Prospect Info: [2024 - 5th] Ivan Motherbleeping Demidov (RW), SKA St. Petersburg (MHL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I can see the neck but not sure about lumbar. Fusion is rock solid and you would never notice the loss of flexibility that low. I don't google these things. BTW i had a neck fusion and in the field.
I too am not sure about lumbar, and in that discussion I had a figure from a paper that showed the differences in the forces involved between cervical, thoracic and lumbar, but the German place that we were discussing seems to do it everywhere on the spine. Leading Spinal Disc & Facet Joint Replacement Surgeons | Spine Connection . The problem with fusion is that it entails wear and tear in the vertebrae just above (or in other cases, below) the fused portion, which could be harsh on a hockey player. I'd like to simulate the difference to explore these competing options, ADR vs fusion, if I had the funding :skeptic:. Here's a thousand words.
1724811050905.png

Last edited:

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
That’s the whole reason for all this. They want to take additional time for rehab because they want avoid surgery and don’t want to take the chance of him aggravating it or re-injuring it at this critical juncture in the rehabilitation process.
Yes, however, these herniated disc injuries are tricky because the decision to operate is subjective, it can be re-injured with either course, and delaying the surgery can affect the outcome. Either decision can leave you second guessing.

I would understand the pick if he was a lot better than his peers but he wasn’t.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Yes, however, these herniated disc injuries are tricky because the decision to operate is subjective, it can be re-injured with either course, and delaying the surgery can affect the outcome. Either decision can leave you second guessing.

I would understand the pick if he was a lot better than his peers but he wasn’t.
Generally, the prognosis is better if it heals on its own without surgery. In some cases, that isn’t possible, but it’s quite obvious that they think it is in Lindstrom’s particular case, hence the extra precautions and extended rehab timeline.

Healing it without surgery is obviously option A and is what they are prioritizing. Rushing him back puts plan A in jeopardy and they aren’t taking that chance if they think success via this route is still on the table.

Obviously things can change at anytime, but for the above reasons, I don’t think it’s time to panic yet. This is just them being careful and trying for the best option. His agent pretty much said this is the plan just before the draft, so this isn’t really unexpected. You can’t really put a definite timeline on these things, and patience and an abundance of caution is required.

If the time comes when he’s slated for major surgery, I’ll agree it’s time to hit the panic button, because that means that there have been additional setbacks and complications that aren’t currently in the picture, and we’d be looking at an entire additional year+ of rehab and recovery, with basically zero chance he’s ever coming back at 100%.

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada

Some quotes by Scouts: (each paragraph a different scout)

Demidov is a dexterous, mechanically sound puck handler with the sort of fast-twitch wrists necessary to bring his ideas to life. Every move serves a purpose.

Demidov is an elite offensive talent with elite hockey sense in high danger scoring areas. Some players are programmed to battle more than others and Demidov’s combination of skill and will is noticeable.

The most dynamic offensive talent in this draft

A fantastically creative, dynamic, intelligent, and potent winger, Ivan Demidov could develop into a perennial Top 10 scorer league-wide. He finds highly effective yet stunningly creative solutions to many problems he encounters.

He’s the best puck handler we’ve scouted in the past 3 drafts, Bedard included.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad