2024-25 Utica Comets and ECHL thread

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
They look like players that should be in Adirondack and not Utica. More bargain basement signings from MacKinnon who along with Fitzgerald has mostly ignored the Comets since free agency opened a month ago tomorrow.
Nothing more need be said. Typical type of signings MacKinnon has done since the Devils put their AHL franchise in Utica. 2 more ECHL players stashed away for desperate times in Utica who will offer little in the way of replacing the guys who are out.

Incidentally, eliteprospects lists O'Neil as a RW.

10 AHL GP in 3 seasons and 9 AHL GP in 3 seasons are not the kind of stats for any player the Comets need at any point in time.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Nothing more need be said. Typical type of signings MacKinnon has done since the Devils put their AHL franchise in Utica. 2 more ECHL players stashed away for desperate times in Utica who will offer little in the way of replacing the guys who are out.

Incidentally, eliteprospects lists O'Neil as a RW.

10 AHL GP in 3 seasons and 9 AHL GP in 3 seasons are not the kind of stats for any player the Comets need at any point in time.

That is typical of most AHL contracts. Those players are generally signed for depth and for the ECHL team; receiving callups when the guys on NHL two-way contracts get recalled to the Devils or if there are injuries.

This is not something specific to the Devils. It is the way most NHL clubs operate.

Speaking of the ECHL, any news on goalie Vinnie Purpura's recovery and his whereabouts for the coming year?

Nice 15-4-4 mark before his season-ending injury.

That is typical of most AHL contracts. Those players are generally signed for depth and for the ECHL team; receiving callups when the guys on NHL two-way contracts get recalled to the Devils or if there are injuries.

This is not something specific to the Devils. It is the way most NHL clubs operate.

Speaking of the ECHL, any news on goalie Vinnie Purpura's recovery and his whereabouts for the coming year?

Should have looked first. Looks like he's headed to Reading.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

Should have looked first. Looks like he's headed to Reading.

Your comment on the AHL contracts is generally true.
However, the Comets have had a handful of regulars on AHL 1-way contracts every year. This year is no different. These guys are rarely sent to the ECHL. This season is no different. Joe Gambardella, Xavier Parent, Will MacKinnon are signed to 1-way AHL contracts.

Gambardella has been a middle 6 forward for 3 seasons and will likely be there again this season.

Xavier Parent played 71 of Utica's 72 games last season. He will most likely be a roster Comet again this season.

I won't be shocked to see 2-way AHL contract Jack Malone on the roster either.

Filip Engaras became a game day Center for the Comets last season as well and played 53 games.

As of this moment the Comets have 6 D-men marked for Utica. If DeSimone is waived to be assigned to Utica that would make 7. MacKinnon would be #8. He was top 6 for the 2nd half of last season and played 29 games. At the moment he is #7- #8. No Desimone #7. No Hatakka either, #6. Hatakk and De Simone are subject to waivers and if claimed Utica would be left with 6D counting MacKinnon. They need a veteran AHL level D-man on the roster and MacKinnon either becomes a depth D-man in Utica or goes to the Thunder to play until needed.

Jeremy Brodeur has been signed to a 1-way AHL contract as well, but will not beat out Daws or Poulter for 1 of the 2 Goalie slots. He had a very strong season for the Thunder last season, but Poulter played most of the Games In the Thunder's march to the ECHL Kelly Cup semifinals.

What my post was referring to are the number of worthless signings MacKinnon makes every season for "depth" and desperation time call-ups when the Comets are in dire need for specific players for their -his roster, namely centers. Very, very few of his AHL signings after his Comet re-ups have done nothing for the Comets in his 3 and now 4th season as Comets GM. Apparently he is not allowed to sign players above the ECHL level or those the Comets have been playing and need to get re-signed. As you have no doubt read my posts for now the 4th season, the Comets have been given crap in the way of centers beyond Dowling ('23-24/'24-25) and Captain Schmelzer ('21-22 - '23-24), who has been the team's bright spot on an AHL contract for the past 3 seasons. He has been noticed and rewarded for his efforts with a 2-yr NHL 2-way deal. Other than those 2 the centers have been below AHL standards or at best low scoring poor playmaking bottom #3/#4.

Last edited:

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Wasn't able to stick with the Blackhawks but was a point per game player for Rockford. Wonder if Rem Pitlick is worth a two-way contract for the Comets.

Reactions: Bad Goalie

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Wasn't able to stick with the Blackhawks but was a point per game player for Rockford. Wonder if Rem Pitlick is worth a two-way contract for the Comets.
I've kept an eye on him since free agency began. His AHL numbers are excellent and he is a center

Chase DeLeo is also still unsigned. He would also be a great pickup. He is first a LW, but is also a very good center. He proved such with the Comets in 2021-22

He and Chase Deleo are both still unsigned.

The Comets would already have 5 players characterized by the AHL as vets if DeSimone is waived and gets sent to Utica. Only 5 can play on any given night. A veteran exempt can play with the 5 vets and Pitlick meets that description.

DeLeo would be a veteran by AHL rules. Already with 5 he would be 6 and is probably out of the picture.

Dowling, Gambardella, Schmelzer, and White WILL be in Utica and are all veterans. DeSimone is a key piece as far as veterans are cocerned. If Fitz has a plan to send DeSimone down, he's fine with Pitlick signed. All 6 can play.

I don't see Deleo in Utica, but Pitlick would be a great move especially this late in the preseason. If they were lucky enough to somehow snag Deleo and Pitlick and DeSimone were sent down, I'd use Gambardella as depth until a player was injured or recalled. White could also be jockeyed in and out.

Want my actual opinion? As sad as it is neither DeLeo nor Pitlick are even being considered.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Given he's a Boston native and BC guy am a bit surprised that the Devils haven't extended former first-round pick Colin White a two-way contract - unless he is still holding out hope for a better offer (either in the NHL or overseas).

No points in 28 NHL games last year but was an assistant captain for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton before being traded to Montreal.

And think of the fun the referees and PA announcers would have with a Colin and a Colton White on the team?

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
I've kept an eye on him since free agency began. His AHL numbers are excellent and he is a center

Chase DeLeo is also still unsigned. He would also be a great pickup. He is first a LW, but is also a very good center. He proved such with the Comets in 2021-22

The Comets would already have 5 players characterized by the AHL as vets if DeSimone is waived and gets sent to Utica. Only 5 can play on any given night. A veteran exempt can play with the 5 vets and Pitlick meets that description.

DeLeo would be a veteran by AHL rules. Already with 5 he would be 6 and is probably out of the picture.

Dowling, Gambardella, Schmelzer, and White WILL be in Utica and are all veterans. DeSimone is a key piece as far as veterans are cocerned. If Fitz has a plan to send DeSimone down, he's fine with Pitlick signed. All 6 can play.

I don't see Deleo in Utica, but Pitlick would be a great move especially this late in the preseason. If they were lucky enough to somehow snag Deleo and Pitlick and DeSimone were sent down, I'd use Gambardella as depth until a player was injured or recalled. White could also be jockeyed in and out.

Want my actual opinion? As sad as it is neither DeLeo nor Pitlick are even being considered.

Fan of DeLeo from his time here (and you can't have too many Italians :wg:) but think with his injuries he's probably past his prime. Haven't seen enough of Pitlick one way or the other.

Not sure where White fits in terms of AHL veteran rules.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
@Bad Goalie since you've seen the Comets more than most, what's your take on Will MacKinnon?

Obviously, being the GM's son doesn't hurt but numbers-wise it seems like he's held his own when in the lineup.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Given he's a Boston native and BC guy am a bit surprised that the Devils haven't extended former first-round pick Colin White a two-way contract - unless he is still holding out hope for a better offer (either in the NHL or overseas).

No points in 28 NHL games last year but was an assistant captain for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton before being traded to Montreal.

And think of the fun the referees and PA announcers would have with a Colin and a Colton White on the team?
usually that's the sort of reclamation project a team will take on so you figure his agent is trying to land a one way deal before having to settle for a two way deal.

Reactions: Jersey Fan 12

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

Colin White has played a total of 22 games in the AHL in the last 6 seasons. I don't think he will be in the AHL, though I could be wrong.

If the Devils were to reach out, he would, like DeLeo, also put the Comets in the too many vets situation if DeSimone comes down.

Pitlick as a vet exempt doesn't rock the boat either way.

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
@Bad Goalie since you've seen the Comets more than most, what's your take on Will MacKinnon?

Obviously, being the GM's son doesn't hurt but numbers-wise it seems like he's held his own when in the lineup.
MacKinnon is a decent fill in, but he is not a regular AHL D-man. Could possibly stick as a depth D-man if they don't come up with anyone better.

Right now with who they have signed he is #7. With DeSimone on the roster he would be #8. The way Dineen hates to carry guys he isn't going to play and MacKinnon the only Comet D-man on an AHL contract, he'd probably be sent to Adirondack.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Given the Devils lack of center depth, Pitlick feels like a useful pick-up.

He's got 132 NHL games under his belt, could safely get through waivers, is VE status, and can play top line in the AHL. Seems like a huge win.

Just looking at stats - his biggest challenge seems to be lack of size. But, at 5' 11" / 185 lbs, he's not tiny.

Even a PTO for this guy would be useful.

Do we have anyone this recommendation to Fitz / Mackinnon?

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
MacKinnon is a decent fill in, but he is not a regular AHL D-man. Could possibly stick as a depth D-man if they don't come up with anyone better.

Right now with who they have signed he is #7. With DeSimone on the roster he would be #8. The way Dineen hates to carry guys he isn't going to play and MacKinnon the only Comet D-man on an AHL contract, he'd probably be sent to Adirondack.
I agree with your comments about MacKinnon. While not a regular on a good AHL team he showed that he can be a dependable injury replacement call up. I was actually pleasantly surprised after thinking that MacKinnon was nothing more than a nepotism signing he showed that he could hold his own out there.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I agree with your comments about MacKinnon. While not a regular on a good AHL team he showed that he can be a dependable injury replacement call up. I was actually pleasantly surprised after thinking that MacKinnon was nothing more than a nepotism signing he showed that he could hold his own out there.
Agree, but my fear is with his AHL 1-way (I know 1-way only means he gets paid the same at either level) Dineen has his marching orders to make sure he gets plenty of ice time. However, with the left side defenders in house, I don't see how unless injuries and call-ups creates the reason he should have been signed. Until then it should be either Adirondack or behind the glass in the well with the backup for the night .

Reactions: Guadana

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006

White to Sharks. So much for that idea.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
White to Sharks. So much for that idea.
You'll not I placed little likelihood in his being signed by either NJ or Utica. I am a little surprised that he didn't get a little better offer, but sunshine and warm weather in a Division where most of his opponents are in the same west coast climate zone probably influenced his decision just a little.

Dreamer

Feb 10, 2019

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
You'll not I placed little likelihood in his being signed by either NJ or Utica. I am a little surprised that he didn't get a little better offer, but sunshine and warm weather in a Division where most of his opponents are in the same west coast climate zone probably influenced his decision just a little.

I'm sure the Mike Grier-Hockey East thing didn't hurt.

A lot more excitement in the Sharks organization than with the Devils these days.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Just noticed that former Cornell forward Alex Young was re-signed by Adirondack. Will he be in Utica's camp as well?

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Just noticed that former Cornell forward Alex Young was re-signed by Adirondack. Will he be in Utica's camp as well?
Alex Young comes to Adirondack via Colgate University 2021-2023 (3 seasons) and 1 last year at Arizona State University. There was no Cornell in his hockey history. He played 7 games with Adirondack at the end of last season, 2/4/6/7GP.

As to his attending Utica's camp, a large number of Thunder attend Utica's camp because an equally large number of Comets attend NJ's camp. Most have little chance of making either of those perspective rosters.

He is a C/W so that might make him more valuable in putting 4 centers on the ice. Last season the Comets played their 2 preseason games with a heavy Thunder roster of whom most were cut the second jersey sent down the Comets.

I actually have no idea if Young will start out here. Maybe so they get a look. He had really good numbers in his 2nd and 3rd seasons at Colgate - 70Pts/79GP, but his numbers at Arizona State were not good at all - 9Pts/37GP. Az. St. numbers say he looks to be Thunder material unless he suddenly sparkles.

The Comets have 17 forwards already signed to either AHL or NHL contracts. He would become the 18th if he were to even get an AHL contract. He'll first have to get by Malone and Ghantous,
already in a big battle just to make the roster in Utica. Dineen won't carry 17 forwards having to seat 5/game. I would guess 15 at the start or very soon after. Who knows what NJ will do yet that could figure into the mix.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad