacher, a lot of naysayers on this board said it was a bad strategic decision because the 2024 draft was obviously going to be too heavy with elite defenders.

That was a common take on here.

It stands out as a particularly dim one, as well as a particularly refuted one.
The real mess up is to not have drafted both Michkov and Demidov.

• Haha
Reactions: nicehiss

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
Martin Madden saw something in Sennecke. Madden is considered one of the best amateur scouts...

I work side by side with some of the top executives on the planet and we’re wrong all the time, if we hit 80% of the time we’re happy. I agree he’s one of the best but still he could look back in 3 years and not be very happy about the decision, especially if someone in the room was banging on the table for Demidov. But if he hits most of the time it’s fine, just sucks when you miss. Again I think Sennecke is a special prospect

Reactions: badfish and Tyson

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He's consistently not very good with forwards.

He's drafted these guys in the top 60:
Zegras, Jones, Steel, Comtois, Morand, Nattinen, Ritchie, Sorensen, Karlsson, Rakell, DSP, Palmieri, Holland, Lundestrom, BO Groulx, Tracey, Perrault, Colangelo, Mactavish.

Zegras, Karlsson, Rakell, Palmieri and Mactavish are the only players I'd consider a success.

His true value is finding defenders.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
Byron too don't forget him. That was a fantastic pickup.

Danault was one of our most valuable players while he was here you can't take that way from MB just because he was an unknown prospect.

And I disagree with Weaver and especially weise. Both played huge roles for us in 2014 and once weise started to fall off, he turned him into danault. Doesn't matter if they were depth guys or superstars - a good move is a good move

MB has plenty of wrong doings but gotta give credit where it's due.
The only reason Byron was a good pickup was because our team was crap and remained crap for a long time. Don’t get me wrong, I loved Byron. But Byron would be a bench warmer or injury reserve on a contending team, most likely.

Reactions: Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I work side by side with some of the top executives on the planet and we’re wrong all the time, if we hit 80% of the time we’re happy. I agree he’s one of the best but still he could look back in 3 years and not be very happy about the decision, especially if someone in the room was banging on the table for Demidov. But if he hits most of the time it’s fine, just sucks when you miss. Again I think Sennecke is a special prospect
Madden has been wrong in the past but for some reason he seems to know how to find talent more than most. Sennecke could very well bust.

Reactions: Gally11

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You don't know yet if this is a mess up or not. I don't either. Nobody really does. It's possible Michkov flop because of out of ice issues and Reinbacher develop as the next Pietrangelo.
I do know to the best of my ability and it's my opinion. If I see the color of a car before you I'm not gonna say "maybe it's black, maybe it's white" I'll say I think it's red. We have to stop inhibiting argumentation, especially in a message board.

There's no actual reported out of ice issues with Michkov, we need to stop parroting this around. It could happen to Demidov and Reinbacher just as much.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
The real mess up is to not have drafted both Michkov and Demidov.
Meh. I think bad attitude is overrated. If there’s no other way to fill a need, a total jerk diva is fine with me.

But in a cap world, with Demidov on, Michkov becomes unnecessary overkill. Maybe draft and trade him to get more value in return than drafting Reinbacher? With hindsight they have the guy they like in Reinbacher.

But no Michkov with warts and all and no Demidov, our rebuild is a couple of years longer.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

Danault was one of our most valuable players while he was here you can't take that way from MB just because he was an unknown prospect.

And I disagree with Weaver and especially weise. Both played huge roles for us in 2014 and once weise started to fall off, he turned him into danault. Doesn't matter if they were depth guys or superstars - a good move is a good move

I think danault exceeded expectations. I remember he started out on the 4th line, but it's not like he was picked up out of the blue. He was a first round pick, and from the beginning of his time in Montreal, you could see that he might turn into something because he had a fantastic motor.

Reactions: HabzSauce

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Meh. I think bad attitude is overrated. If there’s no other way to fill a need, a total jerk diva is fine with me.

But in a cap world, with Demidov on, Michkov becomes unnecessary overkill. Maybe draft and trade him to get more value in return than drafting Reinbacher? With hindsight they have the guy they like in Reinbacher.

But no Michkov with warts and all and no Demidov, our rebuild is a couple of years longer.
Depends. AG failed mostly because of bad attitude. The player on the ice was not bad.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Michkov isn't a jerk diva.

It's always possible to trade Caufield, Newhook, etc too.

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
I like what Hughes said after the first round interview about not wanting to draft similar players......they knew about Demidov when they drafted Reinbacher......thats why no Mitchkov for us.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016

Like I said 2014 was definitely the exception and look what happened. They should've made the finals. Besides that, his TDL were absolute garbage. He didn't take advantage of a prime carey price. When we remember Habs history in 30 years, the reason for Carey Price never winning a cup will most fall on MB

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I think danault exceeded expectations. I remember he started out on the 4th line, but it's not like he was picked up out of the blue. He was a first round pick, and from the beginning of his time in Montreal, you could see that he might turn into something because he had a fantastic motor.
Funny enough, I was saying Danault was gonna be a lot more than a 4th line player back when people didn't even think he was a regular with the Habs.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
Depends. AG failed mostly because of bad attitude. The player on the ice was not bad.
I’ll take AG’s bad attitude with his dad with elite skills any day. With the best attitude in the world, he doesn’t have the skills to get in that top tier forward category.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
Michkov isn't a jerk diva.

It's always possible to trade Caufield, Newhook, etc too.
Im the number one Michkov fan and followed him this season. There’s somethings’ that raise red flags. Like his mid-season mystery illness. I’ve also read russian language hockey message boards and the guy is just not a likeable guy. With that said, I would still draft him if there’s no other way to get that elite forward.

Reactions: HuGo Burner Acc

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
The only reason Byron was a good pickup was because our team was crap and remained crap for a long time. Don’t get me wrong, I loved Byron. But Byron would be a bench warmer or injury reserve on a contending team, most likely.
On a stacked team like Tampa Bay maybe....any other contender would have been happy to have him im sure

Great on PK, had wheels, good shot in tight.... He was a good third liner before the injuries caught up

Reactions: Leon Lucius Black

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad