2024-25 Roster Thread #1: The Beginninging

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Meanwhile Kolosov is getting lit up in the first period tonight.

Way too small of a sample size to start drawing conclusions about the team, but I like setting the table before we have those discussions.

team-Shot-Loc-2425-PHI-off.png

team-Shot-Loc-2425-PHI-def.png

Some minor positives like movement and in-close Shot generation on the PP, but overall one horrendous road trip. Just putrid.
You say putrid, a WIP caller called in tonight to proclaim the Flyers "ballers" after watching that road trip. :laugh:

Last edited:

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Revealed preference. If Buium was really considered top 5, someone would have jumped on him.
Players considered to be at or near the top of their draft class can drop for stupid reasons, it doesn't have to mean that they aren't that good.

Couts of Michkov are examples on this on this team.

I object to the idea that NHL orgs are this comfortable with risk. Or at least that they parse it this well.

As we’ve discussed before, these falls often happen because a player may be 2nd on a string of boards in a row. Sometimes there’s nothing to read into them. They can just be a function of the sequencing of the standings. It’s the same mechanic you’ve described here, but for a reason that makes it ring more true to me.
If you poll a hundred people on what is worth more, 99¢ or $1, all of them should tell you it's $1. Doesn't mean they are far apart though.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
And this has been precisely a criticism I have had against Tortorella for ages; pay attention to how often his teams pass across the far goalpost. It doesn't take careful tallying to leave any game aware that they barely try it relative to opponents. Goalies are covering half the ice at a time.

It all stems from his treatment of offense as another form of defense. Keep the puck on the other end, do nothing to risk giving it to the other team. He doesn't care that it slashes the chances of scoring, because scoring isn't the point. Preventing the other team from scoring is. Been talking about it since before he was hired.
The "Safe at all costs" this team clings to is incredibly boring to watch, personally. Stifling offence for the sake of defence does not a palatable product make.

Reactions: BernieParent

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I am a little surprised no one has discussed it here yet. Feddy Tov is certainly a concern.

From my perspective I think the solution is rather simple. Some may be opposed, but I think it helps everyone. Call up Kolosov and carry 3 goalies this season. That solves Kolosov wanting to dip out to Europe and possibly goalie 2. While I am concerned about starting Feddy between the pipes, if the reports that he and Meech are close are true and Meech wants Feddy to stay, I would be thrilled to keep him around as the captain of locker room vibes for Russian players and maybe give him a game or two a month.

Now, carrying 3 goalies isn't necessarily a bad idea, but the roster is full. That is solved with one rather easy move. Send Jett back to Guelph. I know that take may not be popular. Everyone is thrilled he looks solid in the NHL at 17. I'm certainly higher on him than I was, but... let's all be real for second and think about it like this. Has Jett being in the lineup provided an amount of positive benefit that out weighs the amount of Negative Feddy has brought to the lineup? The answer, least from my perspective, is : I am not sure it possible for single skater to provide enough positive to outweigh the massive negative between the pipes from Feddy.

Why Jett though? There are actually various reasons. First and Foremost he is child and unlike some, I think going back to Junior and leading canadas WJC team will benefit the growth of his offensive game. Secondly, it is so much smarter contractually. Not only would going back potentially help him, but you don't burn a year off his ELC. Thirdly, and this is my main reason. It may require some soul searching to be neautral, but from a neautral view through 4 games has Jett actually made all that big of an impact? And has the small amount of good impact he has had really been that irreplaceable to the point it justifies burning a year off his elc? If your answer is anything, but "no" I am not sure we saw the games the way. He has been solid. Solid isn't good. Solid isn't bad either, but... is not being awful really the standard this franchise wants to shoot for? You could even tell this kid you have to do it to solve the goalie problem, but "hey, you blew us away. You can hold youre own here, but we think you are capable of more. Work hard this season and force us to regret sending you back"

If Jett is gone, play coots & Laughton more. I know some fans hate them for some reason, laughton probably more so than coots, but they are good hockey players. Both thrived last game and I wouldn't be opposed to letting coots park his massive frame in front of the Tendy on one of the PP units. Let Laughton loose too. The only kid that should be force fed minutes on this team is meech(Unless he is playing truly awful). All other kids, while still deserving of consistent playing time through rolling the lines, need to start banging the door down. Prove they deserve more. This team needs another star. It could easily be one of these kids on the team. It is time for them to prove that.
I was thinking of the 3-goalie option, too, Mr. Person, particularly for Fedorov to spend a ton of time with Dillabaugh.

Reactions: MrGuyPerson

scumpup

Nov 29, 2021
it's futile... either drop the sport or find a new team. raleigh and manhattan arent that far away.

fedotov looks so horrible in net it makes me doubt what we ever saw in him playing in the KHL. totally different players. He needs to shape the f*** upl.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad