Speculation: 2024/25 Trade Rumours, Speculation etc Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
No they have not. Last year was about $3 million to start the season, I believe it was the year before too, but there were a lot of injuries that filled up that Cap space. And the Jets have used that Cap space to acquire players at the deadline in both of the last two contention years.

I try to be level headed...I have to admit that I was a little irate in the prospect rankings when Salomonsson was looking to be our #1 prospect, over both Lambert and Mc Groarty, and others, and that was based on some premonition that he was going to come into camp and take Pionk's roster spot.

Well after this TC, I'd say Pionk is firmly ahead of him, not in any danger., and it looks like Lundmark is more NHL ready, though Salomonsson still has the higher ceiling.
It seems Salomonsson is atleast a couple of years away. Will take him some time to get used to the NA game and ice. Hopefully he has a good transition year with the Moose. I think we're all really hopeful with him as our defensive prospect cupboard is pretty bare.

Now I want to go back and look how close we were to the cap with bonuses included the last few years. I haven't used puckpedia much yet, good time to start I guess.

Reactions: Buffdog

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
It seems Salomonsson is atleast a couple of years away. Will take him some time to get used to the NA game and ice. Hopefully he has a good transition year with the Moose. I think we're all really hopeful with him as our defensive prospect cupboard is pretty bare.

Now I want to go back and look how close we were to the cap with bonuses included the last few years. I haven't used puckpedia much yet, good time to start I guess.
Spotrac will give you a better idea, but it goes off the final numbers, so you have do some math.

Reactions: Mathil8

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Names is an excellent centre. His positioning in both ends is great, plays with heart, has skill enough to make plays and is a great teammate. The only issue is he doesn't win faceoffs. The problem then is coaches are reluctant to have his line out for dzone draws and hard to have him take any PK draws.
That would indicate that he is not an excellent center though

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
That's one of the strangest comparisons I've ever seen lol

It's one thing to identify a problem, but it's another altogether to chastise Chevy for not doing something when we have no idea what his options were. Maybe there was no upgrade available, or maybe there was but the price was prohibitive or he didn't want to come here
Strange is part of my carry-on baggage. :nod:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That would indicate that he is not an excellent center though

That's it? A centres job is to win the FOs?

I see it as a part of the job but not a dominant part.

I'm not putting him out there to take an important Dzone draw on the PK. I'm not putting him out to take an important Ozone draw on the PP either. But otherwise, he is a good C. If only he was better at FOs we wouldn't have to still be looking for a 2C. At least not one for this year.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
That's it? A centres job is to win the FOs?

I see it as a part of the job but not a dominant part.

I'm not putting him out there to take an important Dzone draw on the PK. I'm not putting him out to take an important Ozone draw on the PP either. But otherwise, he is a good C. If only he was better at FOs we wouldn't have to still be looking for a 2C. At least not one for this year.
Names is a good 4C... he is not an excellent center mostly for the reasons you just pointed out again.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Names is a good 4C... he is not an excellent center mostly for the reasons you just pointed out again.
But he's not. I think with the way the Jets are constructed the bottom 6 centres take more d-zone draws. So when he was demoted to the bottom 6, he became a winger, with Barron taking the C duties. This year Arniel seems keen on Kupari taking that role, to have a RH option on defensive zone draws, who can also be a faceoff option on the PK. So Namestnikov is a default 2c, where draws aren't the be all, end all (probably 90% o-zone, neutral zone draws), and a winger otherwise in the lineup.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Who ever said he was an excellent C? He is a good (but not excellent) 2C. He is good enough until we can find someone better. I don't mean another rental.

Monahan was excellent at FO but weak at pretty much everything else. I would rather have Names.

He's weak on FO. That's it. He's weak on FO on a 4th line too.

I think you are way over-weighting the importance of FO. Even in the case of those important ST FO, that is tied +/- 1 goal, he will win 1 in 3 times vs the good FO man who will win 1 in 2. That is 1 more FO won out of 6.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
This is a typical fan response to the team. Don't like Pionk. Not good enough. Replace him. Replace him with who? Who do you think is out there that is better, that doesn't have Winnipeg on their NTC? Lilljegren? Justin Barron? Drysdale?

You hear the coach talk about how Pionk wants to be a Jet, maybe we should pine for Trouba again, who kept trying to get out of being a Jet.

Iafallo was the Cap part of the Dubois trade, and the Jets probably knew he would fit into the dressing room/organization having played at UMD with Pionk, Toninato.

Hasn't been bad. Probably better than Matty Perreault as a 4th line player, if you are comparing salaries.

Who knows what the team looks like next season? Who knows where the injuries will come? Jets have good depth up front, as long as Scheif stays healthy. Defense we are about to find out. Glad Lundmark is getting a chance. He's a player I was hoping would become an NHLer, a 2nd round pick without any fanfare.
Yeah even though Pionk has been frustrating to watch the past couple of years there's still a lot to like about him. For me it's finding the right partner for him and I do think that can be Samberg. I don't think he's had a great camp yet but not worried about it

You don't like Kuz or Lundmark?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
this season, there's likely little to no opportunity to replace pionk with what we have. perhaps miller, but going from scratch to top-4 within a couple months i just cant see. last couple years, dillon-schmidt although sparingly used and mostly used in 22-23 performed pretty well together. i like samberg he's a v good 3rd pair dman, but struggled mightily in the POs last 2 years in a lesser role, against speedy high-fore check teams. paired with stanley doesn't help though. but now paired w/ mr chaos :dunno: i do think he should be fine in a top-4 role, but it's still a tbd

somehow expansion utah gets 3 x top-4 capable dman (one had a m-ntc) via trades, but it's like blasphemy to think pionk can be replaced. so many shit on helle or ehlers for their POs and rightfully so, we lost the season b/c of pionk's game 5 performance but this routinely gets glossed over. i hope folks keep the same energy with the same pionk excuses towards the rest of the team.

Reactions: Mathil8

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
this season, there's likely little to no opportunity to replace pionk with what we have. perhaps miller, but going from scratch to top-4 within a couple months i just cant see. last couple years, dillon-schmidt although sparingly used and mostly used in 22-23 performed pretty well together. i like samberg he's a v good 3rd pair dman, but struggled mightily in the POs last 2 years in a lesser role, against speedy high-fore check teams. paired with stanley doesn't help though. but now paired w/ mr chaos :dunno: i do think he should be fine in a top-4 role, but it's still a tbd

somehow expansion utah gets 3 x top-4 capable dman (one had a m-ntc) via trades, but it's like blasphemy to think pionk can be replaced. so many shit on helle or ehlers for their POs and rightfully so, we lost the season b/c of pionk's game 5 performance but this routinely gets glossed over. i hope folks keep the same energy with the same pionk excuses towards the rest of the team.
I think Pionk is definitely not immune from criticism. In fact I would say the whole offseason started with people trying to ride him out of town, because of a bad game. One good playoff game is all that Miller has to show that he is even close to Pionk's level. TC hasn't shown him to be that close.

You mention the trades Utah made. That was a team that had a lot of draft picks, from being consistenly bad. They spent 2 2nds on Marino, another 2nd on Durzi. I am not sure you can say Durzi is definitely a better d-man than Pionk. Maybe he's a different face, but we'll see as the season plays out. The Jets don't have 2 2nds to trade after using one on Toffoli, and I think that the fact the defense is somewhat depth poor has a lot to do with trading away draft picks. They've kept recent 2nds for the most part to get guys like Lundmark, Chibrikov, Salomonsson, and Frej. Which is a key part of the team's depth.

I was kind of struck by Arniel's comments about July 1st trying to get free agents to come to Winnipeg, and how hard it is. Chevy hasn't really used trades to change his team, other than being forced to. Or fine tuning for a playoff run. Whether that is a good strategy or not, hard to say.

Pionk to me is what the Winnipeg Jets are. Underdogs. He started after Buff left. And that's been the void ever since. Is he a good enough top 4 d-man? Maybe not. But he's here, and wants to be here, and liked by his teammates, and is certainly a part of Samberg's growth, as the guy who took him in, when he made it to the pros.

I think this season will be interesting for him. He either makes it or breaks it. If he doesn't get the job done, the development of Salomonsson becomes the top priority for the Jets, but I still think you lose offense in that exchange. So I would say Heinola's development becomes the other factor in Pionk's future.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think Pionk is definitely not immune from criticism. In fact I would say the whole offseason started with people trying to ride him out of town, because of a bad game. One good playoff game is all that Miller has to show that he is even close to Pionk's level. TC hasn't shown him to be that close.

You mention the trades Utah made. That was a team that had a lot of draft picks, from being consistenly bad. They spent 2 2nds on Marino, another 2nd on Durzi. I am not sure you can say Durzi is definitely a better d-man than Pionk. Maybe he's a different face, but we'll see as the season plays out. The Jets don't have 2 2nds to trade after using one on Toffoli, and I think that the fact the defense is somewhat depth poor has a lot to do with trading away draft picks. They've kept recent 2nds for the most part to get guys like Lundmark, Chibrikov, Salomonsson, and Frej. Which is a key part of the team's depth.

I was kind of struck by Arniel's comments about July 1st trying to get free agents to come to Winnipeg, and how hard it is. Chevy hasn't really used trades to change his team, other than being forced to. Or fine tuning for a playoff run. Whether that is a good strategy or not, hard to say.

Pionk to me is what the Winnipeg Jets are. Underdogs. He started after Buff left. And that's been the void ever since. Is he a good enough top 4 d-man? Maybe not. But he's here, and wants to be here, and liked by his teammates, and is certainly a part of Samberg's growth, as the guy who took him in, when he made it to the pros.

I think this season will be interesting for him. He either makes it or breaks it. If he doesn't get the job done, the development of Salomonsson becomes the top priority for the Jets, but I still think you lose offense in that exchange. So I would say Heinola's development becomes the other factor in Pionk's future.

For me I think he's just playing too far up the lineup. He's really only had one year here as a good second pairing dmen. Maybe if he's healthy this year he can get back there. If not I think he'd be better utilized similarly to Myers. Bottom pairing with pp and pk time.

The issue is we don't have anyone to play second pairing RD.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Who ever said he was an excellent C? He is a good (but not excellent) 2C. He is good enough until we can find someone better. I don't mean another rental.

Monahan was excellent at FO but weak at pretty much everything else. I would rather have Names.

He's weak on FO. That's it. He's weak on FO on a 4th line too.

I think you are way over-weighting the importance of FO. Even in the case of those important ST FO, that is tied +/- 1 goal, he will win 1 in 3 times vs the good FO man who will win 1 in 2. That is 1 more FO won out of 6.
I was responding to a post about names being an excellent center and then you kind of ran with it. So yes someone did say he was an excellent center.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
For me I think he's just playing too far up the lineup. He's really only had one year here as a good second pairing dmen. Maybe if he's healthy this year he can get back there. If not I think he'd be better utilized similarly to Myers. Bottom pairing with pp and pk time.

The issue is we don't have anyone to play second pairing RD.
I mean 2021 he played against Mc David/Draisaitl in the playoffs and won those matchups, so that wasn't a lost season. In fact he was playing well before Spezza kneed him in the head.

Before that he was playing on par with Morrissey, in most aspects of the game.

2021-22 was his worst year.

2022-23 inconsistent again, and at times struggled with Dillon.

2023-24 inconsistent, but still finished as a positive player in a 20 minute a night role. He and Dillon were the best pairing early in the Colorado series, if we are being honest.

He kind of reminds me of Tyler Myers for some reason. There was positives, there were negatives. Never consistent either way. But Myers had Buff to insulate him. Trouba to take care of the defensvie role behind Lowry's line. De Melo just plays a steady, quiet game, nothing extraordinary. And the Jets haven't had a lot of competition on defense because they haven't drafted a lot of RD, beyond the Kovacevic, Lundmark types, until Salomonsson.

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Yeah even though Pionk has been frustrating to watch the past couple of years there's still a lot to like about him. For me it's finding the right partner for him and I do think that can be Samberg. I don't think he's had a great camp yet but not worried about it

You don't like Kuz or Lundmark?
Lundmark has never impressed me much, but if he's able to go out there and play his steady low event game, that would be great. He hasn't shown he's capable of that at the NHL level yet though, and haven't seen much from his time in the AHL to think he'll have a good chance of doing so.

Kuzmin I like and I'm looking forward to him playing on the moose this year. I feel his game needs a lot of work though especially on the defensive side of things, he reminds me of an offensive type that makes poor giveaways at the wrong times ala Kichton or Gawanke. I think he still has a long ways to go before NHL time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad