2024-25 Roster Thread #1: The Beginninging

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'd say Boldy v York and Brink is fine.
We'll see how Perreault does at the NHL level.
Same with Buium and Luchanko.

Name me a rebuilding team with fewer 30+ players (among the 20 who play) than the Flyers.

Why would they be compared to a rebuilding team when they aren't rebuilding? By the words of their own president and actions of their own GM.

Name me a competent rebuilding team that still has Laughton and extends Hathaway and Seeler. Their youth is irrelevant. They should be younger if they were rebuilding. You've been insisting on this rebuild for what, 3? 4? years now? With no sign of it happening.

Reactions: Kelmitchell2

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Flahr is doing just fine, better since Fletcher left the room.
This is the 2nd year of what is probably a 5 year rebuild, by 2017-18 they should start to be competitive.
So far I have no problem with their drafts, especially seeing their D+1 seasons.

Thank goodness.

Thought it was just incompetence.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Flahr is doing just fine, better since Fletcher left the room.
This is the 2nd year of what is probably a 5 year rebuild, by 2017-18 they should start to be competitive.
So far I have no problem with their drafts, especially seeing their D+1 seasons.

I assume you typoed the decade, but yeah this is in fact what you were typing back in 2015/2016/2017/2018/CONTENTION/2020/2021/2022/2023 and now 2024.

And they couldn't even make it all the way through "Year 1" of their Five Year Plan without revealing the truth, which was readily observable before they blabbed it.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

They didn’t trade the Boldy pick for York and Brink. They traded it for York + 45. Still the best (non-ideal) move of the bunch I listed. Can I say that Boldy is likely worth more than both anyway (as Brink still gets scratched)? I can play that game too. How about Boldy + Hoglander + Maccelli is >>> York + Brink? They also didn’t even have their original 41st pick because of Braun.

You just said Flahr has improved. Now, it’s wait and see? He’s continuing to make major OOF picks without hindsight, passing on potential or matter of fact star after star, while banking on a rebuild philosophy that needs to nail non-gimme picks. But be my guest, use the wait and see approach for your opinions too.

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
They didn’t trade the Boldy pick for York and Brink. They traded it for York + 45. Still the best (non-ideal) move of the bunch I listed. Can I say that Boldy is likely worth more than both anyway (as Brink still gets scratched)? I can play that game too. How about Boldy + Hoglander + Maccelli is > York + Brink? They didn’t even have their original 41st pick because of Braun.

You just said Flahr has improved. Now, it’s wait and see? He’s continuing to make major OOF picks without hindsight, passing on star after star, while banking on a rebuild philosophy that needs to nail non-gimme picks. But be my guest, use the wait and see approach for your opinions too.

I don't think picking Mann is a sign of improvement

• Wow
Reactions: pit and Magua

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I don't think picking Mann is a sign of improvement

He can distract about the statistical likelihood of 7th rounders, but I’m talking about top 100 picks, let alone high ones. What even is the basis for saying the Flyers are improving?! If anything, they're getting worse, with a partially blind squirrel finds nut 2023. 2019-2020 still had some semblance of coherence with purposefully few picks. 2021 was one of the laziest recent day drafts I've witnessed. They traded their internally prized 2022 crown jewel for Drysdale (which blends with amateur scouting). 2024 was another 2021-esque disaster.

Flahr commits every draft day cardinal sin; he did it under Fletcher too, here and in Minnesota. Overvalue organizational fit for a team that has yet to plug holes; allowing past mistake-trending decisions to affect current decisions; routinely trading up in the mid-late rounds; zero understanding of the time value of picks. I think you need to be wary about naming individual names at times, but the Flyers make 1 for 1 evaluation f*** ups we can call 1 second after the pick: overlapped skill-sets, direct pass-overs, intra-team misses.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'd say Mann has a better chance of making the NHL than Pautov.
Slim v none. :DD

He can distract about the statistical likelihood of 7th rounders, but I’m talking about top 100 picks, let alone high ones. What even is the basis for saying the Flyers are improving?! If anything, they're getting worse, with a partially blind squirrel finds nut 2023. 2019-2020 still had some semblance of coherence with purposefully few picks. 2021 was one of the laziest recent day drafts I've witnessed. They traded their internally prized 2022 crown jewel for Drysdale (which blends with amateur scouting). 2024 was another 2021-esque disaster.

Flahr commits every draft day cardinal sin; he did it under Fletcher too, here and in Minnesota. Overvalue organizational fit for a team that has yet to plug holes; allowing past mistake-trending decisions to affect current decisions; routinely trading up in the mid-late rounds; zero understanding of the time value of picks. I think you need to be wary about naming individual names at times, but the Flyers make 1 for 1 evaluation f*** ups we can call 1 second after the pick: overlapped skill-sets, direct pass-overs, intra-team misses.
Yeah, I remember everyone slamming Berglund, but somehow he's in the SHL at 18 years old.
Nor is Gill embarrassing himself in the Q.
Funny thing, the pick everyone liked at the time, Kaplan, is being outplayed by Bump taken two rounds later.

Drafting is certainly not an exact science.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Yeah, I remember everyone slamming Berglund, but somehow he's in the SHL at 18 years old.

“Can we really say anything certain about one of the best 18 year old seasons in college hockey history? How about the 2nd best point producer, in his D+1, among all college forwards? Now, here’s why Berglund, doing the exceedingly rare thing of having 1 assist his D+1 in the SHL, is proof beyond a doubt…..”

Give me a break. I’m having flashbacks to Mestis production justifying why the now likely Calder favorite is a lesser prospect. Berglund is a physically mature player who has a sub-vanilla skill-set. Organizational fodder. Gill is a horrid skating defenseman. He’ll be a nothing.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Wait....so they didn't play Jett in EITHER of the b2b games?

:clap:
They were afraid if he did he would still be lodged between two of Wilson's ribs.

This is @freakydallas13 's fault.

I have discovered today that I can construct a reasonable argument that peak Brandon Manning was a more effective NHL player than Jamie Drysdale has been to date.
iu

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Alright guys here's my questions. Should we bring back Claude Giroux for the rest of his career? And Would Claude Giroux be willing to come back to Philly after his current contract ends?

I am genuinely not sure if he would be willing to. On one hand Claude spent a lotta years being an elite for this franchise, but on the other hand there is actually a few elements of a potential return he may not want to deal with. First is Torts would probably be his coach. Would a veteran All star on his way out of the league want to play his last few seasons in a Torts hard knocks environment? Second, Philly is still a high pressure market. Does he want to deal with that again in the remaining seasons of his career? Finally and most importantly, by choosing Ottawa he essentially packed his bags and went home instead of pursuing a cup with a contender. His wife is from Ottawa and his own home town isn't that far. Maybe he wants to drop anchor and settle in there permanently?

If Giroux was open to it, I would bring him back to Philly for whatever he has left in the tank. And from the above I think him being open to it that is a big if. Partially because he definitely has juice left and has looked really good with Ottawa. So he would bring good depth, but mainly I think he would be a huge benefit to Michkov. Not only can Mich learn from a long time star in this league, but Giroux can specifically help him navigate being a star in this city and leader for this franchise. That could be a really valuable add for Michkov
1 day contract at the very end...no need to waste anymore of his career here

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020

Funny thing, the pick everyone liked at the time, Kaplan, is being outplayed by Bump taken two rounds later.

I liked kaplan, but I also was the only one high on bump that year as well

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022

Name me a rebuilding team with fewer 30+ players (among the 20 who play) than the Flyers.
Do those rebuilding team have better higher end younger talent? Quality > quantity. One would think.

Do they have better farm system/prospects?

So, Danny hasn't spent any assets to improve the team. You say that is a sign of them rebuilding. Maybe. Can also be a sign of incompetence, as well as they don't have what other teams want. Need 2 to make a deal.

He refuses to deal any players with real value to expedite the rebuild. Why do you think that is?

I liked kaplan, but I also was the only one high on bump that year as well
Good possibility they let him walk.

Reactions: Kelmitchell2

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020
Do those rebuilding team have better higher end younger talent? Quality > quantity. One would think.

Do they have better farm system/prospects?

So, Danny hasn't spent any assets to improve the team. You say that is a sign of them rebuilding. Maybe. Can also be a sign of incompetence, as well as they don't have what other teams want. Need 2 to make a deal.

He refuses to deal any players with real value to expedite the rebuild. Why do you think that is?

Good possibility they let him walk.
Yeah I was very high on kaplan, but man, he has really stagnated, actually he's done worse but I definitely think bump makes this team in the next couple of years, he's a very smart player

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Mann has always had a 0% chance of making the NHL. I doubt he can make the AHL. Your boy Flahr left better players on Mann's own team on the board. The only thing he did was sort by size on Elite Prospects. That's the whole process. Ability was irrelevant, despite ability being the most important thing

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020
As was I, though be a bottom 6 NHL level player. Flyers have soured on him.
I had him a touch higher, definitely thought he could max out as a middle 6er, but yeah, i definitely saw so much more out of him his draft year, idk if it was an anomaly his draft year, but he looks like a completely different player

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad