2024-25 Roster Thread #1: The Beginninging

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Fedotov needs to play if there’s any hope of him getting better so no point carrying him as the 3rd goalie. Just waive him. He won’t even be the Phantoms highest paid goalie.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Meanwhile Kolosov is getting lit up in the first period tonight.

Way too small of a sample size to start drawing conclusions about the team, but I like setting the table before we have those discussions.

team-Shot-Loc-2425-PHI-off.png

team-Shot-Loc-2425-PHI-def.png

Some minor positives like movement and in-close Shot generation on the PP, but overall one horrendous road trip. Just putrid.
You say putrid, a WIP caller called in tonight to proclaim the Flyers "ballers" after watching that road trip. :laugh:

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Revealed preference. If Buium was really considered top 5, someone would have jumped on him.
Players considered to be at or near the top of their draft class can drop for stupid reasons, it doesn't have to mean that they aren't that good.

Couts of Michkov are examples on this on this team.

I object to the idea that NHL orgs are this comfortable with risk. Or at least that they parse it this well.

As we’ve discussed before, these falls often happen because a player may be 2nd on a string of boards in a row. Sometimes there’s nothing to read into them. They can just be a function of the sequencing of the standings. It’s the same mechanic you’ve described here, but for a reason that makes it ring more true to me.
If you poll a hundred people on what is worth more, 99¢ or $1, all of them should tell you it's $1. Doesn't mean they are far apart though.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
And this has been precisely a criticism I have had against Tortorella for ages; pay attention to how often his teams pass across the far goalpost. It doesn't take careful tallying to leave any game aware that they barely try it relative to opponents. Goalies are covering half the ice at a time.

It all stems from his treatment of offense as another form of defense. Keep the puck on the other end, do nothing to risk giving it to the other team. He doesn't care that it slashes the chances of scoring, because scoring isn't the point. Preventing the other team from scoring is. Been talking about it since before he was hired.
The "Safe at all costs" this team clings to is incredibly boring to watch, personally. Stifling offence for the sake of defence does not a palatable product make.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad