Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
Reactions: FLYguy3911

Tarpongg

#fakerebuild #cutterwasright #AlexeiAWOL
May 26, 2012
I don’t think we talk enough about how they fired the previous GM, no one on his staff, replaced said GM with an internal candidate and no formal interview process and expected everything to be fine and dandy.
The predictable next chapter in this fake rebuild will be this off season, after attendance drops off a cliff, when the mandate to contend for the playoffs comes. They will be trading draft capital and chasing every free agent.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I remember when Fletcher was fired and O'Connor was sure that this was just the beginning in a major housecleaning. Still waiting.
Players gone from 2022-23:

[Braun, Brown, MacEwen traded at TDL]
JVR, Hayes
Lemieux
Provorov, TDA
Hart
Allison, Laczynksi, Willman, Bellows out of the league

Older players left from that team: Couts (29), Laughton (28), Deslauriers (31), Seeler (29), Risto (28)
Only players added: Hathaway, Poehling, E Johnson

Not much to "house clean." Seeler and Hathaway didn't have that much value, Deslauriers, Risto unmoveable with their contracts.
So the only two credible moves were to trade TK and Laughton.

Reactions: Don Nachbaur 26

Hanover Fist

Aug 22, 2018
1313 Mockingbird Lane

JVR, Hayes
Lemieux
Provorov, TDA
Hart

Older players left from that team: Couts (29), Laughton (28), Deslauriers (31), Seeler (29), Risto (28)

Not much to "house clean." Seeler and Hathaway didn't have that much value, Deslauriers, Risto unmoveable with their contracts.
Only two guys that would get you something in return. They resigned TK and kept Laughton until his value tanked…. go figure

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
We are second last in HDSH% and dead-last in PDO. It should theoretically fix over time... But if Tippet keeps shooting as he is now (I don't count last night's lucky 5-hole goal much) - who knows.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
They are seriously going to have to make a decision on Fedotov sooner than expected.

I really like the guy, I am so happy he's in North America and gets a shot at redemption...but he might have to go.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022

JVR, Hayes
Lemieux
Provorov, TDA
Hart

What value do you think they had at the past deadline. Easily could have received back a 3rd rd pick.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
There are two things I took from that game:

1. Michkov is still damn good and from his reaction at the end, the kid legit gives that much of a shit about winning. Love the kid.
2. If Fedotov can piece together what he did in the last 30 minutes of that game into the rest of the season, he may turn out "okay".

Actually, you know what, number 3:

Torts literally has no f***ing clue how to coach in the modern NHL and literally gives no time to lines and getting people going. It's all scattershot and it's worse for the team and worse for the players. Everyone suffers.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC

JVR, Hayes
Lemieux
Provorov, TDA
Hart

Hart? Give me a break, the Flyers didn't move on from him by choice.

Lemieux was a deadline rental pickup, absolutely not someone you should give them credit for "moving out".

The last 4 players are AHL scrubs, not exactly ground breaking stuff there.

JVR's contract expired, big whoop.

So the list of people that mattered they actively moved on from is 3 players: Hayes, Provy, and TDA. Two malcontents and someone who was vastly under performing compared to his contract.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hart? Give me a break, the Flyers didn't move on from him by choice.

Lemieux was a deadline rental pickup, absolutely not someone you should give them credit for "moving out".

The last 4 players are AHL scrubs, not exactly ground breaking stuff there.

JVR's contract expired, big whoop.

So the list of people that mattered they actively moved in from is 3 players: Hayes, Provy, and TDA. Two malcontents and someone who was vastly under performing compared to his contract.
They were supposed to trade 22 year old forwards for draft picks?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
That's not what I said.

I just pointed out that the list of players you posted has a lot of fluff to make it look longer. The number of players who mattered and the team actively moved on from is 3 players from that time period.
That's because there wasn't much of a veteran core.

It wasn't like the Rangers a few years ago who had a bunch of veterans in their last season they could deal for picks and clear cap.

CF traded most of the marginal veterans at the TDL (other than JVR), and the rest had little value.

This was less about blowing it up than letting the decaying pieces fall off.

Reactions: freakydallas13

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
That's because there wasn't much of a veteran core.

It wasn't like the Rangers a few years ago who had a bunch of veterans in their last season they could deal for picks and clear cap.

CF traded most of the marginal veterans at the TDL (other than JVR), and the rest had little value.

This was less about blowing it up than letting the decaying pieces fall off.
Agreed, it was more of a passive process, but they did turn over a decent portion of the roster.

I wish they would gut the front office more, but such is life.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Agreed, it was more of a passive process, but they did turn over a decent portion of the roster.

I wish they would gut the front office more, but such is life.
I think if you look at the FO 3 years ago and now, about 1/3 are gone.

Biggest change was demoting Brown as head of pro scouting.
Most of the development people are new, analytics budget is probably double.
Some of this started under CF, which tells you how resource starved the org was, not b/c they couldn't pay for it, but I think Holmgren/Hextall thought they didn't need it. Dinos.

Amateur scouting wasn't really the problem, GMs tend to control 1st rd picks, scouts make their impact more on later picks (b/c GM has time to look at film on 10-20 players, not 200-300). Flyers have been pretty solid after the first 2 rounds (Cates, Ersson, Fedotov, Zavragin, Lycksell, etc.). But those later picks tend to be org depth, can't waste top 40 picks.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Wait....so they didn't play Jett in EITHER of the b2b games?

:clap:
Seems like he'll be going back to Junior soon.

So the list of people that mattered they actively moved on from is 3 players: Hayes, Provy, and TDA. Two malcontents and someone who was vastly under performing compared to his contract.
Which one is the second malcontent - Hayes or Provy? Cause they were both underperforming their contracts. :laugh:

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022

Some of this started under CF, which tells you how resource starved the org was, not b/c they couldn't pay for it, but I think Holmgren/Hextall thought they didn't need it. Dinos.

Amateur scouting wasn't really the problem, GMs tend to control 1st rd picks, scouts make their impact more on later picks (b/c GM has time to look at film on 10-20 players, not 200-300). Flyers have been pretty solid after the first 2 rounds (Cates, Ersson, Fedotov, Zavragin, Lycksell, etc.). But those later picks tend to be org depth, can't waste top 40 picks.
They have not been solid after first 2 rounds. 2 players on the NHL roster. That isnt pretty solid. Not counting Ivan just yet.

Do they even use the expensive analytics dept they have in place now? My guess is no.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC

They promoted the special assistant to the GM to GM, promoted the broadcaster to president, kept the head coach, kept the assistant GM, I think kept all the assistant coaches (I can't remember if they replaced one?), kept Homer, kept all the senior advisors, added an additional crony advisor. Got rid of I think one scout. Oh and changed chairmen.

That's not exactly a house cleaning, that's just more Flyers nepotism and shuffling off a few people while replacing them with more company men.

• Haha
Reactions: bennysflyers16

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad