Prospect Info: [2024 - 5th] Ivan Motherbleeping Demidov (RW), SKA St. Petersburg (MHL)

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
Russia was due for another star. Michkov and Demidov might be both stars. Seems like Demidov has an edge over Michkov. We will see how that plays out.
We fortunately landed the better of the two. But I still hope it works out for Flyers fans. I think Brière understands’ Michkov’s style. He also scored a ton of his goals hiding around the net and popping out to score….

But there will be serious growing pains with Torts. Every second paragraph on Flyers blogs is about Torts.

Someone put this as a joke. I think this is actually very realistic:

“When asked why he had decided to bench Matvei Michkov 3 games into the season after a 2 goal, 1 assist outing, Coach John Tortorella responded that it would be good for Michkov to see the smaller ice surface from the press box and to study how Scott Laughton and Garnet Hathaway play in their own end of the ice.”

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
It's tracking to have 3 very good lines. Lots of options to tinker with. We basically got 5 guys that can play center (behind Suzuki/Dach) with Newhook, Beck, Hage, Kapanen, Koivu. A few of them are moving to wing in the bottom 6 but we should have a very good 3rd and 4th line too.

Roy / Suzuki / Demidov
Caufield / Dach / Slaf
Newhook / Beck / Hage

The great thing about that while Suzuki, Roy & Caufield were brought in by Bergevin, the rest are all new management. That's a nice haul by them.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Why either? I think a year in the CHL would do him wonders (in a big market), he's not Slafkovski.
Guys like Galchenyuk, Kotkaniemi, Slafkovsky, and even Zach Benson/Cole Sillinger were year 1 NHLers, Demidov is not coming to North America to play in the Q. If he comes over this year and somehow doesn't make the NHL roster he'll be in Laval.

Demidov really isn't a "normal" prospect who is going to need to a year in the CHL, a year in the AHL, and a year split between AHL/NHL before breaking into the top 6 in his D+4 or D+5. He genuinely might already be our third best forward at this very moment and is almost certainly no lower than 5th after Suzuki, Slafkovsky, Caufield, and Dach.

Last edited:

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
It's so funny seeing the '5"11 181lbs' on most sites still and thinking .... um, STILL would of sprinted to the podium to draft him :laugh:

And I know I'm obviously biased here
But nobody can convince me his Smile wouldn't of been as big drafted by someone else, I really don't care what anyone says lol
You can legit SEE on his face he is beyond happy it turned out this way
A ridiculous FIT in MTL, it doesn't even make sense this happened still..

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
It's so funny seeing the '5"11 181lbs' on most sites still and thinking .... um, STILL would of sprinted to the podium to draft him :laugh:

And I know I'm obviously biased here
But nobody can convince me his Smile wouldn't of been as big drafted by someone else, I really don't care what anyone says lol
You can legit SEE on his face he is beyond happy it turned out this way
A ridiculous FIT in MTL, it doesn't even make sense this happened still..
Personally, I think the funniest is thinking Celebrini was taller and bigger and using that in argument all season long...

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Bobrov did the hell of a sell job and Demidov played a bit the "maybe I'll stay in Russia longer card" in interviews to other teams because he wanted to come to Montréal.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
MHL is the CHL - but bigger tournaments and more practice.
NA adaptation.
Yeah, I'm really not digging the knocks on the MHL
All the top players are 20 years old
And it's not like it's a bunch of tier 3 Europeans in the league like... it's Russia.
They take hockey pretty seriously there despite what people think of strength of leagues

But it would definitely be cool to see him play some 30 KHL games next year
But if it doesn't happen for political reasons, that's fine too

He's here next April either way.
I waited *two years* for Caufield people forget lol

Reactions: SOLR

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
MHL is the CHL - but bigger tournaments and more practice.
NA adaptation.

I think the best comparable league for MHL it's USHL. When I watch production of Kucherov, Michkov and much more. That's sound USHL type of production for great players like Jack Hughes with 2 ppg. Demidov have 2 ppg too at 17 years old. The difference between Hughes and Demidov, it's the skating ability. Hughes is a better skater. But Demidov have unreal skillset at offensive like Hughes.

Reactions: themilosh

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
Personally, I think the funniest is thinking Celebrini was taller and bigger and using that in argument all season long...

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Bobrov did the hell of a sell job and Demidov played a bit the "maybe I'll stay in Russia longer card" in interviews to other teams because he wanted to come to Montréal.
And if we want to play that game, who’s more undersized considering position, the 5:11 1/2 #1 center or the “smallish winger” that looked on video as big as anyone he played against?

Reactions: Redux91

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Damn I would love to see this for Demidov. It might be in the cards if SKA sends him to MHL again. Hughes did say they would have to reconsider things if that happens.
Heard that. If I'm SKA and I know he won't be a top 6 player in the KHL this year, I tell the Habs he's going to the MHL and ask for a boatload of money to break his contract.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
That's incredible. Imagine 2 secondes having Caufield, Demidov and Hutson on the same PP.
Slaf/Demidov/Hutson will be pure chaos.
They might actually need a garbage collector instead of Caufield/Suzuki.

Heard that. If I'm SKA and I know he won't be a top 6 player in the KHL this year, I tell the Habs he's going to the MHL and ask for a boatload of money to break his contract.
That is illegal per the CBA/NHL rules.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

You're not allowed to do that. It's against NHL regs; however because he has one year left on his contract I think Montreal can sign him to an ELC, it just gets deferred to next year. He can use the signing bonus towards the buy-out.

Reactions: David Suzuki

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
Slaf/Demidov/Hutson will be pure chaos.
They might actually need a garbage collector instead of Caufield/Suzuki.

That is illegal per the CBA/NHL rules.
Then why arent the Flyers punished for paying 1m to SKA for Michkov? As long as Demidov pays the last year of his contract by himself, Molson can give whatever sum of money he wants to SKA lmao

Reactions: themilosh

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
You're not allowed to do that. It's against NHL regs; however because he has one year left on his contract I think Montreal can sign him to an ELC, it just gets deferred to next year. He can use the signing bonus towards the buy-out.
They probably exploited some loophole in the clause.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Then why arent the Flyers punished for paying 1m to SKA for Michkov? As long as Demidov pays the last year of his contract by himself, Molson can give whatever sum of money he wants to SKA lmao
I haven't seen any news about the Flyers paying SKA 1m for them to loan Michkov to them because they don't want to play him in their own club.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad