Prospect Info: [2024 - 5th] Ivan Motherbleeping Demidov (RW), SKA St. Petersburg (MHL)

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
He would never admit it but Reinbacher must be very happy that the Habs picked Demidov.
Ending up with Reinbacher and Demidov is the best outcome possible. But it would have been better for everyone that the two drafts would have been flipped. Brushing aside that Michkov’s not a Torts type of player at all, a lot of his goals are translatable. He’ll be deadly on the PP on Day 1 and he’ll put up points early. This nips the issue in the bud early. Takes tons of pressure off.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
When the smoke clears and David Reinbacher is a 23 minute per night complete Dman we will see why he was picked.
I saw some really good things in the 11 AHL games that he played.

At the end of the day, Reinbacher was a target by several teams and we took him before them. The focus should be on his development and getting him to that 23 min/game. Michkov has to be forgotten about.... it's too distracting for Reinbacher's development.

Yup, Early signs from both Mailloux and Reinbacher in the AHL. Mailloux for the entire season and Reinbacher at the end. They stepped in and performed well. That's not easy to do in your 1st AHL season.

Reactions: Tyson and Redux91

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
When the smoke clears and David Reinbacher is a 23 minute per night complete Dman we will see why he was picked.
I saw some really good things in the 11 AHL games that he played.

tbh I was thinking the other day..

Is someone like Levshunov really THAT much better than Reinbacher?

Maybe.

Maybe not.

Maybe Reinbacher turns out the better player, too.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021

Maybe.

Maybe not.

Hawks fans are really pissed. It’s not as much of a rabid fan base as Montreal but Levshunov will needs to fight through the pressure of passing on Demidov to play with Bedard.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Don't want to make it a Bergevin hate/love or compare but it's interesting to look at and how that changes as time moves forward. After this last draft, the balance might have tipped the scales into Hughes acquired assets.

Demidov tips the scales for me.

Bergevin:

* Suzki :naughty:
* Guhle :naughty:
* Caufield :naughty:
* Lehkonen
* Romanov
* Primeau
* Mailloux
* Roy
* Xhekaj
* Kapanen

Hughes:
* Slafkovsky :naughty:
* Demidov :naughty:
* Reinbacher :naughty:
* Dach/Romanov Flip :naughty:
* Hutson :naughty:
* Newhook
* Fowler
* Beck
* Hage
* Engstrom
* Barron
* Koivu
* Mesar

I feel like the Bergevin group by and large did ok finding D, but were generally poor with forwards. Caufield is our only homegrown one currently on roster, although Roy has potential. We'll see about Kapanen.

Slafkovsky, Demidov, Hage, Beck, Mesar are all really skilled. They added 2 more skill guys in Dach & Newhook. This is the deepest forward/prospects group we've had in a long, long time. Probably since the 80s. Even our best draft under Timmins, it was 3D & 1 forward (McDonagh, Subban, Weber & Pacioretty).

Maybe the Gainey era when we had Plekanec, Higgins, Ryder, Grabovsky, the Kostitsyn brothers all arriving around the same time. And had Koivu and Kovalev on the team.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I wouldn't give too much credit for Bargainbin drafting Caufield. He slid down the 1st round because of his size and fell into his lap.

Who deserves credit is BS. The draft has a lot of luck and that applies to every single scout and GM in the NHL. Does Hughes get credit for Demidov slipping? You going to make him a genius and then take it away from Bergevin with Caufield?

At the end of the day, I'll say 40% of our assets are from Bergevin and 60% of our assets are from Hughes (as it stands today) There is no need to spin this or create side angle debates.

I feel like the Bergevin group by and large did ok finding D, but were generally poor with forwards. Caufield is our only homegrown one currently on roster, although Roy has potential. We'll see about Kapanen.

Slafkovsky, Demidov, Hage, Beck, Mesar are all really skilled. They added 2 more skill guys in Dach & Newhook. This is the deepest forward/prospects group we've had in a long, long time. Probably since the 80s. Even our best draft under Timmins, it was 3D & 1 forward (McDonagh, Subban, Weber & Pacioretty).

Maybe the Gainey era when we had Plekanec, Higgins, Ryder, Grabovsky, the Kostitsyn brothers all arriving around the same time. And had Koivu and Kovalev on the team.

With me, I like to step out of the woods and look at the forest (root cause of the problem). Bergevin had long term vision issues with his strategy. That's where is all ends up in his failure.

Hughes took the baton away and is running a much better marathon. The good news is he didn't have to start from scratch. And yeah, our pool is deep with both quality and quantity now.

We deserve to be happy and it's not gullible happiness... it's about F N time!

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Rein seems smarter to me
And slightly better defensively
We could of done a loooot worse than picking the Best D (RD no less) in last years Draft
(But , on s'entend, Demidov obviously changed everything F Depth wise to cushion the blow of not going F last year)

Now, the rebuild boasts *2* Top Line Winger Talents, and a 6"3 two way RD with good skating with the 3 straight Top5 picks (with loads of other decent picks made right along with them)

It's all comin up Milhouse now boys

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
Who deserves credit is BS. The draft has a lot of luck and that applies to every single scout and GM in the NHL. Does Hughes get credit for Demidov slipping? You going to make him a genius and then take it away from Bergevin with Caufield?

At the end of the day, I'll say 40% of our assets are from Bergevin and 60% of our assets are from Hughes (as it stands today) There is no need to spin this or create side angle debates.

Wait what? Who deserves credit is BS? Weren't you the one who posted the comparison between MB and KH? And made it a competition by saying KH is now winning by selecting Demidov?!? lol

C'mon man.

And nope, I wouldn't call HuGo geniuses for selecting Demidov. That's which they were supposed to pick at #5 if he was available. Just like MB with Caufield.

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
I saw that Demidov played both as a center and a winger in the MHL. Is he going ti be played as a C in the KHL? Is he a C/W hybrid or a pure winger?

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
At the end of the day, Reinbacher was a target by several teams and we took him before them. The focus should be on his development and getting him to that 23 min/game. Michkov has to be forgotten about.... it's too distracting for Reinbacher's development.

Yup, Early signs from both Mailloux and Reinbacher in the AHL. Mailloux for the entire season and Reinbacher at the end. They stepped in and performed well. That's not easy to do in your 1st AHL season.
How could this possibly be distracting for Reinbacher's development?

• Love
Reactions: Tyson

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I wouldn't give too much credit for Bargainbin drafting Caufield. He slid down the 1st round because of his size and fell into his lap.

He could have easily passed on him like the teams immediately before him as the following 3 picks of Newhhook , Krebs and Harley were all very highly coveted as well.

Reactions: mdk

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
The problem I had when trying to compare Reinbacher with this year's crop of RD, is that there's no real comparison. Reinbacher is the only one drafted out of a pro league, and he has a very safe and translatable game. A guy like Levshunov may has a higher ceiling IMHO, but that doesn't mean he would be a "better" pick. Picking a guy you are fairly sure can become a big minutes player has its own value.

Interesting. They probably saw how big Japanese baseball clubs were getting paid from MLB.
I think the KHL is also hurting with the russian economy being what it is, so a quick infusion of foreign money may suddenly be way more tantalizing.

Reactions: cphabs

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
The problem I had when trying to compare Reinbacher with this year's crop of RD, is that there's no real comparison. Reinbacher is the only one drafted out of a pro league, and he has a very safe and translatable game. A guy like Levshunov may has a higher ceiling IMHO, but that doesn't mean he would be a "better" pick. Picking a guy you are fairly sure can become a big minutes player has its own value.
That's a fair, reasonable assessment. Feels like I'm on a different board all of a sudden ;)

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Maybe.

Maybe not.

Depends what you mean by "THAT much better". I think there's broad consensus he was a better RD prospect in his DY, and I'd bet he'll have a better D+1 season (if only because I can't see Michigan State imploding the way Kloten did).

It doesn't mean that Reinbacher wont be a good player though.

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
Probably old news but my mind is still blown by how much the stars had to align for us to get Demidov. An important decision point was Anaheim. Rumour is they were deciding between two players before going with Sennecke. If the other player they were considering was Demidov, and they went with him, he isn’t a Hab today. If the other player was Lindstrom and they snabbed him. Then CLB likely would have traded the pick (probably to Chicago), who would have then took Demidov.

We got so damn lucky!

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
Probably old news but my mind is still blown by how much the stars had to align for us to get Demidov. An important decision point was Anaheim. Rumour is they were deciding between two players before going with Sennecke. If the other player they were considering was Demidov, and they went with him, he isn’t a Hab today. If the other player was Lindstrom and they snabbed him. Then CLB likely would have traded the pick (probably to Chicago), who would have then took Demidov.

We got so damn lucky!
I was born in 1994. This is a top 3 day in my life as a Habs fan. I still haven’t totally recovered emotionally fron last friday’s excitment

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad