2024-25 Roster Thread #1: The Beginninging

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I don't mind giving them credit for drafting Michkov and getting him over early. It definitely hasn't signaled any kind of overall change in organizational philosophy, though. They currently have five 4th liners making $11,650,000 combined.

Believe that's the most consistent, unchanged line, too. Their bedrock and foundation.

Reactions: GapToothedWonder

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
I don't mind giving them credit for drafting Michkov and getting him over early. It definitely hasn't signaled any kind of overall change in organizational philosophy, though. They currently have five 4th liners making $11,650,000 combined.
if MTL didnt f*** it up like they did. MM would have been gone and this Org. would have taken some big body grinder Dman..

Reactions: GapToothedWonder

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
It didn't fall into their laps, Briere was prepared to trade up to get Michkov, but when teams shied away b/c of the Russian/3yr deal issue, he pounced.

The 1st rd picks under Flahr/Briere
York #14, Foerster #23, Gauthier #5, Michkov #7, Bonk, #22, Luchanko #13
He absolutely fell into their lap, perhaps somewhat of his own doing. Who cares what Briere was prepared to do, he didn't have to. Because....he fell in their lap. There was no pouncing. He just made one of the most blatantly obvious picks I've ever seen I sports.

Give them credit for not being deterred by the Russian/contract stuff. That's totally fair. As Jojo said, you could argue he made it easy for them, but they still did it so props to them. But saying he didn't fall to them is nonsense.

They had another guy fall to them last draft, but went "smartest guys in the room" If Michkov wasn't the prospect he was, who's to say they wouldn't have done the same back then? There was chatter that the trade up was for Reinbacher, btw.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
Colorado
Or pass on one when he fell into their lap last draft.
1D's dont just drop to 12/13 for no reason. As many others have said the fact that his agent was the same as CGs probably made this a non starter especially for the Flyers where I'm sure there is bad blood.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
Colorado
I think most people here didnt think MM would drop past Montreal. So I thought they would take Leonard but some thought the Dman Montreal took. I really think MM told some clubs he was staying in Russia so they wouldnt pick him. It seems for whatever reason he wanted to come to Philly.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
1D's dont just drop to 12/13 for no reason. As many others have said the fact that his agent was the same as CGs probably made this a non starter especially for the Flyers where I'm sure there is bad blood.
How about the other 11 teams? Ok, 10. Why did he fall past 5 other D-men?

Size matters, but not when a player is 6'0.
Where size comes into play is under 5'10.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
Colorado
I was just looking at the 2021 draft where we donated our pick to Buffalo. Outside the top 5 picks only 6 players have played more than 40 games!

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
1D's dont just drop to 12/13 for no reason.

They often fall even further.

Erik Karlsson - 15th
Shea Weber - 49th
Brent Burns - 20th
Adam Fox - 66th
Roman Josi - 38th
Duncan Keith - 54th
Zdeno Chara - 56th
PK Subban - 43rd

And that's just me thinking of Norris winners. Doesn't include Kris Letang, Shea Weber, Josh Morrissey, Charlie McAvoy and so on.

If the Flyers are going to be scared off good players because they have a bad relationship with an agent, that's just putting themselves in a giant hole needlessly.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
Colorado

Erik Karlsson - 15th
Shea Weber - 49th
Brent Burns - 20th
Adam Fox - 66th
Roman Josi - 38th
Duncan Keith - 54th
Zdeno Chara - 56th
PK Subban - 43rd

And that's just me thinking of Norris winners. Doesn't include Kris Letang, Shea Weber, Josh Morrissey, Charlie McAvoy and so on.

If the Flyers are going to be scared off good players because they have a bad relationship with an agent, that's just putting themselves in a giant hole needlessly.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Erik Karlsson - 15th
Shea Weber - 49th
Brent Burns - 20th
Adam Fox - 66th
Roman Josi - 38th
Duncan Keith - 54th
Zdeno Chara - 56th
PK Subban - 43rd

That's why I like how they're situated in this draft, they can target a trade up, use the picks or package them with prospects to target a player. If they come away with three top 6/top 4 starters, that will jump start the rebuild.

That gives a margin of error, you can still miss on a couple and come out smelling like roses.

And if Zavragin turns out to be the next Shesterkin, we can start building a statute of Briere outside the stadium. :naughty:

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
Colorado
Thats hardly often and in all but two of those the same team passed on them at least once. It is true some kids just blossom later. As far as ZB, if the agent you have had a contentious relationship and forced a trade says we are thinking of staying in school because they are targeting a certain draft position for him, there is no way you are going to take him. Why do you think everyone else passed on him?

That's why I like how they're situated in this draft, they can target a trade up, use the picks or package them with prospects to target a player. If they come away with three top 6/top 4 starters, that will jump start the rebuild.

That gives a margin of error, you can still miss on a couple and come out smelling like roses.

And if Zavragin turns out to be the next Shesterkin, we can start building a statute of Briere outside the stadium. :naughty:
It wont matter if they cant find a center or two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad