GDT: 2024-25 season game 5 LA Kings vs Montreal Canadiens @4:00pm 10/17/24

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Los Angeles Kings(1-1-2, 4pts, 3rd in Pacific) vs Montreal Canadiens(2-2-0 4pts, 6th in Atlantic)
Bell Centre | Montreal, QC
TIME: 4:00pm PT | TV: Bally Sports West RADIO: ESPN LA App

Regular Season Stats
SglVOAL.png

*Lines subject to change*
**The website I use to get these doesn't have all of our players yet**

:kings

PtCZK3O.png

lpRAU6R.png

T5K90zQ.png

LSOwfst.png

Scratches: Akil Thomas, Joel Edmundson, Caleb Jones
Injuries: Arthur Kaliyev, Drew Doughty, Darcy Kuemper

:habs
wDs0JTq.png

sOu0m0Q.png

NkK89tf.png

Full credit to NHL HUT Builder and Database for EA Sports Hockey Ultimate Team for supplying the HUT Cards
Full Credit to NHL Starting Goalies, Lines, News, Fantasy Tools - Daily Faceoff for the opposing lines

R.I.P
Jfont
HF member 2002-2022

Legionnaire
HF Member 2002-2024​

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'm sure glad we benched Spence for that all-defense lineup, that surely showed him.

In fact I'm really glad Spence and Thomas were on the sidelines, they needed to learn real defense from realgud vets

I only hope we see Kopitar-Kempe-Lewis to continue promoting the good word, that good veteran leadership is more important than youthful exuberance, and so that Turcotte-Lee only get the 2-3 minutes when they double shift Lewis. Actually, maybe Byfield will be out, so they can just roll lewis at 3C as well. Actually, maybe they'll take out Lee, so they can double shift Foegele, as well

Really gotta continue to shore things up here. I mean the previous game they let in 8 goals, last night they only let in 5! Keep Spence outta there!

SaltyElkHunter

I …. am…. The LA Kings!
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
Here comes another beat down!

I follow the Moskva down to Gorky Park
Listening to the wind of change
An August summer night, soldiers passing by
Listening to the wind of change
(*Whistling*)

The world is closing in
And did you ever think
That we could be so close like brothers?
The future's in the air, I can feel it everywhere
Blowing with the wind of change

We get a cleaned house by Christmas as Blake and luc start getting pissy when they find out through the back channels AEG’s Beckerman is shopping for the best GM candidate money can buy. I would love to get Dean back for a f*** you to Alex and Blake for their deception.

Sean is awesome at the tear down and rebuild and thank Hod he’s too old to stick around to be around for the legacy stage.

Reactions: chris kontos

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
If we're being honest, it's basically just two bad games in a row. Obviously that's not great/ideal, but let's not overreact to poor showings in games 3 and 4 of an 82 game regular season - there's still a TON of hockey left. The Kings looked good/great all preseason, then played a solid game in Buffalo to start the year, then a solid, tight-checking game against a good Boston team. Fell apart in Ottawa in a weird/wild/sloppy game and then followed it up with a stinker in Toronto.

We know this team can be much much better - Hopefully they tighten things up today and start to find some consistency defensively. Are these early season growing pains? Or is this team really just not that good? I know many will jump to the latter, but I think we need to see a bigger sample size before we can really evaluate this group.

Someone pointed it out in the Ottawa game thread... Virtually every single one of the Kings forward lines is different from last year. And with the Doughty injury, every D pairing is different as well. Plus new starting goalie. Plus they're playing a slightly new system. Plus Byfield at center basically for the first time in the NHL. Plus the team's best defenseman injured long term. It would honestly be shocking if there weren't some growing pains / sloppy games here and there given that context.

I'm hoping we see some new line combos today - the Kings have a ton of really intriguing options with their forward group.. Just a matter of finding some chemistry.

I'd love to see Turcotte moved up the lineup for the entire game today, not just a couple shifts. He's earned it. I really like the idea of putting him with Danault and Moore but you could make an argument he'd be super helpful on any of the other top 3 forward lines.
Turcotte - Danault - Moore
Turcotte - Byfield - Fiala
Turcotte - Kopitar - Kempe

All 3 of those options would be super intriguing and would have really good potential. With Turcotte - Danault - Moore, you have a ton of speed, energy, and compete. You also have some scoring upside given those 3 are all decently skilled. I could also see him being really successful/effective playing with Byfield and Fiala - He has the speed & skill to keep up with those two and the compete/motor to bring the energy. Would also be interesting to see how he'd look with Kopi and Kempe, although I've liked Laferriere so I'd probably give Laf some more games in that slot.

Regardless, should be an interesting one. GKG boys

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
If we're being honest, it's basically just two bad games in a row. Obviously that's not great/ideal, but let's not overreact to poor showings in games 3 and 4 of an 82 game regular season - there's still a TON of hockey left. The Kings looked good/great all preseason, then played a solid game in Buffalo to start the year, then a solid, tight-checking game against a good Boston team. Fell apart in Ottawa in a weird/wild/sloppy game and then followed it up with a stinker in Toronto.
Nonsense. They were horrid vs Buffalo and only slightly better vs Boston. They are lucky to have any points so far.
There is much time for improvement and the schedule has not been in their favor in these first 5 games/Quebec preseason.
But there is no need to put lipstick on the pig like we all didnt watch some of the worst hockey since Willie D so far this season.

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
I want the team to crash and burn and be rid of BLuc by Christmas as much as anyone here but honestly, with the Habs and Ducks coming up on the docket, there’s a decent chance they get out of this road trip above NHL .500. People are underestimating just how bad they would have to be this season to trigger any changes from AEG as long as Kopi is still active. I still think this is at worst a high-80’s/low-90’s point team, which will be enough for Luc to point at the DD injury as an excuse and get them all extensions. I hope I am wrong.

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
Nonsense. They were horrid vs Buffalo and only slightly better vs Boston. They are lucky to have any points so far.
There is much time for improvement and the schedule has not been in their favor in these first 5 games/Quebec preseason.
But there is no need to put lipstick on the pig like we all didnt watch some of the worst hockey since Willie D so far this season.
Your assessment is a bit over-critical in my opinion but I'll admit mine may have been a tad too favorable. Maybe we can meet in the middle and just say the team hasn't been great so far but it's still early and this team still has a lot of potential and hopefully they figure it out.

SaltyElkHunter

I …. am…. The LA Kings!
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
Such a miserable fan lmao

4 games in and you're already "well here we go again we're going to get murdered tonight"

like is that fun for you??
No I have felt this way for 2 years I have no faith in the leadership of this group( on and off the ice). Kopitar is fine player and so is Dewey so was Brownie. They were not General material they were good soldiers.

I’m waiting for things to get better. I’ve been around since I was 10 years old (44) now. I live in a different state and am still a Kings fan. I am just not a fan of Robitaille (never have been oddly). Loved Blake as a player can’t stand him as a GM and executive.

I’m old enough to not let someone pee on my leg and tell me it’s raining. I’m also young enough to where I can be patient for a better situation in regards to management.

I don’t take it personal I stopped letting 20-30 year old dudes ruin my evenings along time ago. When I have had enough I just stop watching and comeback later.

I got into the Tikkanen league for fantasy because I knew this was gonna be a shit season for the Kings and I wanted to enjoy hockey this year.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
I want the team to crash and burn and be rid of BLuc by Christmas as much as anyone here but honestly, with the Habs and Ducks coming up on the docket, there’s a decent chance they get out of this road trip above NHL .500. People are underestimating just how bad they would have to be this season to trigger any changes from AEG as long as Kopi is still active. I still think this is at worst a high-80’s/low-90’s point team, which will be enough for Luc to point at the DD injury as an excuse and get them all extensions. I hope I am wrong.
Half expecting some kind of panic trade from Blake, because we're just a piece or two away & Blake needs an extension.

Your assessment is a bit over-critical in my opinion but I'll admit mine may have been a tad too favorable. Maybe we can meet in the middle and just say the team hasn't been great so far but it's still early and this team still has a lot of potential and hopefully they figure it out.
Offensive skill is average to below average.
Defense is below average.
Goalie is average at best.

Coaching is hilarious.
PK they tried to put 4 on the blue line. Luckily, the coach realized that was a dumb idea quickly & is now pressuring up ice.
PP entries, Kempe is one of the best in the league at this when at full speed. Haven't seen Kempe get the puck at full speed yet. This should be a strength, but Hiller has fixed that.

Just two examples of spots where coaching created problems that didn't need to exist. They will improve & execute better in the future. The team & coach are both below average so how much will improve?

With this roster Sutter hockey is about the only style that'll be successful.

Reactions: SaltyElkHunter

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
A win here would at least make the overall results in terms of points pretty decent. Still, huge concerns about their play so far.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
i don't think things are so bad. Maybe because i was expecting this season to be a middle tier 85 point type season. So starting off on the long road trip, early games, new coaching staff and not having Drew....Well, this is to be expected imo.

What annoys me and is typical of this franchise: Not playing Thomas, Lewis getting every game, playing Darcy that 3rd game in a row, etc.

Reactions: King'sPawn

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I give the game versus Buffalo a bit of a pass because Buffalo had already started their regular season and LA had their home opener.

Boston was their best game of the season where they played energized hockey.

I agree this is some ugly hockey, and I'm not in agreement with bland's assessment of the state of how the Kings are playing, but there are some valid points that it's still a couple bad games early in the season.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
The grade-A scoring chances were 20-6 in favor of Buffalo. 20-6! Buffalo had close to 2/3 of the shot attempts in the game, and clearly generated excessively more quality chances than the Kings. I get that you’re entitled to your opinion and all that, but I feel confident saying that was not a solid game.

Reactions: johnjm22

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Here comes another beat down!
Such a miserable fan lmao

4 games in and you're already "well here we go again we're going to get murdered tonight"

like is that fun for you??
LOL Did you happen to miss the GIGANTIC hint in his username?

Our Elk Hunting friend is always Salty and that and his amazing BBQ are part of his flair and charm.

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego
The grade-A scoring chances were 20-6 in favor of Buffalo. 20-6! Buffalo had close to 2/3 of the shot attempts in the game, and clearly generated excessively more quality chances than the Kings. I get that you’re entitled to your opinion and all that, but I feel confident saying that was not a solid game.
But the Kings did what they generally fail to do...and that is to convert their chances. How often have you seen this team play with quality chances, and they fail to convert. With the current roster, I'd much rather see them win games like they did against Buffalo and be written off ass lucky. This cast playing "right" and losing....no thanks.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
But the Kings did what they generally fail to do...and that is to convert their chances. How often have you seen this team play with quality chances, and they fail to convert. With the current roster, I'd much rather see them win games like they did against Buffalo and be written off ass lucky. This cast playing "right" and losing....no thanks.
I don’t follow at all. They had 6 grade-A chances all game. That’s a minuscule number for an NHL game these days. They were thoroughly dominated by Buffalo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad