2024-25 Roster Thread #1: The Beginninging

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
The mournful thing being they don't realize that they should have been selling off last year, the year before, and this year. This roster ain't It. Nothing in the pipeline will make it It. Taking steps to become It in the future is the only option and they can't figure it out.

They have one metric Michkov and 19 imperial tons of nonsense that mostly won't be relevant at all to his prime and his best window for contention. And the time to begin fixing that was the second after they said his name at the draft.

They aren’t tanking.

You are much more likely to see them make a move for a centre this season if things start to go truly sideways.

That’s far more likely imo.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
@deadhead care to explain that then?
What. Frost is primarily a defensive center right now?

They're not playing him the most minutes to play defense, they can start Cates if that's what they want, Cates actually matched up well against top centers as a rookie.

Frost should be "the man" on offense.
If you want good defense, and low event hockey, make Cates and Couts your top centers.

Now I don't take 5 games too seriously, but it's time for your most talented offensive forwards to, well, create some offense, Frost, Michkov, TK and Tippett.

sauce88

Jul 6, 2011

They're not playing him the most minutes to play defense, they can start Cates if that's what they want, Cates actually matched up well against top centers as a rookie.

If you want good defense, and low event hockey, make Cates and Couts your top centers.

Now I don't take 5 games too seriously, but it's time for your most talented offensive forwards to, well, create some offense, Frost, Michkov, TK and Tippett.

While I agree there needs to be some more production from Frost, I don't think Tortorella gives centers the same leash offensively as wingers. He clearly has chemistry with Michkov, they've missed on some opportunities, and while Tippett has chemistry with Frost, he looks lost when he plays with both Frost and Michkov. Again it's only been 5 games so it's possible they can gel, the merry go round lineup doesn't really help with that.

I don't think a center is ever going to be "the man" in a Torts system.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They aren’t tanking.

You are much more likely to see them make a move for a centre this season if things start to go truly sideways.

That’s far more likely imo.
The only move for a center would be something like Laughton for Kreps.
They would certainly jump at a center 25 or under.

They're not paying real assets for a veteran center to salvage a season in which they weren't planning on making the playoffs.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
Colorado
The mournful thing being they don't realize that they should have been selling off last year, the year before, and this year. This roster ain't It. Nothing in the pipeline will make it It. Taking steps to become It in the future is the only option and they can't figure it out.

They have one metric Michkov and 19 imperial tons of nonsense that mostly won't be relevant at all to his prime and his best window for contention. And the time to begin fixing that was the second after they said his name at the draft.
I think they do realize they have a weak roster and i think they were surprised the team and especially Couts performed so well in the the first half of the year. They had only have one asset that could potentially get them a decent draft choice or C last year and that was TK. I dont believe for one second that someone was offering a top draft choice for Laughton, makes no sense. Getting more 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks arent going to solve the talent problem, they have enough of those guys. I also think its too early to worry about shedding salary because no top FA are going to come here without a massive overpay and I just dont think we are quite ready for that.

Reactions: deadhead

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I think they do realize they have a weak roster and i think they were surprised the team and especially Couts performed so well in the the first half of the year. They had only have one asset that could potentially get them a decent draft choice or C last year and that was TK. I dont believe for one second that someone was offering a top draft choice for Laughton, makes no sense. Getting more 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks arent going to solve the talent problem, they have enough of those guys. I also think its too early to worry about shedding salary because no top FA are going to come here without a massive overpay and I just dont think we are quite ready for that.

It was reported that a 1st was on the table for Laughton, and a king's ransom for trading Seeler and Walker as a pair. They chose to turn these things down.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They may still trade Laughton at some point this year. Timing may depend how the team is doing.
Even if Luchanko goes down, doubt they want to bury Cates or Laughton on the 4th line.

Tippett - Frost - TK
Farabee - Couts - Michkov
Foerster - Laughton - Brink
Cates - Poehling - Hathaway

His good start might garner you a 2nd and 3rd or so.
No one else with real trade value, Seeler and Hathaway might garner a 3rd, maybe a 2nd for Seeler.
Risto's contract makes him hard to move for any assets until next summer.
Don't think they'd move any of the 25 and under players unless it's a deal for a top under 25 player.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It was reported that a 1st was on the table for Laughton, and a king's ransom for trading Seeler and Walker as a pair. They chose to turn these things down.
What King's ransom? They got a 1st for Walker by taking Johansen's contract back, what was offered for them as a pair? Note that Walker is third pair on Carolina.

I suspect the Laughton offer was similar to Walker, 1st for Laughton and a salary dump/3rd going back. Similar to Goodrow trade.

There's a balance, you want some veterans to cushion the adjustment for young players (just look at the roster of the other rebuilding teams, Chicago, Anahiem, San Jose, CBJ, all have more veterans in their starting lineup). Seeler is a good partner for Drysdale. Hathaway is a tone setter. Risto is a contract issue. Only other over 30 player is Couts, and he ain't going nowhere. Deslauriers and Johnson are bench warmers.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004

He's second in points playing for a dinosaur with guys like Tippy missing chance after chance.

The only move for a center would be something like Laughton for Kreps.
They would certainly jump at a center 25 or under.

They're not paying real assets for a veteran center to salvage a season in which they weren't planning on making the playoffs.
Krebs is an actual Laughton clone, that move would be moronic and Sabres would make that trade in a millisecond.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
Colorado
"reported"?? Walker was far superior and in demand and he got a late 1st after taking salary and send a pick back. I dont beleive it now that CF and Mike Middlebury are out of the league. I have to admit I like Seeler but a "kings ransom" what like a third. The truth is they dont have much of value that is worth trading at this point.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The guys who tend to garner real value at the TDL are quality veterans with no term on their deal, like Giroux. If they didn't sign TK, he could have garnered something like a late 1st and 2nd and a "B" asset, that's the typical payment for a first line median forward. Given they're already looking at (2) 1sts in the 20s, that wouldn't move the needle very far.

Guys with term tend to be traded in the summer, when teams can bring them in as part of team building, after they've had a chance to evaluate where the franchise is going forward.

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020

I knew you'd ignore the set up numbers

Easy, he's not the best
Never said he was the best?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad