Speculation: 2024-25 Roster thread

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I think Terry’s line is benefitting to an extent from matchups. If so, the effect should be even more obvious at home.

At this point I have to assume Leo/Cutter/Killorn look amazing in practice because otherwise I’m not sure how they’ve been gifted first line status. That said, it was Mac’s line that had the most ice time by a decent margin last night.

Terry and McGinn had the least ice time and they were arguably our best forwards.

I believe the Mac line had an overinflated TOI due to being stuck on ice for what seemed like two minutes in the 2nd period, iirc. If we look at ES TOI, the fourth line played 4th line minutes, but their overall TOI ballooned due to us killing four penalties. Fabbri had over 3 minutes on the PK to lead the forwards with 18:02 total TOI. Terry actually played with Mac and Z b/c Fabbri was tired out from the PK'ing.

Our top-6, it's disappointing. The top line of Cutter-Leo-Killorn line has been kept together all pre-season and Leo-Killorn have been together last season. Still no chemistry. Fabbri-Mac-Z line was put together for one pre-season game. Z went from C to LW to RW in pre-season. Individually, they are putting in the work and therein lies the problem. They're still not cohesive and may need more games to feel each other out.

I just don't like our offense. During the game, I found myself zoning out again like last season. The only excitement we got from this game are from defensive counters, which also explains how our PK unit was able to notch 12 shorties last season.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Since the GDT thread closed, guess this is the place to share the stat card for the game.

1728928101931.png

The Mac line is yeesh in this metric!

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Cutter - Leo - Terry
Vatrano - McTavish - Zegras
Fabbri - Strome - Killer
4th line

Put the two garbage free agent signings on the 3rd line where they belong. Strome should not be centering any line that is expected to score regularly. If they insist on spreading the offensive talent around, then he needs to go to wing.

Cutter - Leo - Killer
Fabbri - McTavish - Terry
Vatrano - Zegras - Strome
4th line

I want to see the first lineup personally.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I really hope Verbeek pulls trades very early into the season and not kill the team at the deadline.

If we could get the following trade returns (maybe add picks on our side to get it done), I think we would have a more complete lineup:

Gibson for COL Colton, Geogiev - Ross would give us a faceoff ace, is a good physical complementary player that is still pretty young. and won a cup which PV likes.
Fowler (50% retained) for NASH Surin - We don't really have forwards that have Surin's edge. We might need to take a bad contract back from Nash.
Vaakanainen, Reimer for Liljegren, Myers - We would add 2 RHDs with different profiles which would allow Z and TL to be called up only when they are ready which is more ideal.

Vatrano - Mac - Strome (Why not keep last years top line together?)
Zegras - Colton - Terry
Gauthier - Carlsson - Killorn
(Fabri has a better pace for than Killorn, but we are still with him in the top 9)
Fabri- Leason - Lundy
Bench: Johnston, McGinn
Callup: Gauthier, Nesterenko, Regenda

Lacombe - Liljegren
Minty - Gudas
Dumoulin - Myers
Callup Rotation: LHD Zellweger, RHD Luneau

Dostal
Georgiev

Last edited:

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I really hope Verbeek pulls trades very early into the season and not kill the team at the deadline.

If we could get the following trade returns (maybe add picks on our side to get it done), I think we would have a more complete lineup:

Gibson for COL Colton, Geogiev - Ross would give us a faceoff ace, is a good physical complementary player that is still pretty young. and won a cup which PV likes.
Fowler (50% retained) for NASH Surin - We don't really have forwards that have Surin's edge. We might need to take a bad contract back from Nash.
Vaakanainen, Reimer for Liljegren, Myers - We would add 2 RHDs with different profiles which would allow Z and TL to be called up only when they are ready which is more ideal.

Vatrano - Mac - Strome (Why not keep last years top line together?)
Zegras - Colton - Terry
Gauthier - Carlsson - Killorn
(Fabri has a better pace for than Killorn, but we are still with him in the top 9)
Fabri- Leason - Lundy
Bench: Johnston, McGinn
Callup: Gauthier, Nesterenko, Regenda

Lacombe - Liljegren
Minty - Gudas
Dumoulin - Myers
Callup Rotation: Zellweger, Luneau

Dostal
Georgiev
How does this make us a better team? This is essentially just making trades for the sake of it

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
How does this make us a better team? This is essentially just making trades for the sake of it
Dumping Gibson's contract and potential drama created if Dostal takes the lead by season's end would be a win. Colton would be a big addition for a team that is soft and can't win faceoffs, and there is no way we could add someone like him without overpaying with a Strome type contract. The new RHDs give balance and players in their prime at 25/27 years old versus two 20-year-old top prospects still learning the pro game forced into an already young blueline. I think this would make us a steadier team to compete over the course of the season, with ideally our prospects eventually pushing though.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Dumping Gibson's contract and potential drama created if Dostal takes the lead by season's end would be a win. Colton would be a big addition for a team that is soft and can't win faceoffs, and there is no way we could add someone like him without overpaying with a Strome type contract. The new RHDs give balance and players in their prime at 25/27 years old versus two 20-year-old top prospects still learning the pro game forced into an already young blueline. I think this would make us a steadier team to compete over the course of the season, with ideally our prospects eventually pushing though.
We don’t need Colton at $4M for the next two seasons after this one, we have enough centers already. Myers is a tweener, we could’ve signed Lindstrom if we wanted that, and Liljegren is not the type of RHD we need. Fowler shouldn’t be traded now unless some team is overpaying and I don’t consider Surin that

ducknuts

Jul 8, 2023
Zergas needs to play center, and reward Lundestrom for his play + he’s good at holding onto the puck.

Gauthier - Carlsson - Lundestrom
Fabbri - Zegras - Terry
Vatrano - McTavish - Killorn
McGinn - Strome - Leason

Or

Gauthier - Carlsson - Lundestrom
Killorn - Zegras - Terry
Vatrano - McTavish - Strome
McGinn - X/Gaucher - Leason

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
We don’t need Colton at $4M for the next two seasons after this one, we have enough centers already. Myers is a tweener, we could’ve signed Lindstrom if we wanted that, and Liljegren is not the type of RHD we need. Fowler shouldn’t be traded now unless some team is overpaying and I don’t consider Surin that
None of our centers have shown to consistently win faceoffs and we are still soft up front. Myers is a tweener but there's no point of having 3 goalies with Reimer/Dansk if we picked up Georgiev, but at least he has size that we have little of and is only 27 years old. Surin would be an overpay, you are dreaming if you think we can get more than a late 1st round return for Cam with retention. Surin is the Solberg version up front in the 2024 draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad