Prospect Info: [2024 - 5th] Ivan Motherbleeping Demidov (RW), SKA St. Petersburg (MHL)

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
No, we have to immediately write off his career. He didn't put up 100 plus points in junior and regardless of him showing out to be one of the best in his age group in international tournaments that meant something, and the playoffs, his hockeydb page doesn't show big enough numbers so he sucks and is a terrible pick.

Mesar has to be top 6 or he isn't going to have a long NHL career. That is not a given, but neither is any pick in the late 20s of a draft (which people can't seem to grasp, either) but the traits, tools and ability is there. The odds of it happening are low because they always are low when you are talking about late firsts and beyond.
Crazy eh? People always say they want us to swing for the fences in the early rounds for offensive potential. We drafted a player late in the 1st round with elite speed, high end passing and processing and they're still not happy and writing him off at age 20.

Maybe he'll pan out. Maybe he won't. He was a late-1st though and you're never going to get a flawless player at that point. As I mentioned, he has some strong offensive traits. We'll see if he can put it together in the next few years.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
I saw a video this morning saying that nhl teams can now negotiate with KHL teams to buy out a players contract. Apparently it also allows Russians to compete in tournaments and olympics again. Anyone else hear this? I guess previously the Russian ice hockey federation had control over these things, now they don’t.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Demidov might be good, but not good enough to be the topic of discussion in his own thread.

You've been around long enough to know a thread at some point veers off subject. It's part of our nature around here.

Mesar isn't always talked about in his own thread. So he needs to make an appearance in someone else's.

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
I saw a video this morning saying that nhl teams can now negotiate with KHL teams to buy out a players contract. Apparently it also allows Russians to compete in tournaments and olympics again. Anyone else hear this? I guess previously the Russian ice hockey federation had control over these things, now they don’t.

yup, they can get out of contracts and come over now via buyouts

Reactions: Rozz

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
So we are going to bring Demidov over this season with this new buyout thing right seems super dumb not to when this gives you full control of his development and gets him used to NA ice earlier

I think it would be ideal for him to play the year in the KHL.. but if there's any chance his minutes will be low or are low, then you gotta get him over ASAP

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
I think there is a case to be made here about the fact that KHL teams as short on cash due to all the trade sanction against Russia. Selling young asset may be a way for them to get back into the black. Given that Demidov wont stay beyond next year, it's an easy decision to "sell" him now in that context. I would take advantage of this.

For MTL, the biggest problem would be how to get money into Russia with the sanction in place.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
I'm not expecting it, but I would definitely be happy if he came over this summer.

KHL is fine developmentally for him, but I like the idea of AHL better and having him with our dev staff.

Also I would totally watch Laval games more if he was down there.

lillypad33

Sep 20, 2008
Kitchener
Having some distance between him and the media circus may be beneficial for his career. If he is in the AHL and having some success, the calls for his movement to the big club will happen every day.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Bobrov's dad is in the organization so I'm sure they'll know what the plan is and how things will go.

I don't think they have a plan for Demidov, as they never had any with Michkov.

The guy is going to leave so they don't really care about developping him, or make him happy or even give him any quality ice-time, they will give all of this to players that might stick with them in the long run and to their vets.

Best case scenario, it's the Michkov scenario....they loan him to a bottom feeding KHL team to get some ice-time there.

Reactions: Redux91

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Having some distance between him and the media circus may be beneficial for his career. If he is in the AHL and having some success, the calls for his movement to the big club will happen every day.

This management seems pretty unbothered by what the media wants...Demidov in the AHL and developed internally vs limited KHL minutes is a no brainer

Reactions: Milhouse40

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021

The guy is going to leave so they don't really care about developping him, or make him happy or even give him any quality ice-time, they will give all of this to players that might stick with them in the long run and to their vets.

Best case scenario, it's the Michkov scenario....they loan him to a bottom feeding KHL team to get some ice-time there.
The KHL has a rule that stop team from loaning players to another team in the last year of their contract.

Reactions: Milhouse40 and Leto

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

They just didn't seem to like Michkov - keep in mind, Bobrov's dad was there too for Michkov. Michkov was a ND for us and we all hear the smoke around it. Michkov was so valueless to SKA that even with 4 years of control, they loaned him out to another KHL team for 2 of it and then let Philly take him for the rest of it. That is an organization that just didn't care about the individual rather than the player.

They may still do the vet laden thing, but if that's the truth then Bobrov will know that and they'll try to use this new landscape to their advantage to get him out of there. If they don't intend to play him and no tactics worked on an extension then I'm sure the financial compensation would be worth more to them than just kicking a kid around for a few months.

They cannot loan a player in the final year of his contract to another team so it's KHL with SKA, VHL or MHL for him in Russia. Even the VHL would be a better option than the MHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad