2024-25 Utica Comets and ECHL thread

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Emotionally preparing myself for Xavier Parent to sign somewhere else.

And I assume it will be him dumping us.
:mad: I would not be surprised, but that doesn't mean I won't be angry. 8 wings already committed to contracts. That's 4 lines. There is plenty of room for Xavier. The Devils/Comets always drag their feet before addressing the Farm. The good UFAs sign before the Devils even start searching. Utica just signed barely AHL capable Filip Engaras to another contract. He makes center #4.

Dowling
Schmelzer
Bowers
Engaras

That would be one of the league's weakest top 4 centers. Bowers is better on the wing since he does not work to set up his mates.
Engaras is actually a good ECHL center as he showed in the playoffs with Adirondack.
Schmelzer is excelling way above his pay grade.
Dowling is a good #2, but battles the minor injury bug all season long and often ends up on the wing as a result.
I heasitate to repeat myself, but the Comets still have not received a #1 center since the Devils brought their AHL franchise here 3 seasons ago. Don't even feel like hoping it will change for season 4. They don't have any centers in their prospects to play here this season and actually no real good draft picks ready to come into the AHL. The best they have to offer are Stillman, Filmon, Dylan Wendt, and a project they hope will finally find his complete game with a new franchise, Adam Beckman.

X was the team's 3rd leading point producer for the Comets last season. He was second in assists with only Schmelzer ahead of him. He's been seen and he won't have trouble getting a contract. It's time for MacKinnon to get his head out of his ass and get some talent in here instead of being all happy happy like every other season when he signs a bunch of guys that will give the Comets camp enough players to practicv e and play the preseason contests before being shipped to ECHL Adirondack for the season. in Adirondack

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Right on Cue! Mackinnon announces 2 signings.

Jackson van de Leest (23), 6'7"/235, LD. Starting his 1st full pro season. He played 6 games for Utica and showed his #1 deficit is skating. He is a plodder. He accounted for 1 Assist. He played 14 games for ECHL Adirondack and rung up 2 assists. Nothing to see here.

Andre Ghantous (25), 5'9"/174, RW. Startin g his 1st full pro season. Last year he signed an ECHL contract late in the 23-24 season after finishing his 5th season with NCAA Northern Michigan. He signed 2 PTOs with Utica and recorded 1G/1A/3GP. He played 10 games with Adirondack and put up 13Pts/10GP and added 8Pts/14 playoff games. This kid has promise and showed it last season, but Dineen chose not to run with him when the Comets were chasing a pipe dream, the AHL playoffs. Instead he was relegated mostly to the Thunder.

Both have signed 1-yr, 2-way AHL contracts meaning they likely play for Adirondack unless needed due to injury or call-up.

That's exactly the way Dineen handled Xavier Parent his 1st season and he responded with 51 PTs/50GP. He recorded 6Pts/14GP for the Comets at the end of their season. He proved he belonged during camp last season and played 71 of the Comets 72 games and finished as their 3rd highest scorer and 2nd in assists.

Dineen doesn't play any player not sent to him by NJ until that player puts some Devil acquisitions to shame. Until Schmelzer caught fire at the end of the season and became the Comets best all around player coupled with a late goal scoring surge by Clarke, Parent led the team in points. As previously stated he finished 3rd in points and 2nd in assists as an AHL rookie. Clarke finished 1st in goals and Schmelzer 1st in points and assists.
Parent is still unsigned. He should have been the first offered an AHL deal unless we are waiting for NJ to give him one of their NHL 2-ways that go to a few signees for the farm.

Would like to what Ghantous can do with the Comets and join Parent in his second season.

Last edited:

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Right on Cue! Mackinnon announces 2 signings.

Jackson van de Leest (23), 6'7"/235, LD. Starting his 1st full pro season. He played 6 games for Utica and showed his #1 deficit is skating. He is a plodder. He accounted for 1 Assist. He played 14 games for ECHL Adirondack and rung up 2 assists. Nothing to see here.

Andre Ghantous (25), 5'9"/174, RW. Startin g his 1st full pro season. Last year he signed an ECHL contract late in the 23-24 season after finishing his 5th season with NCAA Northern Michigan. He signed 2 PTOs with Utica and recorded 1G/1A/3GP. He played 10 games with Adirondack and put up 13Pts/10GP and added 8Pts/14 playoff games. This kid has promise and showed it last season, but Dineen chose not to run with him when the Comets were chasing a pipe dream, the AHL playoffs. Instead he was relegated mostly to the Thunder.

Both have signed 1-yr, 2-way AHL contracts meaning they likely play for Adirondack unless needed due to injury or call-up.

That's exactly the way Dineen handled Xavier Parent his 1st season and he responded with 51 PTs/50GP. He recorded 6Pts/14GP for the Comets at the end of their season. He proved he belonged during camp last season and played 71 of the Comets 72 games and finished as their 3rd highest scorer and 2nd in assists.

Dineen doesn't play any player not sent to him by NJ until that player puts some Devil acqusitions to shame. Until Schmelzer caught fire at the end of the season and became the Comets best all around player coupled with a late goal scoring surge by Clarke, Parent led the team in points. As previously stated he finished 3rd in points and 2nd in assists as an AHL rookie. Clarke finished 1st in goals and Schmelzer 1st in points and assists.
Clarke is still unsigned. He shpould have been the first offered an AHL deal unless we are waiting for NJ to give him one of their NHL 2-ways that go to a few singnees for the farm.

Would like to what Ghantous can do with the Comets and join Parent in his second season.
Clarke was traded to the Minnesota Wild a week or so ago...

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Clarke was traded to the Minnesota Wild a week or so ago...
That was a brain fart. Obviously that was Parent I was talking about in that line.

Clarke WAS traded and it was a foregone conclusion to any hockey mind in Utica that it had to be. Clarke was the most 1- dimensional player I have ever watched or played with. He could score goals, but only if nobody got in his way. Other than that he sucked in every other aspect of hockey.

Hopefully Adam Beckman will be a better piece for the Comets. We won't know until things have been going into January. It is obvious if you do some research on these t 2 that this trade was an exchange of 2 players that have similar flaws. he feeling is that hopefully the change of franchises wakes them the f**k up and they realize they have to play a complete game if they hope to get any farther.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Any of our AHL followers have an idea when the schedule gets released?

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
After the big W with the Savannah Ghost Pirates (great city, great name, great logo), the ECHL has added two new teams.

Savannah was the 28th ECHL team then and started as the Vegas’ affiliate. (ARI, CAR, CBJ and STL had no ECHL team.)

The Newfoundland Growlers, Toronto’s affiliate, abruptly folded at the end of last season.

ECHL affiliate musical chairs
Cincinnati Cyclones
NYR > TOR

Savanah Ghost Pirates
VGK > FLA

After their Kelly Cup Threepete:
Florida Everblades
FLA > ?

So two new teams brings the ECHL up to 29 teams.

And all this was mostly an excuse to bag on this misfire.

The what now?
IMG_8430.jpeg

STATELINE, Nev. – The ECHL’s newest team, the Tahoe Knight Monsters, revealed its name and logo at a special event held at the Tahoe Blue Event Center on Thursday.

The team’s colors are teal, gold and black. The Knight Monsters team name and logo is portrayed by a dragon-like creature that resides and rules Lake Tahoe. The inspiration of the name and logo originated from local input and nominations from over 1000 fans. The area has a long-standing folklore of a creature called “Tahoe Tessie,” a fictional creature that resides in Lake Tahoe. These logos also incorporate the amazing Lake Tahoe and the mountains that border it to pay homage to the area and its world-renowned natural beauty.

The Knight Monster is unique and iconic, blending the mystique and honor of a Knight with the ferocity of a lake monster creating a distinct visual identity for the team. This Knight Monster is majestic and fierce with a towering presence. The Knight Monster is a protector and fights for those who can’t fight for themselves.

“The Knight Monster is unique and iconic, blending the mystique and honor of a Knight with the ferocity of a lake monster creating a distinct visual identity for the team.”

Is it blending though? Is that describing what is happening with the name “Knight Monsters”?

The “Knight” part, is just… woof.
I guess this is Vegas’ new affiliate, but ECHL teams get passed around so much that it risky to tie the name to a NHL franchise.

The “Monster” part, awkward
From this article: “The area has a long-standing folklore of a creature called “Tahoe Tessie,” a fictional creature that resides in Lake Tahoe.”

From the Cleveland Monsters (AHL) Wikipedia:
“The franchise was officially announced on January 25, 2007, as the Lake Erie Monsters, referring to Bessie, a creature of local folklore.”

So not original. Knight Terrors was right there fellas.

The other new team is the new Rangers affiliate:
IMG_8431.jpeg

It’s an animal with a top hat, I had no beef with it to begin with, but I was won over when I learned he’s supposed to look like Abraham Lincoln.

The team’s name and logo pay homage to the rich history of the Bloomington-Normal community. The branding incorporates elements inspired by former President Lincoln and the iconic Route 66, decommissioned in 1985.
link

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
In other Utica Comets news The players lost from the 2023-24 team are as follows:

April 21
Ryan Fitzgerald (C/LW) - Retired

May 3
Erik Kallgren (G) - NHL UFA signed with Brynas IF (SHL)

May 14
Nolan Stevens (C) - AHL UFA signed with Sodertalje (SK)

June 21
Graeme Clarke (RW) - Traded to Minnesota Wild

June 30
Akira Schmid (G) - Traded to Vegas Golden Knights

July 1
Tyler Wotherspoon (LD) - NHL UFA signed with AHL Laval Rocket

July 8
Kyle Criscuolo (C/RW) - NHL UFA signed with Charlotte Checkers

July 11
Robbie Russo (RD) - AHL UFA signed with Tuscon Roadrunners

Michael Vukojevic remains a UFA. He was not qualified by the Devils.

RFAs Hatakka and Beckman are yet to be signed.

Xavier Parent is the lone Comet from last season that is unheard from and losing him would be criminal when looking at the current roster.

Comets needing a contract in the AHL were not real go to guys and yet they are already signed. Finding a quality AHL center at this stage of the game is now left to released NHL UFAs/RFAs who were 2-way and probably in the AHL with poor NHL numbers and mediocre to poor AHL stats. The other chance is guys getting released from NHL camps much later or lured out of Europe.

Last edited:

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Where is Utica at as far as veterans? It seems as though the Devils re-signings and acquisitions for Utica to date have all been targeting experienced players who are not yet at the veteran minimum.

For the depth chart below, I believe the veterans are Dowling, Schmelzer, Gambardella, White, and DeSimone. By my count, Hatakka, Hardman, Willman, and Bowers all come in just shy of veteran status. Willman would be a VE if ECHL games count.

Willman - Dowling - Halonen
Hardman - Schmelzer - Bowers
Beckman - Parent - Stillman
Gambardella - Laberge - Ibragimov
Filmon - Wendt - Engaras - Malone - Ghantous

White - DeSimone/Hatakka
Vilen - Casey
Misyul - Diotte
van de Leest

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Where is Utica at as far as veterans? It seems as though the Devils re-signings and acquisitions for Utica to date have all been targeting experienced players who are not yet at the veteran minimum.

For the depth chart below, I believe the veterans are Dowling, Schmelzer, Gambardella, White, and DeSimone. By my count, Hatakka, Hardman, Willman, and Bowers all come in just shy of veteran status. Willman would be a VE if ECHL games count.

Willman - Dowling - Halonen
Hardman - Schmelzer - Bowers
Beckman - Parent - Stillman
Gambardella - Laberge - Ibragimov
Filmon - Wendt - Engaras - Malone - Ghantous

White - DeSimone/Hatakka
Vilen - Casey
Misyul - Diotte
van de Leest

You are correct on your Vets.
ECHL games played do not count so Willman is safe.

DeSimone could stay in NJ and that would give the Comets another Vet slot to fill. They also don't have a player who counts as a Veteran Exempt. There could be a much needed center available in that classification.

Bowers will be that center where you have slotted Parent. X does not play center. He is a true LW, but was often used at RW and it wasn't a good fit. He plays his best and produces more from the left side. The problem here is X signed a 2-yr AHL deal for the 22-23 and 23-24 seasons. I have seen no evidence of a 24-25 contract unless I have totally missed something. eliteprospects still leaves his 24-25 assignment blank. This will be a huge mistake if they let him go elsewhere.

Last edited:

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Doesn't look like the Toronto Marlies are re-signing Long Island native Robert Mastrosimone. Would seem to fit the Devils' prerequisites for a Utica/Adirondack free agent.

Dreamer

Feb 10, 2019
:mad: I would not be surprised, but that doesn't mean I won't be angry. 8 wings already committed to contracts. That's 4 lines. There is plenty of room for Xavier. The Devils/Comets always drag their feet before addressing the Farm. The good UFAs sign before the Devils even start searching. Utica just signed barely AHL capable Filip Engaras to another contract. He makes center #4.

Dowling
Schmelzer
Bowers
Engaras

That would be one of the league's weakest top 4 centers. Bowers is better on the wing since he does not work to set up his mates.
Engaras is actually a good ECHL center as he showed in the playoffs with Adirondack.
Schmelzer is excelling way above his pay grade.
Dowling is a good #2, but battles the minor injury bug all season long and often ends up on the wing as a result.
I heasitate to repeat myself, but the Comets still have not received a #1 center since the Devils brought their AHL franchise here 3 seasons ago. Don't even feel like hoping it will change for season 4. They don't have any centers in their prospects to play here this season and actually no real good draft picks ready to come into the AHL. The best they have to offer are Stillman, Filmon, Dylan Wendt, and a project they hope will finally find his complete game with a new franchise, Adam Beckman.

X was the team's 3rd leading point producer for the Comets last season. He was second in assists with only Schmelzer ahead of him. He's been seen and he won't have trouble getting a contract. It's time for MacKinnon to get his head out of his ass and get some talent in here instead of being all happy happy like every other season when he signs a bunch of guys that will give the Comets camp enough players to practicv e and play the preseason contests before being shipped to ECHL Adirondack for the season. in Adirondack
x was third in scoring but was also (-11) which was third worst on the team. I think the league figured him out quickly. The first half of the year he had 27 points and the last half he had 18. He had 3 PP goals but to be honest he was a liability on the PP along with Wotherspoon and Russon. Once Nemec was called up the PP was terrible. Being only 5 ft 8 and 170 does not help you in the AHL or any league. I am sure he is a good person and he plays hard but he is a tweener at best between the ECHL and AHL. If he were that wanted why hasnt anyone else grabbed him yet ?

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
x was third in scoring but was also (-11) which was third worst on the team. I think the league figured him out quickly. The first half of the year he had 27 points and the last half he had 18. He had 3 PP goals but to be honest he was a liability on the PP along with Wotherspoon and Russon. Once Nemec was called up the PP was terrible. Being only 5 ft 8 and 170 does not help you in the AHL or any league. I am sure he is a good person and he plays hard but he is a tweener at best between the ECHL and AHL. If he were that wanted why hasnt anyone else grabbed him yet ?
I bet even at his size he’d have killed it in my college rec league

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

His numbers went down because he was moved to his off RW because no one else could play there and make something happen. He was also jockeyed around with different linemates game in and game out because Dineen was desperately trying to find someone who could make impotent forwards find the net. On the PP his job was finding the shooter's stick, Clarke. X became a setup man for guys who couldn't hit the net if they were inside it. With that weak 18 assi8st 2nd half he stilled finished with 30 assists 2nd only to 1st place Schamlezer's 34. Where were the points from the rest of this rattrap.

Dineen is not a good coach. Wotherspoon or Russo on the PP as the shooter from up top was absolutely asinine. 4 goals for each of them and Wotherspoon's came early on and Nemec may have still been here. Russo's were late in the season when there was nothing left in house.

To put it bluntly, the Comets were not a good hockey team and the only reason they were in a playoff fight was their Division was very weak. Some claimed, "So balanced. Every team in this Division can beat every other team in this Division and did such all season long." That was some. The rest had a different opinion. "The Division was balanced with a bunch of lousy teams."

The upcoming season is one to be very wary of because not much has changed. The D should be good which was the preseason thought last season.
Nemec got called up, 13 GP.
Misyul got hurt and only played 44 games.
Hatakka was hurt and called up resulting in 48 GP.
Vukojevic was hurt and scratched often when not and played 49 Games.
Foote got called up and we know the rest of that story, 24GP.
Will MacKinnon became an every night regular for most of the 2nd half playing 40 games.
Nobodies you've heard of played games, Colin Felix 23 GP, Austin Osmanski was acquired in a trade and played a whole 3 games and proved hwe asn't even worth future considerations, Jackson van de Lest played 6 games all the while showing he couldn't skate at the AHL level.
The D-corps became a patched together squad night after night.

The center issue reamained the same.

The acquisition of Dowling was supposed to be an improvement. Well, he was better than any one before him, but he was injured on several occasions with minor ass aches and also spent time in NJ accounting for his toatl of 57 GP. Of the 57 the last bunch was spent on the LW because he injured his shoulder and couldn't take a faceoff, shoot the pck beyond a sweep shot, or pass the puck with any speed or force. He was a #2 at best and his amount of time played healthy was limitted.

Bowers was injured for a big psart of the season and sp[ent some time in NJ. He played atotal 43 games and notched a whopping 14 points 10 of which were goals. He did nothing a center is called upon to do besides score goals like every other forward. Centers are there to create offense by setting up their mates #1 set up his mates. 4 assists in 43 GP says he wasn't much of a center.

Kyle Criscuolo might have done the best job in the middle simply by staying healthy. The RW lwas a serious weakness all sseason, but it got worse as time went on and LWs Parent, Gambardella, Durandeau, Laberge, Ibragimov, Fitzgeraldand were playing RW and many nights at least 2 of them. The Comets traded Durandeau to Laval for RW Nathan Legare. This helped withnthe RW but didn't solve it. With Legare, Calrke, and Stillmanin the lineup Criscuolo still ended up playing the RW when Bowers returned from NJ. Kyle played the last few games of the season there on what was the Comets most dangerous line with mainly Parent on the left side, but 2 times Dowling, and once Halonen. Schmelzer was their cneter. It was best or 2nd best line on most nights as the Comets tried to gain the fianl playoff spot.
Criscuolo finished the season at #4 in points, 42, 3 behind Parent, #4 in goals with16, and also played 63 of the Comets 72 games. He was the best overall verstile player on the team and he wasn't re-signed. I assumed that was because he was a veteran and the Devils were lokking for someone better to fill that veteran center slot. So far that's not the case.
We'll see him again this season when the Comets play the Charlotte Checkers.

Turns out the best center on the team was AHL journeyman Ryan Schmelzer, team Captain and supposed #3/4 Center. As ocurred in the 22-23 season he worked his way up to #2 center. He may be the hardest working Comet. He scores goals because he drives the net and is always fighting for reboundsHe is a pass first center, digs the corners hard, back checks every shift, plays a hard 2-way game, never gives up on a play at either end, and is an example for everyone on the team for how to play the game. In spite of how hard he palyes, he was the only Comet to play all 72 games with Parent right on his heels with 71.

Filip Engaras is an ECHL center who was to be used as an emergency callup. He played 53 games for the Comets at #4 and accounted for 12 points 6G/6A. He holds his own, but would clearly be an extra on an AHL roster.

Nolan Stevens was signed late inthe year to help with the decimated center position and played 25 games notching8 points, 26/6A.

As I look at the forwards the difference is:
Adam Beckman (LW/C) was added in a trade for Graeme Clarke (RW). That's a 1 for 1 deal. Clarke gone and replaced. No eefct onthe numbers.

Jack Malone (RW), who signed an ATO at the end of his NCAA season was also signed to a 2-yr AHL standard contract. Nolan Stevens has left for Europe. A 1 for 1, no change in numbers.

Mike Hardman (LW/RW) was signed to a NJ 2-yr/2-way contract. Kyle Criscuolo has left for AHL Charlotte. 1 for 1, no change in numbers.

Adam Ghantous (RW) signed a 1yr/2-way AHL contract. Ryan Fitzgerald was on a simialr cotract.
1 for 1 no change in numbers

Dylan Wendt (RW), who was signed to an end of the year tryout with the Comets, was also signed at the same time to a NJ 2-yr/2-way ELC contract. He adds 1 to the numbers

That's :
2 RWs
1 LW/RW
1 RW/C

Add these forwards to:
Justin Dowling (C)
Ryan Schmelzer (C)
Shane Bowers (C)
Filip Engaras (C)

Max Willman (LW)
Joe Gambardella (LW)
Brian Halonen (LW)
Sam Laberge (LW)
Josh Filmon (LW)

Nathan LeGare (RW)
Dylan Wendt (RW)
Chase Stillman (RW)

The way this checxks out in total is:
6 RW
6 LW
4 C

1 of the LWs also plays RW
1 of the RWs also plays C

The D looks good based upon what appears, but NJ will detemine the fate of 2 key members of the potential Comets D. So who is actually here is the big question nand even with them the D is shot personnel.

I'm not jmping for joy at the middle. The center situation has not been dealt with at all.

The Forwards are just shffling bodies 1 for 1 and hopeully they are better than what they replaced.
Until they prove differently this is a mediocre group of forwards with a couple of proven good ones.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
His numbers went down because he was moved to his off RW because no one else could play there and make something happen. He was also jockeyed around with different linemates game in and game out because Dineen was desperately trying to find someone who could make impotent forwards find the net. On the PP his job was finding the shooter's stick, Clarke. X became a setup man for guys who couldn't hit the net if they were inside it. With that weak 18 assi8st 2nd half he stilled finished with 30 assists 2nd only to 1st place Schamlezer's 34. Where were the points from the rest of this rattrap.

Dineen is not a good coach. Wotherspoon or Russo on the PP as the shooter from up top was absolutely asinine. 4 goals for each of them and Wotherspoon's came early on and Nemec may have still been here. Russo's were late in the season when there was nothing left in house.

To put it bluntly, the Comets were not a good hockey team and the only reason they were in a playoff fight was their Division was very weak. Some claimed, "So balanced. Every team in this Division can beat every other team in this Division and did such all season long." That was some. The rest had a different opinion. "The Division was balanced with a bunch of lousy teams."

The upcoming season is one to be very wary of because not much has changed. The D should be good which was the preseason thought last season.
Nemec got called up, 13 GP.
Misyul got hurt and only played 44 games.
Hatakka was hurt and called up resulting in 48 GP.
Vukojevic was hurt and scratched often when not and played 49 Games.
Foote got called up and we know the rest of that story, 24GP.
Will MacKinnon became an every night regular for most of the 2nd half playing 40 games.
Nobodies you've heard of played games, Colin Felix 23 GP, Austin Osmanski was acquired in a trade and played a whole 3 games and proved hwe asn't even worth future considerations, Jackson van de Lest played 6 games all the while showing he couldn't skate at the AHL level.
The D-corps became a patched together squad night after night.

The center issue reamained the same.

The acquisition of Dowling was supposed to be an improvement. Well, he was better than any one before him, but he was injured on several occasions with minor ass aches and also spent time in NJ accounting for his toatl of 57 GP. Of the 57 the last bunch was spent on the LW because he injured his shoulder and couldn't take a faceoff, shoot the pck beyond a sweep shot, or pass the puck with any speed or force. He was a #2 at best and his amount of time played healthy was limitted.

Bowers was injured for a big psart of the season and sp[ent some time in NJ. He played atotal 43 games and notched a whopping 14 points 10 of which were goals. He did nothing a center is called upon to do besides score goals like every other forward. Centers are there to create offense by setting up their mates #1 set up his mates. 4 assists in 43 GP says he wasn't much of a center.

Kyle Criscuolo might have done the best job in the middle simply by staying healthy. The RW lwas a serious weakness all sseason, but it got worse as time went on and LWs Parent, Gambardella, Durandeau, Laberge, Ibragimov, Fitzgeraldand were playing RW and many nights at least 2 of them. The Comets traded Durandeau to Laval for RW Nathan Legare. This helped withnthe RW but didn't solve it. With Legare, Calrke, and Stillmanin the lineup Criscuolo still ended up playing the RW when Bowers returned from NJ. Kyle played the last few games of the season there on what was the Comets most dangerous line with mainly Parent on the left side, but 2 times Dowling, and once Halonen. Schmelzer was their cneter. It was best or 2nd best line on most nights as the Comets tried to gain the fianl playoff spot.
Criscuolo finished the season at #4 in points, 42, 3 behind Parent, #4 in goals with16, and also played 63 of the Comets 72 games. He was the best overall verstile player on the team and he wasn't re-signed. I assumed that was because he was a veteran and the Devils were lokking for someone better to fill that veteran center slot. So far that's not the case.
We'll see him again this season when the Comets play the Charlotte Checkers.

Turns out the best center on the team was AHL journeyman Ryan Schmelzer, team Captain and supposed #3/4 Center. As ocurred in the 22-23 season he worked his way up to #2 center. He may be the hardest working Comet. He scores goals because he drives the net and is always fighting for reboundsHe is a pass first center, digs the corners hard, back checks every shift, plays a hard 2-way game, never gives up on a play at either end, and is an example for everyone on the team for how to play the game. In spite of how hard he palyes, he was the only Comet to play all 72 games with Parent right on his heels with 71.

Filip Engaras is an ECHL center who was to be used as an emergency callup. He played 53 games for the Comets at #4 and accounted for 12 points 6G/6A. He holds his own, but would clearly be an extra on an AHL roster.

Nolan Stevens was signed late inthe year to help with the decimated center position and played 25 games notching8 points, 26/6A.

As I look at the forwards the difference is:
Adam Beckman (LW/C) was added in a trade for Graeme Clarke (RW). That's a 1 for 1 deal. Clarke gone and replaced. No eefct onthe numbers.

Jack Malone (RW), who signed an ATO at the end of his NCAA season was also signed to a 2-yr AHL standard contract. Nolan Stevens has left for Europe. A 1 for 1, no change in numbers.

Mike Hardman (LW/RW) was signed to a NJ 2-yr/2-way contract. Kyle Criscuolo has left for AHL Charlotte. 1 for 1, no change in numbers.

Adam Ghantous (RW) signed a 1yr/2-way AHL contract. Ryan Fitzgerald was on a simialr cotract.
1 for 1 no change in numbers

Dylan Wendt (RW), who was signed to an end of the year tryout with the Comets, was also signed at the same time to a NJ 2-yr/2-way ELC contract. He adds 1 to the numbers

That's :
2 RWs
1 LW/RW
1 RW/C

Add these forwards to:
Justin Dowling (C)
Ryan Schmelzer (C)
Shane Bowers (C)
Filip Engaras (C)

Max Willman (LW)
Joe Gambardella (LW)
Brian Halonen (LW)
Sam Laberge (LW)
Josh Filmon (LW)

Nathan LeGare (RW)
Dylan Wendt (RW)
Chase Stillman (RW)

The way this checxks out in total is:
6 RW
6 LW
4 C

1 of the LWs also plays RW
1 of the RWs also plays C

The D looks good based upon what appears, but NJ will detemine the fate of 2 key members of the potential Comets D. So who is actually here is the big question nand even with them the D is shot personnel.

I'm not jmping for joy at the middle. The center situation has not been dealt with at all.

The Forwards are just shffling bodies 1 for 1 and hopeully they are better than what they replaced.
Until they prove differently this is a mediocre group of forwards with a couple of proven good ones.
I think you’re correct in all of this.

I think this season is dependent the young guys:
- Casey, Misyul, and Villen (assuming Hatakka sticks with NJ) on D
- Filmon and Stillman up front

Maybe add Wendt to the young forward group.

As you and @Guttersniped have discussed, the lack of a center could sink the season. They need someone who can transport the puck through the neutral zone / enter the offensive zone. The D can do some of the work for breakouts, but relying on them for zone entries seems unrealistic.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I think you’re correct in all of this.

I think this season is dependent the young guys:
- Casey, Misyul, and Villen (assuming Hatakka sticks with NJ) on D
- Filmon and Stillman up front

Maybe add Wendt to the young forward group.

As you and @Guttersniped have discussed, the lack of a center could sink the season. They need someone who can transport the puck through the neutral zone / enter the offensive zone. The D can do some of the work for breakouts, but relying on them for zone entries seems unrealistic.
Hatakka and DeSimone are up in the air. NJ does not have room for both of them. The Devils have 7 D-men going nowhere. If they keep 8, it will be between Hatakka and DeSimone. Kovacevic is D-man who shoots right. That would seem to write off DeSimone who is a D-man who shoots right. Unless the Devils keep 2 right shot D-men as #s 7 and 8. Hatakka would be the guy to logically keep since he shoots left. If the Devils worry about losing DeSimone off waivers, maybe they shouldn't have signed him to a new contract.

I'm guessing they try to slip them both through on the last day of NHL cuts to the final opening day roster.

In either case the Comets are short defensemen.
If NJ keeps 1 of DeSimone/Hatakka, that would give Utica a total of 6.
If they both come down, that's 7 with the 2 being the first callups again leaving Utica with 6 or in a worse case both get a call and Utica has 5.

It's too late to try and hunt up any kind of quality D-man at that point. Fitz has to get a couple more for the farm soon.

I shudder to think the only additions will be Jackson van de Leest (who proved last season he can't skate), Will MacKinnon (ECHL callup last season who played 40 games with the Comets since they had no choice, and ECHL Colin Felix (who played 20 games in Utica last season).
If these 3 comprise the remainder of the Comets D, the Comets are in big trouble defensively with any kind of loss of the top 5 since MacKinnon would already be playing if the Comets open with one of DeSimone/Hatakka in NJ.

Incidentally MacKinnon and Felix are both unsigned at the moment. Worse yet van de Leest has been signed to an AHL 2-way. S-H-U-D-D-E-R, S-H-I-V-E-R, S-H-A-K-E!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Hatakka and DeSimone are up in the air. NJ does not have room for both of them. The Devils have 7 D-men going nowhere. If they keep 8, it will be between Hatakka and DeSimone. Kovacevic is D-man who shoots right. That would seem to write off DeSimone who is a D-man who shoots right. Unless the Devils keep 2 right shot D-men as #s 7 and 8. Hatakka would be the guy to logically keep since he shoots left. If the Devils worry about losing DeSimone off waivers, maybe they shouldn't have signed him to a new contract.

I'm guessing they try to slip them both through on the last day of NHL cuts to the final opening day roster.

In either case the Comets are short defensemen.
If NJ keeps 1 of DeSimone/Hatakka, that would give Utica a total of 6.
If they both come down, that's 7 with the 2 being the first callups again leaving Utica with 6 or in a worse case both get a call and Utica has 5.

It's too late to try and hunt up any kind of quality D-man at that point. Fitz has to get a couple more for the farm soon.

I shudder to think the only additions will be Jackson van de Leest (who proved last season he can't skate), Will MacKinnon (ECHL callup last season who played 40 games with the Comets since they had no choice, and ECHL Colin Felix (who played 20 games in Utica last season).
If these 3 comprise the remainder of the Comets D, the Comets are in big trouble defensively with any kind of loss of the top 5 since MacKinnon would already be playing if the Comets open with one of DeSimone/Hatakka in NJ.

Incidentally MacKinnon and Felix are both unsigned at the moment. Worse yet van de Leest has been signed to an AHL 2-way. S-H-U-D-D-E-R, S-H-I-V-E-R, S-H-A-K-E!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I liked Felix in the very little I saw of him. Any possibility he can develop into an AHL player? I know he’s 25, so time is running somewhat short.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I liked Felix in the very little I saw of him. Any possibility he can develop into an AHL player? I know he’s 25, so time is running somewhat short.

I'm not confident of such, but if Fitz doesn't deliver s couple more I am sure we are going to find out.

In the regular season he recorded 5G/13A 18 Pts, 64 PIM, in 41GP. Their top D_man in points had 35 and Felix's 19 ranked #3.
In contrast Vilen played 16 games down there and recorded 10Pts.

In the Kelly Cup playoffs he recorded 2 assists, 58 PIM in 19 GP. No Thunder D-man recorded more than 3 points. Felix and 1 other D-man played all 19 games.

In Utica he recorded 2 assists in 23 GP with 47 PIM.

As far as the penalties he averages overall in both leagues 3 minutes of penalty time/game.

I simply gave you his '23-24 stats and that doesn't reveal a whole lot other than to say he does not produce much on the offensive side and he did not stand out defensively in any way in Utica.

Further evidence of Comets faith in him as the season progressed was they put van de Leest and
Osmanski in the lineup instead when they only had six D to slate in for the game instead of calling up Felix.

Like most ECHL players skating was not his forte.

Last edited:
Reactions: tailfins

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
What about the double overaged centers from the draft? Will they be added to Utica?

This team should be fine. Boring but fine. There is a log jam at goalie, and its strength is defenseman and 2-way forwards.

This may not be the most entertaining team, but I can see them battling for a wild card spot.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
What about the double overaged centers from the draft? Will they be added to Utica?

This team should be fine. Boring but fine. There is a log jam at goalie, and its strength is defenseman and 2-way forwards.

This may not be the most entertaining team, but I can see them battling for a wild card spot.
You have misconception about the goalie log jam. The Comets will have 2 good ones in Daws and Poulter. Based upon last season, Daws better be on top of his game or he could be passed up by Isaac.
Malek will be in Europe for 1 more season.
Brennan will be in Adirondack unless he has a miracle offseason.

As to the overaged centers maybe both will end up here.
- Graham wasn't even an effective center in Jrs. so he isn't impressive for what these forwards need.
- Melovsky could probably be a #3/4 in Utica along with other #3/4s already here.

THEY NEED A #1 C!!!!!
This quote should be on a loop. This is season #4 and they still haven't had one.
1 - ? #1
2 - Justin Dowling
3 - Ryan Schmelzer
4 - Bowers/Melovsky/Engaras
(I haven't listed Graham in this mix because I don't think he will be in contention for anything more than a backup slot or an Adirondack Thunder player where he can work on a professional demeanor.)

Without the #1 all of them move up a notch and the #4s on this list battle it out with one here and the other headed to a wing or Adirondack.
My guess?
- Engaras to Adirondack
- Bowers to #3
- Melovsky gets first shot at #4 only to be swapped with Engaras if he fails. 1 of these 2 could also be a roster backup and avoid the ECHL. Maybe evne platooned.

IF Schmelzer ends up #1 in points again I don't like the Comets playoff hopes. The other teams have been loading up on players that improve their rosters. At the moment Utica's forward group is the same with 2 replacements (Beckman and Hardman). This group was abysmal in the scoring department last season. If Beckman can match Clarkes's output that's a simple exchange of names with the same production. That means Hardman has to become a big time producer and his .53 PPG in the AHL doesn't promise that outcome.

- Clarke was #1 in scoring with 25 Goals. Can Beckman do that? He put up 24 in '22-23. Unsigned.
- Halonen could put up a bunch if he is here for more than 35 games (#2, 20 goals last season). Many have him penciled in on the Devils 4th line or at least 1st call-up.
- Schmelzer had the best season of his pro career scoring 18 (#3) while playing all 72 games.
- Criscuolo had 16 (#4) and he's gone.
- Parent had 15 (#5)and it looks like he isn't going to be back.
- Dowling had 14.
- Stillman also had 14. Tie for #6.
- Willman had 12 (#8), but spent more than half of the Comets 72 games in NJ. Only played 33 in Utica. If that number were to double maybe he gets 24.
- Bowers had 10 (#9) in 43 GP between call-ups and injuries. Who knows if he can double the 10 he scored.
The rest of the team combined (30 players playing between 1 and 69 games scored 9 or less for a total of 81 goals.
The Comets scored 221 goals, which was #16 in the league while giving up 226 which was #21 in the league. You can't go through a season in which your goal output is less than your goals surrendered and expect a positive outcome.

Boring? More like gut wrenching frustration. Win a couple lose a couple all season long. Not a lot of hope for a good finish. In the end it wasn't.
The home fires keep burning, but the sellout record is gone and in the past.
For the first time in many seasons between Vancouver and the Devils, the boo birds showed up. They were particularly present when PP after PP ended with nary a chance and were often out chanced. They finished with the #29 PP in the AHL.
They also let Schmid and Daws both know that wrist shots from the boards, the point, or the top of the circle with no one in the way are not supposed to go past them into the net while sitting on their knees and making no move as if mesmerized. That's not how goal tending works and even those who know nothing about goaltending, the majority of fans knew that much.

I am always hoping for good things to happen, but it's getting old waiting for something to change in the simplest part of team construction, CENTERS. The Devils seem to hurry to re-sign the Comets they just had since it will save them the hassle of having to search for players. That's maybe okay if they worked to fill in the missing pieces before they were all gone, but that hasn't seemed to be the case.

Look I understand how NHL franchises and their farm teams work. I have been a part of that process for 62 years. I have seen how good teams manage their farms. I have also seen how others just don't seem to care, particualrly when they have little in the way of prospects that they need to develop. In the 2nd case they simply put a team on the ice and just keep changing the cities their farms play in when there is little interst from fans to shell out good money to watch crap.

Booing those guys is ridiculous. It's not their fault they aren't good enough to compete. They are what the parent scraped up to have a place to put a couple prospects or have a spot to rehab injured guys or to send others a message.

It's frustrating to shell out close to a grand to watch guys who play their guts out but just don't have enough talent among them to make the poitives outweigh the negatives. It's especially frustrating when the parent seems to not give a damn. Comets team consrtuction was top shelf in NJ's 1st return season in Utica. They had top prospects that they wanted to give the best chance to develop, so surrounded them with high level AHL talent. End of the season injuries doomed that squad's playoff hopes. The following year the team still had a core of good players that just couldn't overcome the obvious lack of centers. Last season there was a dearth of prospects and the surrounding talent fell off the cliff again with no centers.

The current roster doesn't look a lot different other than the young talented D-core and a couple goalies who have a lot of promise going forward. The forward group is still very suspect and the lack of centers jumps off the page when looking at the rosters. I don't mean names with a C after them . I mean names that identify a couple guys. One proven to be top notch AHL center (a Veteran). Another young player who may on the cusp of going big or falling into the journeyman class. Either way these centers will help forwards do what they are supposed to do - SCORE GOALS.

The D looks capable of defending the fort, especially if NJ makes the best moves allowing for both themselves and the farm to have good D groups. The keepers at both levels seem more than capable of keeping their team in every game and are even capable of stealing games. Good teams need centers. NJ has 2 of the best with top notch wings to work with. Utica does not have a couple top AHL level centers. The forwards here are not so individually gifted that they can prosper without the missing good centers.

That's where we stand and my chest is a lot lighter. If it looks like there is too much here for you to bother with just skip it. I feel better and that's all I care about. There's a few weeks before the rookie camp and then the Devils preseason camp. Comets can come out of that mix. I'll keep my fingers crossed, but my continual negativism and arguing over the Comets roster is over until the Devils roster is set.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad