2024-25 Roster Thread #1: The Beginninging

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
They're still pretty bad, only 2 draft picks on the current roster
Alriksson F #107-2023
Cam Allen D #123-2023
McFadden (17), McKenzie (17), Namestnikov (20), McLean (16), McGuire (20), Paquette (18), Stevens (16), Karabela (20) are the top scoring forwards so far.

So it might be better in a year, but it's not a great group of forwards to play with right now.

It would be fine. The playing time is what matters more.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
What is the scene with the Guelph team? Are they bad and keeping Luchanko in Philly is better for his development than being with Guelph and playing in the OHL?
They are 3-3 with 19 GF and 20 GA, missing their best player.

I have literally never seen this narrative before that an 18 year old needs to play in the NHL because his CHL team isn't good enough. It's crazy.

WolfOfBroadStreet14

Aug 15, 2020
What’s the deal with Dylan Cozens? Two years ago he looked on the path to being a top line center and a star. After a disappointing season last year he now has 0 points in first five games averaging more ice time than ever. Sabres can’t afford to wait forever and with his cap hit he could be a by low target. Is there still a good player in there? Would he be worth taking a shot at?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What’s the deal with Dylan Cozens? Two years ago he looked on the path to being a top line center and a star. After a disappointing season last year he now has 0 points in first five games averaging more ice time than ever. Sabres can’t afford to wait forever and with his cap hit he could be a by low target. Is there still a good player in there? Would he be worth taking a shot at?
He's still their 2C, regressed a bit last season but this scoreless run is probably just SSS variance.
I think expectations are probably more subdued, more 2C than 1C but he's only 23.

MrGuyPerson

Aug 19, 2020
Man, I wish JJ Peterka was a flyer. He was the guy I wanted them to take in 2020. That is in no way a knock on Foerster, it is just the reality of my preferences in that draft.

At least the Flyers didn't pass on JJP twice though. After the Flyers passed, I hoped the sens would take him at 28 and 34/35

Last edited:
Reactions: Curufinwe

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
It looks like Pettersson sucks in Vancouver, but he's a former 100 point player and still 25, he just can't forget how to play hockey. So it's either he's injured (which Vancouver management denies) or doesn' get along well with Tocchet and his system.

What can Vancouver do with him? Obviously, either fire Tocchet and hope Pettersson will get back to previous self with a new coach or trade him.

I'd say the Flyers have some very good wingers who can exactly be what Pettersson needs, and he's ok defensively so I doubt Torts will be mad on him very often. The only problem is salary. Pettersson's AAV is $11.6M, pretty risky and more important Flyers don't have enough space. But it could be an interesting gamble.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
It looks like Pettersson sucks in Vancouver, but he's a former 100 point player and still 25, he just can't forget how to play hockey. So it's either he's injured (which Vancouver management denies) or doesn' get along well with Tocchet and his system.

What can Vancouver do with him? Obviously, either fire Tocchet and hope Pettersson will get back to previous self with a new coach or trade him.

I'd say the Flyers have some very good wingers who can exactly be what Pettersson needs, and he's ok defensively so I doubt Torts will be mad on him very often. The only problem is salary. Pettersson's AAV is $11.6M, pretty risky and more important Flyers don't have enough space. But it could be an interesting gamble.

Interesting gamble but the price to acquire would be astronomical.

A team wouldn’t have to pay anything for that level of talent if they have the balls to ensure they draft low enough for a few seasons.

I’m of the opinion you don’t trade for top tier talent. You draft it.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Interesting gamble but the price to acquire would be astronomical.

A team wouldn’t have to pay anything for that level of talent if they have the balls to ensure they draft low enough for a few seasons.

I’m of the opinion you don’t trade for top tier talent. You draft it.

Right now Pettersson isn't worth $11.6M, not even close. At least for Vancouver. Morgan Frost looks way better than him. So they could offer Frost +1st for Pettersson. Is this astronomical? And again, Flyers would need to dump almost $9M, and it's hardly possible.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016

That would be like Buffaslugs trading away Eichel lol.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
ASF mentioned that the Flyers have been outscored 9-3 at even strength. Last year they were a very decent even strength team.

What's your take on the issue?

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
ASF mentioned that the Flyers have been outscored 9-3 at even strength. Last year they were a very decent even strength team.

My take is that they are really hurting down the middle at Center.

Couturier just doesn't have it offensively anymore. Frost is not a #1C. And Luchanko just turned 18.

They desperately need a #1C. Or at least a #2 caliber they can play in the top 6.

They also need to shore up the D. Having Seeler back will help. Additionally, they need to improve on the spot Zamula is taking up.

Hard to trade for a top 2 center and/or a top 4 Dman in-season. Probably will have to wait until the offseason, when players become available, contracts come off the books, and the cap goes up.

In the interim, you hope Andrae impresses in the AHL and can take Zamula's spot on D. See what you have there. And focus your assets on trying, perhaps in vain, to get another center during the season.

Lastly, you need to hope Fedotov can adjust and play at an acceptable NHL level. If not, you need to hope Kolosov proves worthy of a call-up to replace Fedotov.

JojoTheWhale

Lusting Stromboli
May 22, 2008

It’s a common thought that he might just be a Winger. Horrendous defensive impacts. Also not a great finisher. Weird player.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
My take is that it's too early in the season to look at any stats with real confidence.
Especially on a West Coast road trip where it's hard to practice, when you've just started the season.
We'll have a much better take on the team after the six game homestand.
If they don't look better at the end of that stretch, then it may be a long season.

It’s a common thought that he might just be a Winger. Horrendous defensive impacts. Also not a great finisher. Weird player.
Could be the "Buffalo effect," too many players have left there and had much better careers.
That to me is evidence of bad coaching.

If players leave and die, it's probably player evaluation (amateur and or pro scouting) that's at fault.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022

Couturier just doesn't have it offensively anymore. Frost is not a #1C. And Luchanko just turned 18.

They desperately need a #1C. Or at least a #2 caliber they can play in the top 6.

They also need to shore up the D. Having Seeler back will help. Additionally, they need to improve on the spot Zamula is taking up.

Hard to trade for a top 2 center and/or a top 4 Dman in-season. Probably will have to wait until the offseason, when players become available, contracts come off the books, and the cap goes up.

In the interim, you hope Andrae impresses in the AHL and can take Zamula's spot on D. See what you have there. And focus your assets on trying, perhaps in vain, to get another center during the season.

Lastly, you need to hope Fedotov can adjust and play at an acceptable NHL level. If not, you need to hope Kolosov proves worthy of a call-up to replace Fedotov.
Zamula is playing close to 20 minutes a night. Someone sees something.

Risto at almost 19. Those 2 playing that many minutes will not cut it. Bottom pair of EJ and JD getting what 13? Top pair 23? Overall, just a bad De corp to me. Top pair will wear down in time as not really a true top pair.

Center group has to be a bottom 5 group. Just overall not good.

Flyers have sucked for so long yet have neither a top center or top D.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Good thing they fixed the PP! :laugh:

I do mostly agree with COC that we should wait till the 10 game mark to really look at ES performance. For example, Farabee has been getting crushed in possession numbers in this 3 game sample. I assume that won't last since he was decent over the past three seasons.

Reactions: flyersnorth

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019

Yeah the center depth certainly is a weak spot. Last year was kind of similar - Frost, Poehling, Coots (partly), Laughton, Cates occasionally I think.

Defense was more mobile with Walker back there. Not impressed with Zamula. He's fine, but he seems easily replaceable. I'd like to see Andrae.

Agree on Fedotov too. I'm not sold on him. I think we'll see Kolosov before US Thanksgiving.

Funny the Flyers have gone from an even strength team to a PP team all of a sudden ha! Of course, it's only 3 games at the start of the season on a west coast road trip, so there's that.

Reactions: renberg

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
When a club is weak through the center of the ice, they're doomed. Maybe Coots has an injury or maybe he's cooked. His present decline is a problem. If he was what he was before the injury, the Flyers would be better off at the position and Luchanko would be in Juniors. If things don't get resolved at center, it's going to be a top five DC in the '05 draft.
The defense will work its way out. Shaw will put something together that will be respectable with the pieces that he has.
Goaltending could be a mess with Ersson being run into the ground again. Fedotenko needs to show that he is an NHL level goaltender; I seriously have my doubts with him. I agree with Kolosov being up by Thanksgiving. He might not be up to the task either. Makiniemi anyone?
On a positive note, if things go as bad as they might here, how long does Torts get to hang around and make a bad situation worse?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad