2024-25 Utica Comets and ECHL thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Alex Young comes to Adirondack via Colgate University 2021-2023 (3 seasons) and 1 last year at Arizona State University. There was no Cornell in his hockey history. He played 7 games with Adirondack at the end of last season, 2/4/6/7GP.

As to his attending Utica's camp, a large number of Thunder attend Utica's camp because an equally large number of Comets attend NJ's camp. Most have little chance of making either of those perspective rosters.

He is a C/W so that might make him more valuable in putting 4 centers on the ice. Last season the Comets played their 2 preseason games with a heavy Thunder roster of whom most were cut the second jersey sent down the Comets.

I actually have no idea if Young will start out here. Maybe so they get a look. He had really good numbers in his 2nd and 3rd seasons at Colgate - 70Pts/79GP, but his numbers at Arizona State were not good at all - 9Pts/37GP. Az. St. numbers say he looks to be Thunder material unless he suddenly sparkles.

The Comets have 17 forwards already signed to either AHL or NHL contracts. He would become the 18th if he were to even get an AHL contract. He'll first have to get by Malone and Ghantous,
already in a big battle just to make the roster in Utica. Dineen won't carry 17 forwards having to seat 5/game. I would guess 15 at the start or very soon after. Who knows what NJ will do yet that could figure into the mix.

Have been using those two schools by mistake interchangeably for like 25 years. Probably because they're travel partners. Yes, it was Colgate not Cornell.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
NJ Devils training camp opens tomorrow. We'll get a chance to see how many definite and possible Comets will attend the camp. NJ will be Prague bound before the last 3 scheduled NHL preseason games will be played. That means there will have to be enough players to constitute an NHL roster for those games. It will be Comets, Comets hopefuls, PTOs the Devils have already signed, and possibly a player or two the Devils decide to leave home. I would hope Jersey management would not leave any player with a serious shot to be a Devil behind to play in preseason games while the rest of the team is enjoying a trip to Europe.

Josh Filmon missed the Rookie camp and will also miss the Devils preseason camp due to an injury that I have not seen Identified.

We also know that Luke Hughes is injured and will not be available to the Devils for a reported 4 to 6 weeks.

Simon Nemec was injured during the world tournament and it has not been reported as to whether or not he will be healthy for camp.

We'll have to follow things closely to see how things play out.

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
NJ Devils training camp opens tomorrow. We'll get a chance to see how many definite and possible Comets will attend the camp. NJ will be Prague bound before the last 3 scheduled NHL preseason games will be played. That means there will have to be enough players to constitute an NHL roster for those games. It will be Comets, Comets hopefuls, PTOs the Devils have already signed, and possibly a player or two the Devils decide to leave home. I would hope Jersey management would not leave any player with a serious shot to be a Devil behind to play in preseason games while the rest of the team is enjoying a trip to Europe.

Josh Filmon missed the Rookie camp and will also miss the Devils preseason camp due to an injury that I have not seen Identified.

We also know that Luke Hughes is injured and will not be available to the Devils for a reported 4 to 6 weeks.

Simon Nemec was injured during the world tournament and it has not been reported as to whether or not he will be healthy for camp.

We'll have to follow things closely to see how things play out.
If thr injuries keep mounting up they may need you to play. I’m sure you still have those horsehair filled leg pads somewhere. Just get a moto tool and buff that rust off the fasteners on the straps.

Reactions: Guadana

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
My last pair were Heatons. Aquired from Boston Bruins keeper Blaine Lacher in '94-95 or 95-96. I can't remember exactly as it was through a third party. He didn't like them. Stuffed with a combination of deer hair and a special foam. The outside was synthetic-like leather that absorbed little water. The only water absorption was on the inside of the pad coming from my sweat.

I loved those pads. Still have them, but last used them in 2002 when I hung 'em up for good at age 53.
My knees were not working the way I needed them to, one hip would require surgery for an implant, and my eyes had cataracts and were approaching a need for a double cornea transplant. The eye issues were not hockey related, but my vision was the major reason I quit. A goalie that can't see is a danger to himself and a cancer to his team (which could also be a danger to himself, LOL)!.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
My last pair were Heatons. Aquired from Boston Bruins keeper Blaine Lacher in '94-95 or 95-96. I can't remember exactly as it was through a third party. He didn't like them. Stuffed with a combination of deer hair and a special foam. The outside was synthetic-like leather that absorbed little water. The only water absorption was on the inside of the pad coming from my sweat.

I loved those pads. Still have them, but last used them in 2002 when I hung 'em up for good at age 53.
My knees were not working the way I needed them to, one hip would require surgery for an implant, and my eyes had cataracts and were approaching a need for a double cornea transplant. The eye issues were not hockey related, but my vision was the major reason I quit. A goalie that can't see is a danger to himself and a cancer to his team (which could also be a danger to himself, LOL)!.
I had to give up baseball/softball at about 47. My inner ears stared to go and it was hard to judge really high flies in thr outfield or really high pop ups to the infield. Looking up too high for too long was like reverse vertigo. Let that be a lesson to all you young whipper snappers. Eventually your body starts to betray you so take care of it while you are young. I did manage to rebound a bit and finished second in 2022 at the dads’ fastest shot competition at my youngest son’s lacrosse fundraiser. I was fortunate though. The guy who played football at Kansas had no idea how to shoot or I’m sure he’d have killed the rest of us.

Reactions: Guadana

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I had to give up baseball/softball at about 47. My inner ears stared to go and it was hard to judge really high flies in thr outfield or really high pop ups to the infield. Looking up too high for too long was like reverse vertigo. Let that be a lesson to all you young whipper snappers. Eventually your body starts to betray you so take care of it while you are young. I did manage to rebound a bit and finished second in 2022 at the dads’ fastest shot competition at my youngest son’s lacrosse fundraiser. I was fortunate though. The guy who played football at Kansas had no idea how to shoot or I’m sure he’d have killed the rest of us.
"Eventually your body starts to betray you so take care of it while you are young."

Unfortunately nobody even considers it until they are too old and it happens to them. I guess the answer then is to enjoy every second of it while you can. I know if I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't change a thing.

mdhockey13

Feb 11, 2014
I have a few questions for Devils/Comets followers. I am a Utica resident and I’m looking to get back into following the team closely.

1. Which players are completely on the fence between making Devils or Comets, other than Foote?

2. Which newcomer is most likely to make a big impact in Utica this year?

3. Do you expect the Comets to make the playoffs after missing last year?

4. Will Utica see any veteran players from NJ get demoted to Utica to clear way for youth?

5. Are any of the 4 PTOs candidates to become Comets?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad