2024-25 Utica Comets and ECHL thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Alex Young comes to Adirondack via Colgate University 2021-2023 (3 seasons) and 1 last year at Arizona State University. There was no Cornell in his hockey history. He played 7 games with Adirondack at the end of last season, 2/4/6/7GP.

As to his attending Utica's camp, a large number of Thunder attend Utica's camp because an equally large number of Comets attend NJ's camp. Most have little chance of making either of those perspective rosters.

He is a C/W so that might make him more valuable in putting 4 centers on the ice. Last season the Comets played their 2 preseason games with a heavy Thunder roster of whom most were cut the second jersey sent down the Comets.

I actually have no idea if Young will start out here. Maybe so they get a look. He had really good numbers in his 2nd and 3rd seasons at Colgate - 70Pts/79GP, but his numbers at Arizona State were not good at all - 9Pts/37GP. Az. St. numbers say he looks to be Thunder material unless he suddenly sparkles.

The Comets have 17 forwards already signed to either AHL or NHL contracts. He would become the 18th if he were to even get an AHL contract. He'll first have to get by Malone and Ghantous,
already in a big battle just to make the roster in Utica. Dineen won't carry 17 forwards having to seat 5/game. I would guess 15 at the start or very soon after. Who knows what NJ will do yet that could figure into the mix.

Have been using those two schools by mistake interchangeably for like 25 years. Probably because they're travel partners. Yes, it was Colgate not Cornell.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
NJ Devils training camp opens tomorrow. We'll get a chance to see how many definite and possible Comets will attend the camp. NJ will be Prague bound before the last 3 scheduled NHL preseason games will be played. That means there will have to be enough players to constitute an NHL roster for those games. It will be Comets, Comets hopefuls, PTOs the Devils have already signed, and possibly a player or two the Devils decide to leave home. I would hope Jersey management would not leave any player with a serious shot to be a Devil behind to play in preseason games while the rest of the team is enjoying a trip to Europe.

Josh Filmon missed the Rookie camp and will also miss the Devils preseason camp due to an injury that I have not seen Identified.

We also know that Luke Hughes is injured and will not be available to the Devils for a reported 4 to 6 weeks.

Simon Nemec was injured during the world tournament and it has not been reported as to whether or not he will be healthy for camp.

We'll have to follow things closely to see how things play out.

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
NJ Devils training camp opens tomorrow. We'll get a chance to see how many definite and possible Comets will attend the camp. NJ will be Prague bound before the last 3 scheduled NHL preseason games will be played. That means there will have to be enough players to constitute an NHL roster for those games. It will be Comets, Comets hopefuls, PTOs the Devils have already signed, and possibly a player or two the Devils decide to leave home. I would hope Jersey management would not leave any player with a serious shot to be a Devil behind to play in preseason games while the rest of the team is enjoying a trip to Europe.

Josh Filmon missed the Rookie camp and will also miss the Devils preseason camp due to an injury that I have not seen Identified.

We also know that Luke Hughes is injured and will not be available to the Devils for a reported 4 to 6 weeks.

Simon Nemec was injured during the world tournament and it has not been reported as to whether or not he will be healthy for camp.

We'll have to follow things closely to see how things play out.
If thr injuries keep mounting up they may need you to play. I’m sure you still have those horsehair filled leg pads somewhere. Just get a moto tool and buff that rust off the fasteners on the straps.

Reactions: Guadana

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
My last pair were Heatons. Aquired from Boston Bruins keeper Blaine Lacher in '94-95 or 95-96. I can't remember exactly as it was through a third party. He didn't like them. Stuffed with a combination of deer hair and a special foam. The outside was synthetic-like leather that absorbed little water. The only water absorption was on the inside of the pad coming from my sweat.

I loved those pads. Still have them, but last used them in 2002 when I hung 'em up for good at age 53.
My knees were not working the way I needed them to, one hip would require surgery for an implant, and my eyes had cataracts and were approaching a need for a double cornea transplant. The eye issues were not hockey related, but my vision was the major reason I quit. A goalie that can't see is a danger to himself and a cancer to his team (which could also be a danger to himself, LOL)!.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Sponsor
My last pair were Heatons. Aquired from Boston Bruins keeper Blaine Lacher in '94-95 or 95-96. I can't remember exactly as it was through a third party. He didn't like them. Stuffed with a combination of deer hair and a special foam. The outside was synthetic-like leather that absorbed little water. The only water absorption was on the inside of the pad coming from my sweat.

I loved those pads. Still have them, but last used them in 2002 when I hung 'em up for good at age 53.
My knees were not working the way I needed them to, one hip would require surgery for an implant, and my eyes had cataracts and were approaching a need for a double cornea transplant. The eye issues were not hockey related, but my vision was the major reason I quit. A goalie that can't see is a danger to himself and a cancer to his team (which could also be a danger to himself, LOL)!.
I had to give up baseball/softball at about 47. My inner ears stared to go and it was hard to judge really high flies in thr outfield or really high pop ups to the infield. Looking up too high for too long was like reverse vertigo. Let that be a lesson to all you young whipper snappers. Eventually your body starts to betray you so take care of it while you are young. I did manage to rebound a bit and finished second in 2022 at the dads’ fastest shot competition at my youngest son’s lacrosse fundraiser. I was fortunate though. The guy who played football at Kansas had no idea how to shoot or I’m sure he’d have killed the rest of us.

Reactions: Guadana

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I had to give up baseball/softball at about 47. My inner ears stared to go and it was hard to judge really high flies in thr outfield or really high pop ups to the infield. Looking up too high for too long was like reverse vertigo. Let that be a lesson to all you young whipper snappers. Eventually your body starts to betray you so take care of it while you are young. I did manage to rebound a bit and finished second in 2022 at the dads’ fastest shot competition at my youngest son’s lacrosse fundraiser. I was fortunate though. The guy who played football at Kansas had no idea how to shoot or I’m sure he’d have killed the rest of us.
"Eventually your body starts to betray you so take care of it while you are young."

Unfortunately nobody even considers it until they are too old and it happens to them. I guess the answer then is to enjoy every second of it while you can. I know if I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't change a thing.

mdhockey13

Feb 11, 2014
I have a few questions for Devils/Comets followers. I am a Utica resident and I’m looking to get back into following the team closely.

1. Which players are completely on the fence between making Devils or Comets, other than Foote?

2. Which newcomer is most likely to make a big impact in Utica this year?

3. Do you expect the Comets to make the playoffs after missing last year?

4. Will Utica see any veteran players from NJ get demoted to Utica to clear way for youth?

5. Are any of the 4 PTOs candidates to become Comets?

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I have a few questions for Devils/Comets followers. I am a Utica resident and I’m looking to get back into following the team closely.

1. Which players are completely on the fence between making Devils or Comets, other than Foote?

2. Which newcomer is most likely to make a big impact in Utica this year?

3. Do you expect the Comets to make the playoffs after missing last year?

4. Will Utica see any veteran players from NJ get demoted to Utica to clear way for youth?

5. Are any of the 4 PTOs candidates to become Comets?
1. None. The Devils roster is set.
Luke Hughes will miss the beginning of the season which may earn Hatakka a short stint.

D-men Misyul and Vilen may be good enough soon, but the Devils have no room for them. Their D is locked in.

2. Seamus Casey, a NJ 2nd round selection in the 2022 draft, is a dynamic offensive D-man with a good defensive game. He comes with a very impressive resume from Michigan Univ. and USA International play. If he impresses here the same way, he should quickly become a fan favorite. I'm high on this kid.

Mikael Diotte is another rookie D-man with high promise. He was not drafted, but signed to an ELC by NJ after completing his season with Drummondville of the QMJHL. He has high marks with the Devils and they have drafted well with D-men so he looks to be a good find.

Up front Dylan Wendt is newcomer from NCAA Western Michigan Univ. His 44 points in 38 games last seasonpeaked NJ's interest and earned him a NJ ELC.

Jack Malone comes to the Comets from NCAA national championship runner up Boston College and was signed 2 a 2yr 1-way AHL contract.

Based upon the Comets lack of scoring last season the hope is these 2 may make a dent in that issue.

2a. Our top goal scorer was Clarke with 25. He was traded in the off season 1 for 1 for Adam Beckman. A goal scoring 23 yr-old with the Iowa Wild. He is expected to replace Clarke's goals and maybe more.

Mike Hardman, 25, was acquired as a free agent. He is a .5 PPG AHL player and can play all 3 forward positions.

Josh Filmon, 20, a 2022 NJ draft selection will join the Comets in the 1st year of his NJ ELC. He currently has an injury and is week to week which should mean he will be ready in October.

Willman should be here all season and his numbers will go up. He had 12 goals in his 33 GP. If he's here all season, that should be somewhere around 25 or more.

Brian Halonen is another player who spent a lot of time in NJ last season, but not playing. He has all the markings of being a high goal scorer. He had 20 in in only 35 games with the Comets. At that pace he would score 40. That would make him the highest Comet scorer since NJ took over the franchise.

Ryan Schmelzer, captain, was the team's leading point getter. His 34 assists were the team best with Xavier Parent right behind him with 30. These 2 guys are play makers that can also score. If they have linemates who can hit the net (which was a frequent problem), more goals should follow.

They have to hope that 1st rounder, Chase Stillman, becomes a complete player in this his 2nd pro season and builds upon his weak 14 goal total last season.

A healthy Joe Gambardella should also produce dividends.

There are a total of 20 forwards with contracts, 12 of which are with NJ. They won't all be Comets. A few will be headed down to ECHL Adirondack.

The D-corps looks to be very good, but probably short 1 guy with Luke Hughes being out of the Devils lineup for the first bit of the season. The 2 guys vying for that slot are Santeri Hatakka (LD) and Nick DeSimone (RD). Nick was with the Devils last season and very rarely played. Both will have to clear waivers to get assigned here. Before the off season Luke issue, it appeared both would be here. Combined with Diotte, Casey, Misyul, Vilen, Hatakka, and DeSimone along with veteran Colton White, this would be a very strong bunch.

The goal will be handled by 2 proven top notch keepers in Nico Daws and Isaac Poulter.

3. The info above points to the Comets having a better shot at the playoffs than last year's team which was in the thick of it until the last 2 games.

4. There are no youthful players in Utica challenging to push a veteran out of NJ's lineup.

There D is locked in with Hamilton, Pesce, and Nemec on the right and Siegenthaler, Hughes, and Dillon on the left.
Pesce and Dillon were acquired to exactly fill those slots. They also signed veteran Jonathan Kovacevic as depth. If they were to keep an 8th D, which I think is unlikely, it wouild be DeSimone for the right side.

Up front the Devils signed Tomas Tatar, Stefan Noesen, and Paul Cotter. When/If they get Dawson Mercer signed, they will have 12 guys in the gameday lineup. Kurtis MacDermid, Nathan Bastian, Nolan Foote are left over. MacDermid can be depth at either LW or LD. PTO Kevin Labanc, who has not played a minute of AHL hockey since the 2017-18 season, is also still on hand.

It all depends upon how NJ posts their final roster. They can carry 23 counting 2 goalies.

If they go with 13 forwards and 8 D, MacDermid could be that 8th D and one of Foote or Bastian will be waived. The only other option is to waive MacDermid. Go with 7 D and keep both Foote and Bastian. To put it simply, NJ has a bunch of options and Luke and Dawson are screwing up their plans.

5. They could sign any of their 4 PTOs and waive them for assignment to the AHL. The Comets currently have 4 Vets in their lineup meaning they have room for 1 more plus 1 Veteran Exempt. I would pray to the Heavens that they save it for a center that some other franchise releases.

- Michael Hutchinson, 34 (G) - The Devils have no need to sign this guy as there is no place for him anywhere in the system.

- Andy Welinski, 31 (RD) - A journeyman D-man with 319 GP combined with 46 NHL GP and 18n in Czechia.

- Jakub Zboril, 27 (LD) - An AHL D-man (228 GP) with 76 games of NHL experience.

- Kevin Lebanc, 28 (RW/LW) - He was never an effective NHL scorer nor has he been an effective defensive forward. IMO if you sign a veteran player for the AHL he either has to be solid defensively or a high scoring forward. Kevin does not possess either of these qualities.

I believe the Devils have inked these guys to help fill their roster for the 3 NHL preseason games they have to play while the actual team is in Prague. I don't think they intend to sign any one of them and try to get them through waivers to play in Utica.

My3Sons

Sponsor
1. None. The Devils roster is set.
Luke Hughes will miss the beginning of the season which may earn Hatakka a short stint.

D-men Misyul and Vilen may be good enough soon, but the Devils have no room for them. Their D is locked in.

2. Seamus Casey, a NJ 2nd round selection in the 2022 draft, is a dynamic offensive D-man with a good defensive game. He comes with a very impressive resume from Michigan Univ. and USA International play. If he impresses here the same way, he should quickly become a fan favorite. I'm high on this kid.

Mikael Diotte is another rookie D-man with high promise. He was not drafted, but signed to an ELC by NJ after completing his season with Drummondville of the QMJHL. He has high marks with the Devils and they have drafted well with D-men so he looks to be a good find.

Up front Dylan Wendt is newcomer from NCAA Western Michigan Univ. His 44 points in 38 games last seasonpeaked NJ's interest and earned him a NJ ELC.

Jack Malone comes to the Comets from NCAA national championship runner up Boston College and was signed 2 a 2yr 1-way AHL contract.

Based upon the Comets lack of scoring last season the hope is these 2 may make a dent in that issue.

2a. Our top goal scorer was Clarke with 25. He was traded in the off season 1 for 1 for Adam Beckman. A goal scoring 23 yr-old with the Iowa Wild. He is expected to replace Clarke's goals and maybe more.

Mike Hardman, 25, was acquired as a free agent. He is a .5 PPG AHL player and can play all 3 forward positions.

Josh Filmon, 20, a 2022 NJ draft selection will join the Comets in the 1st year of his NJ ELC. He currently has an injury and is week to week which should mean he will be ready in October.

Willman should be here all season and his numbers will go up. He had 12 goals in his 33 GP. If he's here all season, that should be somewhere around 25 or more.

Brian Halonen is another player who spent a lot of time in NJ last season, but not playing. He has all the markings of being a high goal scorer. He had 20 in in only 35 games with the Comets. At that pace he would score 40. That would make him the highest Comet scorer since NJ took over the franchise.

Ryan Schmelzer, captain, was the team's leading point getter. His 34 assists were the team best with Xavier Parent right behind him with 30. These 2 guys are play makers that can also score. If they have linemates who can hit the net (which was a frequent problem), more goals should follow.

They have to hope that 1st rounder, Chase Stillman, becomes a complete player in this his 2nd pro season and builds upon his weak 14 goal total last season.

A healthy Joe Gambardella should also produce dividends.

There are a total of 20 forwards with contracts, 12 of which are with NJ. They won't all be Comets. A few will be headed down to ECHL Adirondack.

The D-corps looks to be very good, but probably short 1 guy with Luke Hughes being out of the Devils lineup for the first bit of the season. The 2 guys vying for that slot are Santeri Hatakka (LD) and Nick DeSimone (RD). Nick was with the Devils last season and very rarely played. Both will have to clear waivers to get assigned here. Before the off season Luke issue, it appeared both would be here. Combined with Diotte, Casey, Misyul, Vilen, Hatakka, and DeSimone along with veteran Colton White, this would be a very strong bunch.

The goal will be handled by 2 proven top notch keepers in Nico Daws and Isaac Poulter.

3. The info above points to the Comets having a better shot at the playoffs than last year's team which was in the thick of it until the last 2 games.

4. There are no youthful players in Utica challenging to push a veteran out of NJ's lineup.

There D is locked in with Hamilton, Pesce, and Nemec on the right and Siegenthaler, Hughes, and Dillon on the left.
Pesce and Dillon were acquired to exactly fill those slots. They also signed veteran Jonathan Kovacevic as depth. If they were to keep an 8th D, which I think is unlikely, it wouild be DeSimone for the right side.

Up front the Devils signed Tomas Tatar, Stefan Noesen, and Paul Cotter. When/If they get Dawson Mercer signed, they will have 12 guys in the gameday lineup. Kurtis MacDermid, Nathan Bastian, Nolan Foote are left over. MacDermid can be depth at either LW or LD. PTO Kevin Labanc, who has not played a minute of AHL hockey since the 2017-18 season, is also still on hand.

It all depends upon how NJ posts their final roster. They can carry 23 counting 2 goalies.

If they go with 13 forwards and 8 D, MacDermid could be that 8th D and one of Foote or Bastian will be waived. The only other option is to waive MacDermid. Go with 7 D and keep both Foote and Bastian. To put it simply, NJ has a bunch of options and Luke and Dawson are screwing up their plans.

5. They could sign any of their 4 PTOs and waive them for assignment to the AHL. The Comets currently have 4 Vets in their lineup meaning they have room for 1 more plus 1 Veteran Exempt. I would pray to the Heavens that they save it for a center that some other franchise releases.

- Michael Hutchinson, 34 (G) - The Devils have no need to sign this guy as there is no place for him anywhere in the system.

- Andy Welinski, 31 (RD) - A journeyman D-man with 319 GP combined with 46 NHL GP and 18n in Czechia.

- Jakub Zboril, 27 (LD) - An AHL D-man (228 GP) with 76 games of NHL experience.

- Kevin Lebanc, 28 (RW/LW) - He was never an effective NHL scorer nor has he been an effective defensive forward. IMO if you sign a veteran player for the AHL he either has to be solid defensively or a high scoring forward. Kevin does not possess either of these qualities.

I believe the Devils have inked these guys to help fill their roster for the 3 NHL preseason games they have to play while the actual team is in Prague. I don't think they intend to sign any one of them and try to get them through waivers to play in Utica.
that was a great write up. The forward group for Utica does not sound quite as dire as I expected based upon your posts recently. They need some younger/new players to step up but they have some potential for that at least. Stillman scored well in the Buffalo prospect tournament so hopefully he picks it up from last season. His development would make a big difference. As you've noted that defense and the goalies look really good. The tricky part may be integrating Diotte and Casey who are both rookies. Vilen is their age but at least has a year of experience. Misyul can hopefully stay healthy.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
that was a great write up. The forward group for Utica does not sound quite as dire as I expected based upon your posts recently. They need some younger/new players to step up but they have some potential for that at least. Stillman scored well in the Buffalo prospect tournament so hopefully he picks it up from last season. His development would make a big difference. As you've noted that defense and the goalies look really good. The tricky part may be integrating Diotte and Casey who are both rookies. Vilen is their age but at least has a year of experience. Misyul can hopefully stay healthy.
Luke AND Pesce throws a big wrench into things on both ends. Hopefully this all gets worked out over the next 4 weeks or a liitle more. Comets open on 10/10.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Luke AND Pesce throws a big wrench into things on both ends. Hopefully this all gets worked out over the next 4 weeks or a liitle more. Comets open on 10/10.
I guess the season opening defense in NJ is going to Siegenthaler, Dillon and Hatakka on the left and Hamilton, Nemec, and Kovacevic on the right? Luke and Pesce will fill the two extra defense roster spots. That still probably sends DeSimone down since they likely keep one extra forward.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I guess the season opening defense in NJ is going to Siegenthaler, Dillon and Hatakka on the left and Hamilton, Nemec, and Kovacevic on the right? Luke and Pesce will fill the two extra defense roster spots. That still probably sends DeSimone down since they likely keep one extra forward.
I think Casey is the only one capable of outplaying Hatakka/Kovacevic in camp and getting some trial NHL games but I think that’s highly unlikely. If anyone else steps up, that’ll be a good problem to have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad