2024-25 Roster Thread #1: The Beginninging

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'd say Boldy v York and Brink is fine.
We'll see how Perreault does at the NHL level.
Same with Buium and Luchanko.

Name me a rebuilding team with fewer 30+ players (among the 20 who play) than the Flyers.

Why would they be compared to a rebuilding team when they aren't rebuilding? By the words of their own president and actions of their own GM.

Name me a competent rebuilding team that still has Laughton and extends Hathaway and Seeler. Their youth is irrelevant. They should be younger if they were rebuilding. You've been insisting on this rebuild for what, 3? 4? years now? With no sign of it happening.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Flahr is doing just fine, better since Fletcher left the room.
This is the 2nd year of what is probably a 5 year rebuild, by 2017-18 they should start to be competitive.
So far I have no problem with their drafts, especially seeing their D+1 seasons.

Thank goodness.

Thought it was just incompetence.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Flahr is doing just fine, better since Fletcher left the room.
This is the 2nd year of what is probably a 5 year rebuild, by 2017-18 they should start to be competitive.
So far I have no problem with their drafts, especially seeing their D+1 seasons.

I assume you typoed the decade, but yeah this is in fact what you were typing back in 2015/2016/2017/2018/CONTENTION/2020/2021/2022/2023 and now 2024.

And they couldn't even make it all the way through "Year 1" of their Five Year Plan without revealing the truth, which was readily observable before they blabbed it.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I'd say Boldy v York and Brink is fine.

They didn’t trade the Boldy pick for York and Brink. They traded it for York + 45. Still the best (non-ideal) move of the bunch I listed. Can I say that Boldy is likely worth more than both anyway (as Brink still gets scratched)? I can play that game too. How about Boldy + Hoglander + Maccelli is >>> York + Brink? They also didn’t even have their original 41st pick because of Braun.

You just said Flahr has improved. Now, it’s wait and see? He’s continuing to make major OOF picks without hindsight, passing on potential or matter of fact star after star, while banking on a rebuild philosophy that needs to nail non-gimme picks. But be my guest, use the wait and see approach for your opinions too.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
They didn’t trade the Boldy pick for York and Brink. They traded it for York + 45. Still the best (non-ideal) move of the bunch I listed. Can I say that Boldy is likely worth more than both anyway (as Brink still gets scratched)? I can play that game too. How about Boldy + Hoglander + Maccelli is > York + Brink? They didn’t even have their original 41st pick because of Braun.

You just said Flahr has improved. Now, it’s wait and see? He’s continuing to make major OOF picks without hindsight, passing on star after star, while banking on a rebuild philosophy that needs to nail non-gimme picks. But be my guest, use the wait and see approach for your opinions too.

I don't think picking Mann is a sign of improvement

• Wow
Reactions: Magua

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I don't think picking Mann is a sign of improvement

He can distract about the statistical likelihood of 7th rounders, but I’m talking about top 100 picks, let alone high ones. What even is the basis for saying the Flyers are improving?! If anything, they're getting worse, with a partially blind squirrel finds nut 2023. 2019-2020 still had some semblance of coherence with purposefully few picks. 2021 was one of the laziest recent day drafts I've witnessed. They traded their internally prized 2022 crown jewel for Drysdale (which blends with amateur scouting). 2024 was another 2021-esque disaster.

Flahr commits every draft day cardinal sin; he did it under Fletcher too, here and in Minnesota. Overvalue organizational fit for a team that has yet to plug holes; allowing past mistake-trending decisions to affect current decisions; routinely trading up in the mid-late rounds; zero understanding of the time value of picks. I think you need to be wary about naming individual names at times, but the Flyers make 1 for 1 evaluation f*** ups we can call 1 second after the pick: overlapped skill-sets, direct pass-overs, intra-team misses.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'd say Mann has a better chance of making the NHL than Pautov.
Slim v none. :DD

He can distract about the statistical likelihood of 7th rounders, but I’m talking about top 100 picks, let alone high ones. What even is the basis for saying the Flyers are improving?! If anything, they're getting worse, with a partially blind squirrel finds nut 2023. 2019-2020 still had some semblance of coherence with purposefully few picks. 2021 was one of the laziest recent day drafts I've witnessed. They traded their internally prized 2022 crown jewel for Drysdale (which blends with amateur scouting). 2024 was another 2021-esque disaster.

Flahr commits every draft day cardinal sin; he did it under Fletcher too, here and in Minnesota. Overvalue organizational fit for a team that has yet to plug holes; allowing past mistake-trending decisions to affect current decisions; routinely trading up in the mid-late rounds; zero understanding of the time value of picks. I think you need to be wary about naming individual names at times, but the Flyers make 1 for 1 evaluation f*** ups we can call 1 second after the pick: overlapped skill-sets, direct pass-overs, intra-team misses.
Yeah, I remember everyone slamming Berglund, but somehow he's in the SHL at 18 years old.
Nor is Gill embarrassing himself in the Q.
Funny thing, the pick everyone liked at the time, Kaplan, is being outplayed by Bump taken two rounds later.

Drafting is certainly not an exact science.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Yeah, I remember everyone slamming Berglund, but somehow he's in the SHL at 18 years old.
Nor is Gill embarrassing himself in the Q.

“Can we really say anything certain about one of the best 18 year old seasons in college hockey history? How about the 2nd best point producer, in his D+1, among all college forwards? Now, here’s why Berglund, doing the exceedingly rare thing of having 1 assist his D+1 in the SHL, is proof beyond a doubt…..”

Give me a break. I’m having flashbacks to Mestis production justifying why the now likely Calder favorite is a lesser prospect. Berglund is a physically mature player who has a sub-vanilla skill-set. Organizational fodder. Gill is a horrid skating defenseman. He’ll be a nothing.

Reactions: FLYguy3911

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Victory laps over a guy scoring at a lower rate in the Q than he did last year. :laugh:

*the Q gets worse by the year.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Wait....so they didn't play Jett in EITHER of the b2b games?

:clap:
They were afraid if he did he would still be lodged between two of Wilson's ribs.

This is @freakydallas13 's fault.

I have discovered today that I can construct a reasonable argument that peak Brandon Manning was a more effective NHL player than Jamie Drysdale has been to date.
iu

• Haha
Reactions: Hanover Fist

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad